Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Flank Steak Pinwheels

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Doesn't this look/sound delicious!! Just saw it this afternoon on Serious Eats. I think it would work with other cuts of meat too. Kenji uses a Weber (hot side/cool side of the grid), but I'm thinking sear/roast on the egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those look F-in delicious.  I see they're tied with butcher string....wonder why they still have toothpicks in them?
    Options
    Those look F-in delicious.  I see they're tied with butcher string....wonder why they still have toothpicks in them?
    Proabably left because it was easier to hold them together while stringing them up.

Also, the meat will shrink a little, so maybe extra insurance.

Those sure do look damn inviting though!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I expect to see these posted here within the next couple of days.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    OK, read the article and answered my own question.    They're skewers.

"Insert a skewer through each piece of twine. Without the skewer, the slices would buckle and collapse once they even start cooking. The skewer helps them keep their pretty shape until served, which means better presentation, more even cooking, and better filling-retention."
    Options
    This has meat glue written all over it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
      They're skewers.

"Insert a skewer through each piece of twine. Without the skewer, the slices would buckle and collapse once they even start cooking. The skewer helps them keep their pretty shape until served, which means better presentation, more even cooking, and better filling-retention."
    That's what I was going to suggest.
    I was late.... again.  :))
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    They look great and a definite must do. Any tips for a first timer?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    I will definitely be trying these at some point. Looks like a painstaking process but worth it!
  • 7smcb7
    7smcb7 Posts: 26
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Doesn't this look/sound delicious!! Just saw it this afternoon on Serious Eats. I think it would work with other cuts of meat too. Kenji uses a Weber (hot side/cool side of the grid), but I'm thinking sear/roast on the egg.

Anyone done these on an Egg? Sear/Roast or another method?

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @Carolina Q,  this recipe is yet another reason to have a jar of that Costco Muffaletta mix on hand. 

Alton Brown's favorite chicken recipe is another. 

• 7smcb7
    7smcb7 Posts: 26
    Options
    I seared and roasted on a raised grid. Raising was key, I think. Avoided flare ups from dripping oil, etc. 

They were pretty good. Toughest part (by far) was butterflying the flank steak. Very hard to keep from running it too thin on either side. But quite forgiving once you’ve tied and skewered them. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i know this is an old post but if you sear hard in a pan it sears the cheese in, then rest and roast with the trex method

100_1647jpg

100_1649jpg

100_1653jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I expect to see these posted here within the next couple of days.  :D
    I'm Finna try it.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg