Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gen Tso’s Ribs

kwdriver
kwdriver Posts: 39
Here’s a shameless plug for a video I did. Created some damn good ribs in the process. Hope you give it a try.

BBQ Hero Attempts to Make General Tso's Ribs on the Big Green Egg #fireandfroth
https://youtu.be/_gBBNgWtbhQ

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Ok those look great. I may try that with some spares next time.
  • kwdriver
    dstearn said:
    Ok those look great. I may try that with some spares next time.
    They really turned out good. I wish I had cooked up 2 racks because they were gone in no time. Let me know how they turn out.
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    Mixing parkay and store bought General Tso's sauce and microwaving it to make a mop sauce is not something I would have come up with on my own, so thank you for that.  
    California
  • kwdriver
    Tip2Tip said:
    Mixing parkay and store bought General Tso's sauce and microwaving it to make a mop sauce is not something I would have come up with on my own, so thank you for that.  
    I use to use the same ratio for my BBQ mop and it worked well. I found that when I used butter in the mop it caused the ribs to get pretty dark. You’re welcome!
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    👍 Great idea.  Nice touch adding the scallions and sesame seeds too—that amps up Tso-ness,  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Tip2Tip
    kwdriver said:
    Tip2Tip said:
    I use to use the same ratio for my BBQ mop and it worked well. I found that when I used butter in the mop it caused the ribs to get pretty dark. You’re welcome!
    Yeah dark ribs aren't any good.  Nobody eats those, except my friends when they're really baked and have the munchies.  
    California
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    eggscellant idea!  Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Awesomesauce.

Great production quality, you’re a natural!!!

You should do a whole series of store bought sauces and parkay.  That’s the kind of cooking people want!!!
  • kwdriver
    edited May 2021
    Awesomesauce.

Great production quality, you’re a natural!!!

You should do a whole series of store bought sauces and parkay.  That’s the kind of cooking people want!!!
    Pete you might be on to something! 

What kind of different sauces were you thinking of? Pad Thai ribs? Lots of potential. 
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Any of the chick FiL a sauces would be great!!!

Pad thai, raspberry chipotle, honey mustard, do a world tour!!!
  • kwdriver
    Well I think I’m going to do a test this weekend on some pad Thai and some honey sesame ribs. More to follow. 
  • kwdriver
    👍 Great idea.  Nice touch adding the scallions and sesame seeds too—that amps up Tso-ness,  
    Ha ha thanks. Yeah not much flavor out of the sesame seeds but they looked good. The green onions seemed a lot better than throwing a piece of sauced broccoli on top. 
  • Tip2Tip
    kwdriver said:
    Well I think I’m going to do a test this weekend on some pad Thai and some honey sesame ribs. More to follow. 
    Sounds like another opportunity for people to grow, learn, and live well.
    California
  • kwdriver
    Tip2Tip said:
    kwdriver said:
    Sounds like another opportunity for people to grow, learn, and live well.
    Always a good opportunity especially to live well!
  • kwdriver
    Cooking some Pad Thai ribs this weekend. Let you all know if it’s worth trying 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2021
    I bought this last September for $14.77.  It tasted like Chinese take out version, so was really happy with it. Now it's at $20. Only downside was it a big bottle, eating up fridge space. 

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2021
    Dupe, so may as well write something.

Their Orange sauce was good, but didn't care for the sweet and sour version.
  • kwdriver
    Ryan thanks for the find. I might have to swing by Costco and get some.