Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which way to get the most crispy skin on a chicken rotisserie or spatchcock?

Options

Comments

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I think it is more important to make sure the skin is dry before you put it on the grill.  I always air dry in the fridge for several hours (or overnight).  Cornstarch helps as well.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I find rotisserie gets better skin.  Direct at 375 is my preferred setup.. I am using an XL with a bank of coals to the back.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I don’t own a rotisserie but I’ve read the skin is a different texture than spatched but I have no realtime advice. Spatched birds are no problem to get crispy skin. I light the egg, get settled in around 400-475 raised about 4” above the gasket line. While the egg is warming up I will spatch the bird, wipe with paper towel and put a rub on. Nothing complicated at all.  Direct vs indirect for me depends on the size of the chicken. Lil 3-4lb will go direct and the bigger more plumped up birds go indirect.  

Several good suggestions for crispy skin here. As always there is always more than one way to achieve the same outcome 
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2590001#Comment_2590001

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    I get a nice crispy skin when I spatchcock a chicken...I cook high raised direct at fairly high temp (400-425).  Before I cook the chicken, I lightly oil the skin then add seasoning, my favorite being DP Tsunami Spin.  
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    I have done both ways many times,  I have settled on spatchcock as the easiest and best skin.  I doubt I will EVER rotisserie a chicken again.  Everything about rotisserie is more of a hassle.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Spatchcock produces crispier skin, but rotisserie produces more savory skin. Either way, after 10 minutes of resting steam is going to kill that crispy skin. I like both methods but think rotisserie produces the best tasting product. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Let the chicken air day for a couple days in the fridge uncovered, helps a ton. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I agree with others regarding crispy skin here. I would suggest salting the bird, then leaving open in the fridge overnight. A little aluminum free baking powder mixed in with your rub may help some as well. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Both techniques work well, but I've been happier with the rotisserie than I was with spatchcock.

For the crispiest skin, there are several things I need to do:

Cut some slits in the skin along the back and poke some holes over the breast. That lets the fat drain out.

Rub baking powder and salt into the skin, and let it air dry in the frig for at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

Use higher heat than usual, at least 400°F or more.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.