Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashburgers on the Grillgrates

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Pretty darn impressed with these thangs. First cook on em last night. Did smash burgers on the flat side. No real flare ups or grease infernos. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SmASHING BABY - Austin Powers  Meme Generator
    Options
    One thing I find kinda interesting about these is how much hotter than the dome temp they appear to run. Anybody else had some experience with that and how they work with the normal bars side up?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I did a thick (1.25") prime NY Strip last night on my grill grates with the bars up. 
    • Mini-Max Dome temp = 400°F.  
    • Steak sat out on the counter for about 40 minutes, so was near room temp.
    • Steak reached 130°F IT from room temp in less than 10 minutes! 
    • I set a timer for four minutes per side, plus walking time
    • I had hoped for two turns on each side to make cross-hatch, but only needed one!   
    • No way was that Grill Grate only 400°F.

I found the "onion trick" to be a very effective method for seasoning Grill Grates, btw.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Somebody let their fire get a little too hot. Don't be this guy...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I did a thick (1.25") prime NY Strip last night on my grill grates with the bars up. 
    • Mini-Max Dome temp = 400°F.  
    • Steak sat out on the counter for about 40 minutes, so was near room temp.
    • Steak reached 130°F IT from room temp in less than 10 minutes! 
    • I set a timer for four minutes per side, plus walking time
    • I had hoped for two turns on each side to make cross-hatch, but only needed one!   
    • No way was that Grill Grate only 400°F.

I found the "onion trick" to be a very effective method for seasoning Grill Grates, btw.

Unbelievable. I opened my egg up yesterday between 3-350 and the radiant heat that burped out off those grates felt like a knuckle burnin 600+°. Definitely going to get a laser packed Thermapen sometime for the surface temp.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Somebody let their fire get a little too hot. Don't be this guy...

WOW!  How hot was it? (in your best Johnny Carson voice)  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap