Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cracked base on Large

Options
I guess it's technically the second base I've had, as when it was first delivered I took one look at it and found a significant crack and so had the delivery folks take it right back. Never cooked on it, so doesn't really count.

As for this one, I had only used her a couple of times since the Minnesota winter thawed out, but last week I was doing a pepper stout beef variation and noticed dripping under the egg, and found the crack from the vent that gets much bigger underneath. Was unexpected as I hadn't run her above 325 all year, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't there when winter set in. Could have been insufficiently invisible then and since grown, I suppose.

Called the dealer and they will send pics to HQ to get things going -- they don't see many Egg warranties so I had to educate them a bit, but sounds like all will be good now. 

As for the old base, I've seen the flower pot recommendations. Any other recommendations, or do I need to figure out how to dispose of it if my wife doesn't appreciate the new addition to landscaping?
LG BGE
Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    craigslist for $20
    Options
    craigslist for $20
    Funny you should mention in - I was looking at craigslist a moment ago to see if there was any market for it. If my wife doesn't want it I would give it away for free to someone who wanted to haul it away!

While looking I saw someone not too far away selling a gently used 5-year old XL with "cover, CyberQ Cloud temp management system, plate setter, 2nd tier grill grate, cast iron grate, pizza stone, pizza peel, dough rolling mat, and Looftlighter" asking $1000. Pictures all look great, and I've been wishing I had an XL, but even with all the extras my recent crack makes me probably too skittish to pay that much with no warranty backup. Unfortunate. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If the ceramic is defective, it will fail pretty quickly.  Unless you physically break it you are mostly in the clear on a well used egg that's in good condition. That said, 1k is kind of steep, but maybe that's the market.
    Options
    The generally accepted guidance for buying a BGE w/o the warranty roughly tops at 50% of new retail price (BGE only).  Then you can address the accessories.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    make it a fire pit??
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap