Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven

2»

Comments

• Occasionally there have been eBay offers for Staub visual imperfections that are greater in number than their zwilling website offers.  Great prices. 

The coated enamel is attractive to me for the egg for top cook chili or anything with tomatoes but the regular old cast iron is the same for everything else.  Most of the greater utility for enameled cast iron is indoors. Especially for glass top stove.  You can cook anything in the enameled. 

Tempted but haven’t bought yet. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dutch ovens...when submarine races go completely wrong.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    +1 for Staub, I purchased mine from a local store at a ridiculously low price.  They frequently come on sale directly on the zwilling site.

Where?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    For whoever was looking -

Le Creuset is having a sale right now - still expensive, but better prices than usual.

NOLA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    For outdoor/grill use, Staub's rough textured matte black enamel (inside & out) is your best option and is the most durable. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    paqman said:
    +1 for Staub, I purchased mine from a local store at a ridiculously low price.  They frequently come on sale directly on the zwilling site.
    Where?
    @GrateEggspectations Got mine from Després Laporte in Laval a couple of years ago bundled with small ceramic cocottes.  I think that I paid 150$ no tax + shipped.  I have seen a few Staub items online on Costco.ca in the last few months.

I got a Lodge enameled Dutch oven yesterday and except for the bare cast iron at the mating rims of the lid and bowl, like it a lot. After reading about how these can rust, I'm  seasoning those areas. I brushed on some avocado oil, using a small brush, and the parts are in the oven now heating to 500 F. Seasoning bare cast iron prevents my pans from rusting so I'm hoping it works here, also.
    Worth noting is that I expect that with use, I'll have to re-season these. Seasoning is somewhat tough but does wear.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    Rusting around the edges has been my problem with Lodge's enameled line. Le Creuset and Staub don't have this problem because their edges are not left unfinished, but are coated in black enamel. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Staub 7qt black matte round for $180 at Zwilling. 66% off

https://www.zwilling.com/us/staub-cast-iron-7-qt-round-cocotte-black-matte---visual-imperfections-11092825/40500-281-5.html

If out of stock, sign up for “email me when available” — it worked for me

If there is a heinous imperfection or problem (crack, etc) I will report back to the thread but internet search says these visual imperfections are typically slight. 
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Corv said:
    I got a Lodge enameled Dutch oven yesterday and except for the bare cast iron at the mating rims of the lid and bowl, like it a lot. After reading about how these can rust, I'm  seasoning those areas. I brushed on some avocado oil, using a small brush, and the parts are in the oven now heating to 500 F. Seasoning bare cast iron prevents my pans from rusting so I'm hoping it works here, also.
    Worth noting is that I expect that with use, I'll have to re-season these. Seasoning is somewhat tough but does wear.
    Agree 100%.  I use cast iron exclusively for all my cooking except boiling eggs/pasta/corn, etc.  As long as you care for it and season it properly, it will not rust. The only pan I've ever had rust is one that my wife thought could use a "soak" before cleaning and she left it filled with water in the sink overnight.  But I rescued that one with some sand paper and a reseason.
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Corv said:

have the same lodge and mine has not rusted on the edge, i wouldnt worry about it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2021
    HeavyG said:
    I've always wondered why stainless dutch ovens don't get more love for use in a grill or smoker.
    Easier to clean, lighter weight, no worries about seasoning and acidic foods, no worries about rusting.

FWIW I started using my stainless steel stock pot on the egg. It has a thick bottom so I can still use it to brown meat and I usually leave the top off anyway. A Dutch oven really adds no advantage on an egg or in an oven, other than perhaps heat retention for searing (I think that is questionable though...I can get a great sear in my stainless pots). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.