Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New bands for mini BGE

Options
I purchased my mini in 2009 and it has a 12" OD.
Will the current new bands work on this older model?
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I want to say the outside diameter changed. At one point I looked into updating my band on my mini and it wouldn't work. I want to say a few people used a felt gasket between the egg and band to accommodate a new band.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I'm out working in the garage. I just took a tape measure between an older mini and newer mini. The new mini is 1/4" bigger in width.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2021
    Options
    1/4” in the manufacturing of ceramics made by the process called slip casting means ZIP. Or another way of explaining the one 1/4” smaller in diameter was probably taken out of the mold 5 minutes earlier than the other...OR having been cast down there in MEXICO the day the larger one was was removed it wasn’t as HOT that day!
    IOW 1/4” doesn’t mean much when it comes to the width of a BGE anyway!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2021
    Options
    RRP said:
    1/4” in the manufacturing of ceramics made by the process called slip casting means ZIP. Or another way of explaining the one 1/4” smaller in diameter was probably taken out of the mold 5 minutes earlier than the other...OR having been cast down there in MEXICO the day the larger one was was removed it wasn’t as HOT that day!
    The mini has grown over time. The new fire ring and fire bowl won't fit the older style mini. The outside diameter has grown. I'm only going on what my tape measure says and have learned on the forum over the years. 

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said:
    The mini has grown over time. The new fire ring and fire bowl won't fit the older style mini. The outside diameter has grown. I'm only going on what my tape measure says and have learned on the forum over the years. 
     Cooking grate is also larger in newer model. Agree with you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have fit new mini parts in my old mini, although my old mini is from about 2008 or so, cant remember exactly.  My old mini only has the dome and base as original, the remaining parts are all new.  Only photo I have of them together as the older one stays on my desk at work.  I do remember the bands cinched up more on the older mini when compared to the new one, but to answer your question, they worked.

I have two fire rings in my minis for a raised grid effect.  The older mini still has the smaller cooking grid, so its a balancing act on the fire ring.

I am pretty sure the larger cooking grid would fit in it.  I will double check the width of it again Monday at the office.

Of course, the mini is preaching that size isn't everything to a crowd of weber 26" kettles during one of our cooks.  They didn't listen, they never do.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I have fit new mini parts in my old mini, although my old mini is from about 2008 or so, cant remember exactly.  My old mini only has the dome and base as original, the remaining parts are all new.  Only photo I have of them together as the older one stays on my desk at work.  I do remember the bands cinched up more on the older mini when compared to the new one, but to answer your question, they worked.

I have two fire rings in my minis for a raised grid effect.  The older mini still has the smaller cooking grid, so its a balancing act on the fire ring.

I am pretty sure the larger cooking grid would fit in it.  I will double check the width of it again Monday at the office.

Of course, the mini is preaching that size isn't everything to a crowd of weber 26" kettles during one of our cooks.  They didn't listen, they never do.

Nice idea on the second fire ring.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thanks it’s not too expensive, I think I paid under $40. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    1st gen mini has a 9 1/2" cooking grid. (Same one fits the Chimina base!)
    2nd gen has a 10" cooking grid.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eoin
    Options
    I'm not sure the same trick will work on my MMX because of the dome taper.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Eoin said:
    It's possible it might.  One thing you cant really tell from my picture is that I have the fire ring upside down so that it tapers in.  Plus the fire ring on the MMX is much shorter in relation to the egg size compared to the mini.  Take your fire ring to a dealer and ask if you can put it in their floor model to verify before you buy one.  However, in the MMX, I just use the woo from ceramicgrillstore.com, it works really well here.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    It's possible it might.  One thing you cant really tell from my picture is that I have the fire ring upside down so that it tapers in.  Plus the fire ring on the MMX is much shorter in relation to the egg size compared to the mini.  Take your fire ring to a dealer and ask if you can put it in their floor model to verify before you buy one.  However, in the MMX, I just use the woo from ceramicgrillstore.com, it works really well here.
    The ring will fit, but the grid might be too big at that height. No local dealer. I'll mock it up and if it'll work then I'll order another ring. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    My new local dealer is Westlake Ace Hardware in Leavenworth,KS.  I emailed them Monday about getting the BGE mini band set, but have not heard back from them.  CGS is also looking for me, thanks Tom!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Update:  Ace Hardware Leavenworth, KS has ordered me a new band set for a mini, due in next week.  Will advise
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman: