Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another Brisket attempt . .

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited April 2021 in Beef
First, thanks to @lousubcap for sending me a DM a few yrs ago with tips for brikset cook.  I reference it every cook, but never really said thanks . . I am still such a rookie when it comes to brisket, but getting better every cook !!

prime packer from costco, trimmed up (took off 3+ lbs easy), BGE started by placed 5 chunks of post oak with some lump at bottom of firebox, then dropped full raging hot coal chimneys on rockwood lump on top (thought is this creates "cleaner smoke" as oak smoke has to pass through super hot coal before reaching food).  Kept brisket cold this time, season with S&P and little cow lick, on the fat cap down with point in back.  Used thermoworks smoke to monitor, kept around 275F and started to spritz (1/4 ac vinegar, 3/4 h20) after flat started to get a little crispy (then wrapped that part in a little foil to protect even more but as you see from picture below, it was a little dry near eds). 

Not sure how long total cook was, but waited until flat probed "like butter" which was it of 200+ . . bummer was the cook lasted longer than I thought an had family over to eat . . so no FTC, just a 20 min rest in butcher paper . . sorry for long ramble post but it was really good and I always like to document brisket trials here . . thanks again @lousubcap for the tips and please let me know if you see/hear any 'red flags" or have ideas so I can improve next time.  Thanks!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    That looks delicious!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    That looks amazing! Well done (as in excellent job, not the temperature of the cook, lol).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Hard to find any fault in this. Looks great!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Juicy!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    I would take that every time.  Appreciate the acknowledgment but you did the heavy lifting.  As you well know, every cook is different and presents its own audibles.  Great adaptation along the way.  Congrats.  Nailed the cook.  I am sure all enjoyed!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    congrats on a great looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dsmc
    dsmc Posts: 11
    FYI, Kroger has their Briskets for $1.99 this week in their new ad out this morning....I'll be picking up 3 or 4 for the freezer.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    bubbajack said:
    Juicy!
    Yes in some parts, lol 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Great looking cook man. Making me hungry over here lol. My flats always get a little dry down near the ends as well. Not sure if it’s me leaving them to thin at the end or not enough fat cap or what. I’ve never injected one before but I’m gonna try on the next go around to see if that helps at all.