Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

First time making smash burgers

marcdcmarcdc Posts: 114
I couldn't believe how juicy these patties were, which is so counterintuitive given they're only 2oz patties and you smash the heck out of them. Pretty much used the serious eats recipe for them.

2oz balls, weighed out (80/20)
1 slice of American cheese for two patties
salt and pepper
potato buns (got a Whole Foods delivery, and unfortunately they don't carry Martin's buns so had to settle for the Vermont ones)
sauteed onions
pickles
choice of mayo, ketchup, mustard










Looking forward to making these again!

Comments

  • 1voyager1voyager Posts: 1,042
    Incredible.

    What was the dome temperature?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser and way too much Griswold cast iron cookware.

    Somewhere in Colorado.
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 3,039
    edited April 20
    Pro tip I picked up from one of Kenji's recent vids, if you have issues with the spatula sticking, these little squares of patty paper are a huge life saver. You just throw it on top, smash, peel the paper off and lay it on top of another, smash, repeat. 


    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 24,209
    SonVolt said:
    Pro tip I picked up from one of Kenji's recent vids, if you have issues with the spatula sticking, these little squares of patty paper are a huge life saver. You just throw it on top, smash, peel the paper off and lay it on top of another, smash, repeat. 


    Interesting - so where do you buy them - or they just squares of parchment paper?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 3,039
    edited April 20
    I get them at a local restaurant supply. They're cheap - like $5.99 for 1000 sheets. I've had them close to a decade. I'm not positive if it's waxed or parchment, but I didn't have any issues on the griddle. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • marcdcmarcdc Posts: 114
    1voyager said:
    Incredible.

    What was the dome temperature?
    so I preheated the griddle (from lodge) at about 500, and then while I was cooking I cooked the whole time with the dome open so im sure it got a lot higher than 500
  • marcdcmarcdc Posts: 114
    SonVolt said:
    Pro tip I picked up from one of Kenji's recent vids, if you have issues with the spatula sticking, these little squares of patty paper are a huge life saver. You just throw it on top, smash, peel the paper off and lay it on top of another, smash, repeat. 


    great tip, fortunately I didn't have an issue with the patties sticking. I wrapped my griddle press in heavy duty aluminum foil and I think once the griddle is preheated well you won't have an problem with it sticking. just a small twist of the griddle press was all that was needed to dislodge the meat from it after smashing
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,732


    ____________________
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. •Niccolo Machiavelli
  • StillH2OEggerStillH2OEgger Posts: 3,359
    That is my kind of burger! Looks great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dmouratidmourati Posts: 1,096
    Amazing. Love a good smashburger. I went gluten free late last year and haven't been eating as many burgers as a result. May need to get on that again.

    For some next level sh*t try these buns:


    Mountain View, CA
  • marcdcmarcdc Posts: 114
    dmourati said:
    Amazing. Love a good smashburger. I went gluten free late last year and haven't been eating as many burgers as a result. May need to get on that again.

    For some next level sh*t try these buns:

    as someone that doesn't bake... ever... that seems like so much work, but I bet they're amazing lol
  • CorvCorv Posts: 109
    If you butter the bottom of your spatula, it won't stick.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,230
    Excellent...
    The edge bits add so much flavor. Nicely done!

    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • marcdcmarcdc Posts: 114
    @Photo Egg yes they do! I know it doesn't look like the cheese is melted in that picture, but took the picture immediately after placing the cheese on the lower patty, topping it with the other patty, and put it right on the bun. Probably 1min after this picture was taken the cheese was all melty and gooey haha
  • CPFC1905CPFC1905 Posts: 1,253
    Planning this to be me soon, too.
    So, help me out with the beef situation. What am I looking for with;
    1) Fat content
    2) Cut / type of beef

    I wont be grinding it myself.  Potential grinder purchase depends upon how this goes.

    Also - any, top tips for bonus ingredients?  
    Thank you. 

    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 8,143
    Those look amazing. Good job.

    Rowlett, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 3,039
    CPFC1905 said:
    Planning this to be me soon, too.
    So, help me out with the beef situation. What am I looking for with;
    1) Fat content
    2) Cut / type of beef

    I wont be grinding it myself.  Potential grinder purchase depends upon how this goes.

    Also - any, top tips for bonus ingredients?  
    Thank you. 


    Supermarket ground chuck is perfectly fine. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 5,041
    nice char on the burgers!
    aka marysvilleksegghead, moved to Basehor,KS 2/26/2021
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 5,041
    @CPFCC1905
    "Also - any, top tips for bonus ingredients?"  
    might think about mushroom/swiss burgers
    grill baby portbellas with hickory chunks and baste with melted butter & Lowrys seasoned salt . . . made a convert of wifie that hated mushrooms
    HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead, moved to Basehor,KS 2/26/2021
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8rstv8r Posts: 968
    Wow you nailed it!  The crusty edges are the best!  More layers = more cheese and I love cheese!  Nice cook
  • PowakPowak Posts: 1,234
    marcdc said:
    I couldn't believe how juicy these patties were, which is so counterintuitive given they're only 2oz patties and you smash the heck out of them. Pretty much used the serious eats recipe for them.

    2oz balls, weighed out (80/20)
    1 slice of American cheese for two patties
    salt and pepper
    potato buns (got a Whole Foods delivery, and unfortunately they don't carry Martin's buns so had to settle for the Vermont ones)
    sauteed onions
    pickles
    choice of mayo, ketchup, mustard










    Looking forward to making these again!
    Gotdamn! Those looks delicious. What size egg do you have and what griddle is that?
  • NDGNDG Posts: 2,172
    Just Perfect.  I am now starving.   
    Columbus, Ohio
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.