Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-purposing cracked Eggs...

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
Morning All:

Finally got around to re-purposing a couple of Large Egg bases that I had replaced & were just sitting around...our neighbor had some Star Jasmine plants from his worksite that he gave us & Kathy wanted to put them "someplace"...we'll see how it does over the next few weeks.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I have 1 lrg base at my daughters place and was wondering what plant(s) would be a good fit.  Pretty sure she won't want the vines growing up the side of her house.
    What's your plan Jay?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning @loco_engr 

"I" don't have a plan as this was the much better half's idea (I don't do plants)...however I think her plan is to put a slightly larger "trellis" in the Egg for it to grow on & just keep it trimmed (but first I have to create that "trellis")...we'll see how things go & if they will even grow...the back of the Eggs are about 14" off the house, thus the plants almost two feet from the house.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited April 2021
    Options
    SSN686 said:
    Morning @loco_engr 

"I" don't have a plan as this was the much better half's idea (I don't do plants)...however I think her plan is to put a slightly larger "trellis" in the Egg for it to grow on & just keep it trimmed (but first I have to create that "trellis")...we'll see how things go & if they will even grow...the back of the Eggs are about 14" off the house, thus the plants almost two feet from the house.
    Jay, while it might not look good at first a very simple but easy and cheap trellis which will withstand your bugs and climate in FL would be a sturdy welded steel tomato cage (not a cheap wire one)*. It will be easy to insert now and last a long time especially since you say Kathy plans to keep that plant trimmed. As it grows and entwines the cage that will be one strong plant.

* I used to go thru those cheap cages from Wally World or such nearly every year and finally just bought 4 heavy duty ones from a reputable plant nursery and those are nearly 20 years old now and show only a tiny amount of surface rust. And guess what? They really were only about 4 times the price of those crappy cheapies!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    RRP said:
    SSN686 said:
    Morning @loco_engr 

Jay, while it might not look good at first a very simple but easy and cheap trellis which will withstand your bugs and climate in FL would be a sturdy welded steel tomato cage (not a cheap wire one)*. It will be easy to insert now and last a long time especially since you say Kathy plans to keep that plant trimmed. As it grows and entwines the cage that will be one strong plant.

* I used to go thru those cheap cages from Wally World or such nearly every year and finally just bought 4 heavy duty ones from a reputable plant nursery and those are nearly 20 years old now and show only a tiny amount of surface rust. And guess what? They really were only about 4 times the price of those crappy cheapies!

Ron

these are free =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    always the over achiever @fishlessman
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• loco_engr
    Options
    RRP said:
    SSN686 said:
    Morning @loco_engr 

Ron

these are free =)

=)  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    Options

Ron

these are free =)

At first I thought you were actually sharing your secret way of growing those famed @fishlessman natural, unbreakable fly rods! Then I saw that screened gazebo in the background and knew you would never succumb to sitting outside in a screened area!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

Ron

these are free =)

At first I thought you were actually sharing your secret way of growing those famed @fishlessman natural, unbreakable fly rods! Then I saw that screened gazebo in the background and knew you would never succumb to sitting outside in a screened area!

thats the camp in maine. you are correct, the only time theres been a roof on the gazebo was 14 years ago when i bought the place. it was covered with cucumbers later on.
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    Cool looking "camp" IMHO! For all these years I had envisioned your camp as a rustic "shack" deep in the wilderness of Maine! Yes, I'm JEALOUS!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Cool looking "camp" IMHO! For all these years I had envisioned your camp as a rustic "shack" deep in the wilderness of Maine! Yes, I'm JEALOUS!

my camp is alot nicer and bigger than my house although the 70's shag rugs take it down a level. the rugs kinda match the gazebo though ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I have my garden hose coiled up inside my cracked large base.  Fits well between two bushes and the hose fits through the bottom air intake to connect to the spigot. 
  • loco_engr
    Options
    not sure what my daughter wants to plant in my Lrg base but I'm curious as what material to fill it up with.  I'm thinking some mulch and then some peat moss and the then top soil, but not sure how deep the top soil should be.  Help!  :ohstop:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    not sure what my daughter wants to plant in my Lrg base but I'm curious as what material to fill it up with.  I'm thinking some mulch and then some peat moss and the then top soil, but not sure how deep the top soil should be.  Help!  :ohstop:

stones about 1o inches, then mix the top soil, mulch, moss and some sand. the sand and bottom stones are for drainage
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    loco_engr said:

stones about 1o inches, then mix the top soil, mulch, moss and some sand. the sand and bottom stones are for drainage
    Agree and if the sliding bottom vent cover and it’s screen have now been removed it wouldn’t hurt to cover the opening from the inside FIRST with a piece of nylon “screen wire” or some small (1/4” or 1/2”) hardware cloth...(chicken wire would be too big). Otherwise even with the stone base layer then in time all the soil and sand will find its way out that bottom vent.