Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellet Joe PSA & Review in One Thread

Options
BSR
BSR Posts: 165
edited April 2021 in EggHead Forum
I'll post a more detailed review, but first a warning. If you turn this thing on full tilt it will most likely burn up the entire pellet hopper, maybe burn your house down... I didn't wait to see where mine stopped but it was over 800 and flames coming out the dome. Turning it down did not seem to stop it, I had to shut the top vent.

That said build quality is excellent, app works good and the biggest flaw I thought it would have (not being able to sear) is clearly a non issue.

Not sure why the one pic turned sideways... I'll post some better pics and more details but I got the assembly done late and wanted to cook something.

Comments

• BSR
    Options
    Just noticed it melted the powder coat right off the top vent where I grabbed it to quickly shut it off when I realize it wasn't right... They might want to use something higher temp up there.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Wow.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BSR
    Options
    Round two tonight. Leg of lamb. Never done one, any suggestions? 
  • BSR
    edited April 2021
    Options
    These need an adjustable dome vent, a ceramic insulator, and a raised/two tier option. Other than that it's better than expected.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Why an adjustable dome vent?  I would think you control heat via fuel, not air, the opposite of a charcoal burner.  Wouldn't pellets pile up?
    Options
    Why an adjustable dome vent?  I would think you control heat via fuel, not air, the opposite of a charcoal burner.  Wouldn't pellets pile up?
    I have it where it can be very windy. Works perfect until it's blowing 15+ then it desperately needs some restriction. The goal would be more to keep the airflow consistent not alter it.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    BSR said:
    These need an adjustable dome vent, a ceramic insulator, and a raised/two tier option. Other than that it's better than expected.
    I thought you were being sarcastic and describing an egg

• BSR
    Options
    poster said:
    BSR said:
    I thought you were being sarcastic and describing an egg

At least we get an adjustable top vent lol. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    BSR said:
    I just saw the price. For that much, it better come with at least an adjustable top vent.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    BSR said:
    I just saw the price. For that much, it better come with at least an adjustable top vent.
    It’s a pid controlled pellet grill so not sure why you’d want an adjustable vent. I prefer doing it myself but this is set it and forget. Vent has two positions, closed for off and open