Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Malcolm Reed's Bonfide White Chicken Chili

Options
Anybody tried this?  Thinking about making this weekend. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No, the wife-unit has a recipe she uses all the time.  Looks good tho

Options
    Never have made that but every one of his recipes that I have tried have turned out great.  
    Let us know how it works out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I used to have an annual chilli cook off and I would always get one white chicken chili. I allow it, but it couldn't be entered in people's choice category because it's not chilli, but a really tasty soup.
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    I used to have an annual chilli cook off and I would always get one white chicken chili. I allow it, but it couldn't be entered in people's choice category because it's not chilli, but a really tasty soup.
    How do you define what makes something “chili?” Like why is beef chili considered chili but white chicken chili is really just a soup? I’ve never really thought about this before. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited April 2021
    Options
    DainW said:
    RyanStl said:
    How do you define what makes something “chili?” Like why is beef chili considered chili but white chicken chili is really just a soup? I’ve never really thought about this before. 
    Another one of those (somewhat) silly regional arguments that elicit deep passions to the point of fistfights, gunfire and arson.   =)  
    Per the fine folks of Texas, chili is beef, grease, and ground chili peppers, nothing else (some even decry onion and even salt).  
    Beans are a no-no in "texas" chili, but I grew up with it that way. But I (personally) draw the line at "chicken chili", or even pork chili.  
    The greeks in southern Ohio add things like cinnamon, chocolate, and allspice and serve it on spaghetti.  I don't really call that chili, but I love it.
    And having lived in New Mexico for five years, I love both red and green chile (spelled with an "e') which is a sauce based on the chile peppers (either green or ripe/dried).  There, Texas chili is considered "tex-mex".  
    Its been fun to actually live in a few different areas in the US where the locals' opinions on what chili is, are so strong.  And I've loved just about all of the local definitions.
    And I'd love to eat anyone's white chicken stew, and I will probably like it.

Just don't call it chili.  :tongue:    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Botch said:
    DainW said:
    RyanStl said:
    Another one of those (somewhat) silly regional arguments that elicit deep passions to the point of fistfights, gunfire and arson.   =)  
    Per the fine folks of Texas, chili is beef, grease, and ground chili peppers, nothing else (some even decry onion and even salt).  
    Beans are a no-no in "texas" chili, but I grew up with it that way. But I (personally) draw the line at "chicken chili", or even pork chili.  
    The greeks in southern Ohio add things like cinnamon, chocolate, and allspice and serve it on spaghetti.  I don't really call that chili, but I love it.
    And having lived in New Mexico for five years, I love both red and green chile (spelled with an "e') which is a sauce based on the chile peppers (either green or ripe/dried).  There, Texas chili is considered "tex-mex".  
    Its been fun to actually live in a few different areas in the US where the locals' opinions on what chili is, are so strong.  And I've loved just about all of the local definitions.

Thanks for the response. I’m somewhat aware of the regional differences in what people call “chili.” For example, I’m familiar with Texans not putting beans in their chili. But why is it universally accepted the white chicken chili isn’t chili? Is it the type of meat used? The spices? Other ingredients? I make both white and traditional chili fairly often in the winter and it’s a pretty similar cooking process for both save for a few different ingredients. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    but a really tasty soup.

Just what I thought when I read the reciped and watched the video- didnt look like "Chili"

I live in TX and I dont care if Chili has beans, if its pork or brisket chunks. Im not that much of a purist.  MIght just whip up some Chili tonight.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If white chili didn't have chilies in it, it wouldn't be white chili.
    Options
    chicken and sweet potato chili

google images isnt showing my other white meat chili....lobster
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    theres the lobster chili with creme fraiche.  pbucket must be hiding pics with google now

DSC_0288jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Botch said:

You are 45 minutes from the legendary Deer Valley turkey chili and have two days to get it before they close for the season. It is legendary for a reason.

For true decadence Empire Lodge will smother fries in it.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    ...and if white chili did have chilies in it, it wouldn't be white.  

Case closed.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:
    ...and if white chili did have chilies in it, it wouldn't be white.  

Case closed.  
    it does have green chilies, and why isn't regular chili called "red chili"...huh? Huh?   Mr smarty pants.

edited April 2021
    Options
    This came from some on-line site several years ago. I replaced the beans with potatoes 'cause I like them better. This does not use canned chiles.
    This white chicken chili recipe serves four people and, as a rough approximation, each of those servings has 472 calories, 25.3 grams of carbohydrates, 31.5 grams of protein, 29 grams of fat, 1,052 milligrams of sodium, 6 gram of fiber, and 5.7 grams of sugar.
    Can be made in a crock pot but as-is, it's a stove-top recipe.
    Get 2 bowls.
    Bowl 1
        1 fresh Poblano chili pepper
        1 fresh Anaheim chili pepper
        3 fresh Jalapeño chili peppers
        1 fresh Serrano chili pepper
        14.5 ounces of low-sodium chicken broth
        1 teaspoon salt
        1 teaspoon ground cumin
        1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
        1 teaspoon dried oregano
        1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
        1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
        1 tbsp whole peppercorns
        1 cup chopped celery
    Clean and remove the seeds and webs from the chilis and chop them. Add all the ingredients to the first bowl.
    Large pot
        1 1/2 pound fresh skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
         4-5 cloves of chopped garlic
        1 large yellow onion
       1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    Chop the onion and garlic. Heat the oil in a pot. Add the onions, chicken and garlic. Stiff occasionally for uniform cooking. Cook until the chicken has no more pink.
    Bowl 3
        2 lbs medium Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
           (was: 31 ounces of Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans))
    Add to the last bowl.
        1 cup sour cream
        1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat. Once the olive oil is heated, add the onion, garlic, and chicken bowl first.  You’re going to cook it until the chicken no longer has any pink in it, which will take 10-15 minutes depending on your setup, chicken thickness, and pot selection. The smell at this point is very French as the onion and garlic begins roasting and the chicken simmers in the juices.
    After that part is done, and your chicken no longer has any visible pink in it, you are going to add bowl #1 – the one with the peppers, spices, and beans. Dump it on top and mix it into the pot, integrating everything together. Turn up the heat and bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat so that it is simmering. Cook on a simmer for 15 minutes or more, allowing the dish to break down the ingredients and combine all of the flavors together.
    Towards the end of the 15 minutes of simmering, you’ll see that everything is softening and melding into what you expect a good chili to look like.
    Add the potatoes, cover and simmer another 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are about potato salad soft.
    Turn off the stove, remove the chili pot from the heat, and add the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. This is going to help cut the spiciness of the peppers and make the final white chicken chili smooth.
    Serve.
    You can top the finished chili however you like. Saltines are a classic go-to, but if you want something with a more Latin flavor, anything with a bit of lime is a wonderful counterbalance (e.g., lime salted tortilla chips). You can also opt for shavings of a complimentary cheese if that’s your thing.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Malcom Reed is a national treasure.