Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter

Options
Ceramic or cast iron?

Comments

• chappy319
    chappy319 Posts: 50
    Options
    How's that work for pizza? I'm intrigued. Been doing this for 10 years and just now finding this. Guess I'm slow. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    chappy319 said:
    How's that work for pizza? I'm intrigued. Been doing this for 10 years and just now finding this. Guess I'm slow. 
    It’s great for pizza. Very easy to get your pie high in the dome (with the extender). You will need a deflector and a pizza stone (or steel)
    NOLA
  • chappy319
    Options
    So I need a plate setter anyway.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    chappy319 said:
    Many ways to get there and honestly,what works best IMO is what YOU like. 

For me a plate sitter legs UP, then a grate resting on the 3 legs and then either a BGE pizza stone on the grate..,OR a pizza steel.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I haven't used a plate setter in years. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I ise the plate setter to hold drip pans when doing brisket and or ribs, elevation for pizza.  Never had the cast iron.  Not sure id want to clean it with direct on the plate cooking 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    chappy319 said:
    It helps to know what size Egg you have. 
    But assuming it’s the Large. Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig is awesome. A pizza stone or heavy duty round pan as indirect and another pizza stone on top rack to cook on. Gives better airflow and much easier to store flat pizza stones compared to the somewhat delicate plate setter. When a leg on my second plate setter broke I gave up on them and cut off the other 2 and still use it as a flat, Tri shaped pizza stone. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chappy319
    Options
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I had ceramic platesetter then got cast iron when that cracked. It was very heavy but had ok features. Then I got a CGS woo with 2 half stones and lower grid as a gift and never looked back. The control and ease of use is unmatched with the woo. For pizza as well as proteins. Highly recommended.