Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Fish inside ABT's?

I've done ABT's dozens of times, and added all variations of meats:  chorizo, pulled pork, brisket, beef short rib, smoked sausage, etc.   

I know it's sacrilege, but I added a RecTec pellet smoker to my grill arsenal a few weeks ago and that thing can hold temps at 180º with no problem.  I've smoked some of the best trout and salmon I've ever had, and always tried to achieve on my Egg, but couldn't.  For Easter, with family coming into town, I'm working out some appetizers, and I thought of doing some smoked fish and adding trout or salmon to the ABT's, mixed in with the cream cheese.  Anyone ever tried this?  Do the flavors play well together?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    smoked fish in cream cheese is always good.  it's the foundation for many seafood dips/spreads
    sounds good to me, maybe add some chives
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    edited April 2021
    I thought about adding some chopped shallots, chives and capers in the mix
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Also, I did some smoked salmon deviled eggs this past week.  No pics, but we did 8 to test them.  Ate them all and then did another full dozen.  Doing those again this weekend.  
    Athens, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    As has been said, you are golden.  I don't believe that you can hose up an ABT but I have been wrong more than twice.  Enjoy.
    About the Rec-Tec - whatever rig works for you to get the outcome you want is all that matters in the grand scheme.  Good for you.
    My son has a Rec-Tec and cranks out great cooks.  He really takes advantage of the wireless connectivity during protracted cooks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    I was opposed to getting a pellet grill, but I swear the combination of a large egg and this RecTec is the perfect combination for me.  Some nights, with small kids, it's just great to be able to preheat the grill when I leave the grocery store and have time to cook before we head to a baseball game or gymnastics practice.  Or, even heat it up on the way home for after.  That, coupled with the ability to smoke at 180º for fish has me sold on it.  I'll never be without an Egg.  I've had one for 10 years or so, and I love it.  But, having both is a great addition for me.  
    Athens, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nothin wrong with that.  Many peeps here have them.
    I've done shrimp and chives in an ABT so same general plan. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • whuma
    whuma Posts: 7
    Fantastic idea for a different way to the make the ABT. 

@Mayberry the smoked salmon deviled egg sounds amazing. I’m going to have to try that. 
  • Mayberry
    Ater a few tries, I've found this recipe as a base renders the best results.  The only variations I make are I generally add nearly double the salmon, chopped fine in a food processor, I triple the cornichons and double the cornichon juice.  I also add whatever pearl onions are in the jar and chop them fine, also.  They are delicious.  If they make it that far, they are even better the following day after sitting in the fridge overnight.  

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoked-salmon-deviled-eggs
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    So, mixed up the smoked trout with some cream cheese, fresh chopped chives, fresh dill, garlic powder, smoked paprika and a little cayenne and black pepper to make a nice stuffing, and put it in the cored jalepenos.  Wrapped in thin sliced bacon and sprinkled with Meat Church The Gospel.  Instead of direct grilling, I smoked them at 225 for a few hours and they turned out ridiculously good.  Great variation of the standard ABT.  I'll be doing these again.  

Athens, GA