Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ham

Options
I ordered a pre-cooked ham shank from my local butcher for Easter dinner.  When I brought it home I realized they gave me a 7LB boneless ham. I don't know how if possible to prep and cook it for easter Sunday. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? should I try and find a different ham? even if spiraled? 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Same as if it had a bone in it. Being devoid of bone makes it easier to cut if it's not pre-cut.

Basically you just warm up those hams....to maybe 140F internal.  Typically people will add smoke and some sugary coating, possibly with the addition of scoring or otherwise mutilating the outside to create more surface area. 

Anything goes.  As to the question if it is possible, the answer is yes.  It is possible these can be prepped and cooked for Easter.
    Smoke it for a couple of hours at 275 with some applewood to 140 like Nola said,  Really, you’re just warming it through and adding some smoke.

For a fantastic recipe with a Honey Baked ham style try this one from Malcolm Reed,  I’ve done it several times and it is fantastic!

https://howtobbqright.com/2013/11/17/how-to-smoke-a-honeybaked-ham/ 

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I'd put it in a disposable aluminum pan, covered in foil, and heat it up on the egg indirect at about 300°F.  I'd put a little water in the pan.  

Then, when you pull it from the egg, everyone will be amazed that you "grilled" the Easter ham.  Only you will know that you really just heated up a pre-cooked piece of meat in your egg.

Happy Easter.  I have done it several times and each year people are amazed that I "grilled" the ham.  Best ham they ever tasted...
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokinBob629
    Options
    I should have specified the ham has never been cooked. Its just a raw, boneless piece of pork
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Cook to 165F.
    Options
    I should have specified the ham has never been cooked. Its just a raw, boneless piece of pork
    Yes you can. I have done so many times.  I usually brine it myself but you most likely don't have time for that.  It may be brined already.
  • SmokinBob629
    Options
    Yes you can. I have done so many times.  I usually brine it myself but you most likely don't have time for that.  It may be brined already.
    How do I brine it?

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Arrggh. Peanut gallery creating confusion again.

You never *need* to brine anything.  It's optional.  Just smoke it to 165F.  If it's "raw", meaning not cured, it will taste like a pork roast, which is perfectly delicious.  Brining it won't make it taste any different.