Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis BBQ?

Options
Heading to Memphis in a couple of weeks. Will be looking for good BBQ. Suggestions?
New Orleans LA

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    I second Cozy Corner. 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • REB17
    Options
    Central BBQ also a good option 

Midlothian, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Been there a couple of times, but it's been too long and I don't remember where I ate. All the places I tried were good, I just don't remember what I tried.

Except for one. Stay away from Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous. Cool place downtown (once you get there through the back alley and past the dumpsters), but the ribs were seriously dried out. Not good at all. Looks like only take out and delivery now anyway so there goes the ambiance part. They may all be that way these days!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mustache_Vol
    Mustache_Vol Posts: 23
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Germantown Commissary (https://www.commissarybbq.com/). So good yull slap yo mama
  • MrAnd5bge
    Options
    Can’t go wrong with Central BBQ
    https://eatcbq.com/

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Germantown commissary. BBQ nachos. Now your making me hungry. 
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Also if you want a super good burger place. The original Hueys off Madison and main. Get the cheese fries with ranch and the Smokey melt burger. Thank me later 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited March 2021
    Options
    No particular order with the best dish:
    Cozy Corner (Cornish hen)
    Germantown Commissary (pulled pork, potato salad, banana pudding)
    Rendevous (sausage plate and ribs)
    Leonard’s (ribs)
    The Bar-B-Shop (BBQ spaghetti)
    Payne’s (bologna sandwich)
    Corky’s (dry ribs)
    Central BBQ (BBQ nachos with chicken)

Keep in mind several of these places also serve delta tamales, which are not to be missed.  Germantown Commissary’s loaded tamales are particularly good.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Goto Central BBQ and get their nachos and buy some of their Shake rub. Goto Rendevous for the atmosphere and get a cheese and sausage plater. Then goto Interstate BBQ and get the beef ribs and bbq spaghetti. If you like Oysters goto Pearl’s Oyster house and get the chargrilled ones. For breakfast goto the Arcade. If you need some late night food goto Earnestine & Hazel’s for a burger. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• REB17
    Options
    Don't forget Gus's Fried Chicken

Midlothian, VA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited March 2021
    Options
    The prior posts have covered it well.  I’ll just add a few things:

1. If you go to Central BBQ, go to the original on Central Ave in midtown.  Their wings are ding dong delicious.  (The only thing I don’t like at Central are the homemade potato chips - I find them dry and tasteless) 

2. A new place opens tomorrow.  Bains BBQ is Texas style BBQ served out of a truck at the corner of Central and Cooper in midtown.  Obviously, I have not been there, but will try it and post back when I have a chance. 

3.  Earnestine and Hazel’s burgers are way better late night after/while drinking.  Kinda like Krystals or White Castle or those hot dog vendors in New Orleans if you know what I mean.

4.  The coolest Memphis secret attraction - The Metal Museum https://www.metalmuseum.org/
    In addition to the museum, they have metal working classes.  We took a class a few years ago and made grilling skewers. 

5. If you go to BBQ Shop, try pulled pork sandwich on Texas toast.  Their ribs are hit and miss IMO. Central BBQ is way more consistent. 

I’ll post more if anything comes to mind.  If you tell me what part of town you are staying, I can probably get a bit more specific.  

Edit - just to add another thing.  BBQ pizza supposedly was invented in Memphis at a place called Coletta’s back in the 50’s. It was one of Elvis’s favorites.  Coletta’s is still in business on South Parkway, but that is not the best part of town.  If you want to try BBQ pizza, go to Aldo’s.  They use Central BBQ on their pies.  For the record, I am not a huge fan of BBQ pizza.  I love BBQ and I love Pizza, but I don’t like them together.  But obviously, a lot of folks do like the combo. 

Elwood’s shack also has highly praised BBQ pizza.  Elwood’s has not been mentioned, but it is a dive almost in a Lowe’s parking lot.  It is packed with contractors and construction workers at lunch.  Really good!!  They have BBQ plus other stuff - http://www.elwoodsshack.com/menu.  The steelhead trout taco is a winner. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Thanks all for your recommendations!
    New Orleans LA
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    edited March 2021
    Options
    What's the name of the place on Beale Street (I think) that the BBQ place is at the same grade as the road?  If I remember correctly slopes front to back.  It's been awhile since we have been there.  It had awesome ribs, I remember that!!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    What's the name of the place on Beale Street (I think) that the BBQ place is at the same grade as the road?  If I remember correctly slopes front to back.  It's been awhile since we have been there.  It had awesome ribs, I remember that!!!!
    You may be thinking of Blues City Cafe.  I haven’t been there in many years - I tend to avoid Beale Street.  A lot of folks love it. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet