Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven

I am buying my grandson a Dutch Oven - 
Do you have suggestions - Thanks
Mr Toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rodney,
    good to see you posting! 

I’m assuming you mean a DO to use on your BGE...but I really want to ask more questions. For BGE use I prefer Lodge brand, but style is another matter. The traditional DO has a flat bottom and can also be used inside in an oven. OTOH a “camp style DO” has 3 legs while resting on an inverted plate setter and is great for egging chili, other soups and even cakes as the bottom of the DO doesn’t burn.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2021
    Lodge Cast Iron Enamel.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Photo Egg said:
    Lodge Cast Iron Enamel.
    Yes this is what I have works perfect. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited March 2021
    Might be helpful to know more about it’s intended use. If for use on an Egg, you’ll want to choose the DO size carefully. Go with the biggest size that will fit the Egg.

I have both enamelled and uncoated cast iron. For use on the Egg, I prefer non-coated. Soot tends to cling to the enamel, so I prefer the ease of the bare iron for use on the Egg. 

If I was buying all over again, I’d buy one of the Lodge models for which the lid doubles as a cooking pan. https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/double-dutch-oven?sku=L8DD3

Also, make sure to give your grandson a good lesson on care and maintenance. Keep the pan seasoned and dry it thoroughly after each washing. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've always wondered why stainless dutch ovens don't get more love for use in a grill or smoker.
    Easier to clean, lighter weight, no worries about seasoning and acidic foods, no worries about rusting.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• You might find this website helpful. It discuss the merits and drawbacks of different materials and also presents size considerations. 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I have several.  I love my Lodge enameled 7 quart round.  It fits my LBGE fine and is big enough for anything I have wanted to do in it.  Plus, it is safe to use on my glass cooktop inside.

But, a good old fashioned uncoated DO is nice to have in the arsenal.  It works in Campfires, on gas or coil burners on a stove, and in the egg.  They require a little more care and love.

Again, depends on what the intended use is.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2021
    I've always wondered why stainless dutch ovens don't get more love for use in a grill or smoker.
    Easier to clean, lighter weight, no worries about seasoning and acidic foods, no worries about rusting.

I 100% agree.  I've literally had the rims of my Lodge Enameled dutch oven rust during the cook. 

These day I reach for cheap tri-ply cookware for almost all outdoor cooking. Calphalon, Tramontina - whatever I find cheap at TJ Maxx. If it's high-heat searing I go straight raw cast iron or steel.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The Tramontina DO was a Cook's Illustrated best buy many years ago. Might still be cheaper than the Lodge. I've had a 6qt for almost 15 yrs, and no problems using it in the egg or indoors. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    caliking said:
    The Tramontina DO was a Cook's Illustrated best buy many years ago. Might still be cheaper than the Lodge. I've had a 6qt for almost 15 yrs, and no problems using it in the egg or indoors. 
    Sams club has a 6.5 or 7 qt Tramontina for $40. If you're not a member, get a day pass and pay a 10% upcharge. Maybe 15, I forget. Lodge 6 qt is $85.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/6-5q-dutch-oven-red-in-club-737160/prod18670053?xid=plp_product_1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    i dont like the reaction i get with tomatoes in a castiron so mostly use a cheap enameled bought at marshalls. when using it to roast though i use the straight up castiron. i believe lodge is all preseasoned now, ive had problems with those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    SonVolt said:

I 100% agree.  I've literally had the rims of my Lodge Enameled dutch oven rust during the cook. 

These day I reach for cheap tri-ply cookware for almost all outdoor cooking. Calphalon, Tramontina - whatever I find cheap at TJ Maxx. If it's high-heat searing I go straight raw cast iron or steel.

I understand the potential advantages of a heavy cast iron DO when used on a stovetop type of situation (tho I think they are minimal).
    When using a DO in an actual oven type of situation there are no real advantages to cast iron.
    A quick look on Amazon turns up this 9qt baby for just $40 - if I were ever inclined to fire up an Egg to use as an oven that's what I'd get. I'm not going to break out my Le Creuset for use on a grill.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Lodge Double Dutch Oven. The top doubles as a skillet.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B000LEXR0K

Mountain View, CA
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    le creuset has a sale on amazon right now.  They are krazy nice.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • caliking
    jdMyers said:
    I don’t get what’s so great about them. My Le Creuset 5qt DO is the least favorite  of the DO’s I have. The big handles are nice, but that’s a lot of money for big handles. 

• SonVolt
    caliking said:
    jdMyers said:
    I don’t get what’s so great about them. My Le Creuset 5qt DO is the least favorite  of the DO’s I have. The big handles are nice, but that’s a lot of money for big handles. 

Which Dutch Ovens do you prefer over your Le Creuset? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    I have a 5qt kitchen aid.  Its cast iron porcelain coated.  It does well.  Too scared to put it in my pizza oven.  Le Creuset goes in all day.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    caliking said:
    jdMyers said:

the bottoms are more uniform than most and it only matters if you are cooking over a thick cast iron hob simmer type plate, thats where they shine.  i use mine mostly in the oven and dont babysit it on the simmer plate. in the oven, over fire, in the egg theres no benefit over an inexpensive one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:
    jdMyers said:

I cook in my Staub 4qt most often. I like the lid design. Would have liked it even more if the inside was white, to see the fond develop while cooking. 

The finish on my LC was the worst of all. Had to sand the rim, because it would  scratch the lid (when flipped upside down to stack). That's pretty poor, given the price.  

• SonVolt
    Gotcha, I thought you were going to say Lodge. Love 'em but their enameled stuff is crap. Chipping, rusting, you name it I've seen it. 

Most of my enameled cast iron is Staub. The black interiors are more durable, plus they don't stain like the beige interiors of LC. Plus, they look more masculine, which matters to me since I carry a machete on my belt and only smoke Lucky Strikes. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:
    jdMyers said:

I cook in my Staub 4qt most often. I like the lid design. Would have liked it even more if the inside was white, to see the fond develop while cooking. 

The finish on my LC was the worst of all. Had to sand the rim, because it would  scratch the lid (when flipped upside down to stack). That's pretty poor, given the price.  

I have a Williams Sonoma brand, made by Staub, and I really like it.  We got it on sale for half price, so a really good deal.  I think they are probably on sale quite a bit if you keep your eyes out.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:
    jdMyers said:

I have a Williams Sonoma brand, made by Staub, and I really like it.  We got it on sale for half price, so a really good deal.  I think they are probably on sale quite a bit if you keep your eyes out.
    Got the Staub NIB for $60 at a pawn shop. Can't say that I would have bought one otherwise, but I love using it. 

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    What size pot do you use most often on the BGE - I suppose I should have asked this with the first question - THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INPUT - GREAT DISCUSSION 
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2021
    Depends what I"m cooking. 1lbs of beans usually a 4qt. If I need to braise a pork butt you'll need between 7-10qt depending on size of the roast.  Generally I prefer wider over taller. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    I think mine is a 6 or 8 qt.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    In the house I use Staub porcelain over iron. On the Egg, I use uncoated iron, it's practically indestructible and I can clean it with fire. 

Works great to make fries the "old" way - and if I use if to deep fry a few times a month it stays nicely seasoned.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• caliking
    If you get one with a phenolic knob, i think they're only good for temps under 375F. You can replace it with a metal cabinet knob from any hardware store, or buy a Le Creuset metal knob.

The LC knob was $12 when I bought it, and blings out my Tramontina DO quite nicely =)

• SonVolt
    The stainless Lodge knobs were a good value but they stopped selling them for some reason. 
  • caliking
    SonVolt said:
    The stainless Lodge knobs were a good value but they stopped selling them for some reason. 
    Never thought of that! It seems metal/SS DO knobs are available on Amazon for about $5.

Thanks for the tip. 

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    caliking said:
    If you get one with a phenolic knob, i think they're only good for temps under 375F. You can replace it with a metal cabinet knob from any hardware store, or buy a Le Creuset metal knob.

The LC knob was $12 when I bought it, and blings out my Tramontina DO quite nicely =)
    I did exactly this for my grilling pan lid ... I replaced it with a kitchen cabinet knob. Only thing is mine had a clear coat on it.  You could always do a burn in, but I sanded off the clear coat.  Works like a charm.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!