Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Beef

Options
Standbell
Standbell Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone experience with brining a beef eye of round? I will be doing it on my large egg, have done it before , but have never brined. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I've brined chickens, and pork, but never beef.
Thanks

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    standbell, I never have, but its a interesting idea. Here is a website called "Salt and Pepper" with a brine for brisket.

[ul][li]Salt&Pepper[/ul]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    standbell,[p] I brined a chuck roast once and it seemed to work pretty well. It will take longer for the brine to penetrate beef than it will to penetrate poultry (I left it in the brine for a couple of days). I find that the brine is a good opportunity to add flavor as well. When I did the chuck roast, I substituted Guinness for a bunch of the water in the brine. Worked pretty well.[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MikeO, would you believe, beef in brine for 5 to 7 weeks to be affective?? Found a great site in Norway last night.
    C~W[p]

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    MikeO,
    Well the Eye of Round has been brining since Friday early afternoon. I used a raher conventional brine of salt, brown sugar. fresh Rosemary, a bit of powdered clove,and a pinch of ginger. I plan to brine untill Monday, then build a marinade with soy sauce, worcesthser , brown sugar, and may be a bit of bourbon. I'l let the meat soak for 24 hrs, then on to the BGE. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
    Thanks for the advice. [p]