Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cod with Basic white Sauce

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
edited February 2021 in EggHead Forum
Made Cod (again).   Great cook because I got to use my favorite pan  :)

Breaded the fish with Egg Wash - Flour - Egg Wash - Panko.

Browned in the Pan on the Mini Max

Once browned, finished indirect on the grill -  Need to come up with another solution here, as they stuck to the grill.  Maybe a oiled pan or something next time.

Plated with some mash potatoes, corn and Basic White Sauce and home made mustard pickles.  For the Sauce, I also fried some onions in the butter at the beginning.   To thicken I added Potato Starch (more on that below) 

Potato Starch
I found myself with a bag of this and was not sure what to do with it, how it would be different from Corn Starch.   Watched a video of Jacques Pepin and he commented on it for his sauce.   Figured he may know a thing or 2 about cooking so I tried it here.    It turned out perfect!   The sauce thickened very fast and it had a nice smooth finish to it.    Different from the corn starch where it is sometimes 'chunky'.  Will be using this from now on, after I finish the Corn Starch box.

Thanks for looking

Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    That looks great!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is a great looking cook, something I failed at frequently. I have just begun to understand the basics, and made some minor adjustments, along the way. The cooks have turned out better, but the OCD in me, keeps pushing for better. Yours looks perfect.
    Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Is your white sauce basically béchamel? The flour thickens that. You lost me with your potato starch and corn starch comments. Always interested in a "new" sauce though. Any herbs in it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggNorth
    Options
    Is your white sauce basically béchamel? The flour thickens that. You lost me with your potato starch and corn starch comments. Always interested in a "new" sauce though. Any herbs in it?
    Not sure, it’s just butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper.  I add onions to it.    Sometimes the flour does not thicken enough for me so I add a bit of corn starch.  This time tried potato and it seemed to work much better.

I believe I got the recipe here

the green is chives I put on top to finish on the plate.
    Dave
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Not sure, it’s just butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper.  I add onions to it.    Sometimes the flour does not thicken enough for me so I add a bit of corn starch.  This time tried potato and it seemed to work much better.

So, béchamel with some added potato starch. Gotcha. With the cod, might be good with added oregano or thyme. May give that a try. Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggNorth
    Options
    EggNorth said:

So, béchamel with some added potato starch. Gotcha. With the cod, might be good with added oregano or thyme. May give that a try. Thanks.
    I like that idea ... will try that next time.  Thanks!
    Dave