Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Taste Question

Options
LEGGACY
LEGGACY Posts: 2
I wonder if y'all have a tried and true method as to when to put ribs on?  I have so many variations from cook to cook with either the lump charcoal and/or chunk of wood have heated up too long or short affecting the degree of smokey taste the ribs absorb.  I tried but never felt comfortable with the idea of waiting for the blue smoke to stop prior to putting meat on.  Thanks for any suggestions!.

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    I mix wood chips (or chunks or whatever) into the lump, in the middle and up through the center. 

I light the lump, and when the smoke smells good (when the charcoal is burning clean), i add the meat. 

With new lump, you have to wait until the VOC smell is gone. With old lump, the VOCs long gone, I can put the meat on fairly quickly as it is coming up to temp. 

I often jam a new chunk right on top of the coals when adding the platesetter and meat. 

I don’t buy into the “white smoke is bad” thing. White smoke is steam. 

If the smoke smells good, the smoke will taste good. 

Smoke doesn’t get absorbed by the meat. It basically lands on it. And it will add flavor at any time during the cook, not just before the (exterior of the) meat hits a certain temperature. 
  • LEGGACY
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Someone has to try to answer a question around here once in a while. The rest of the guys are arguing about the quality of the car Tiger was driving. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I am with @PigBeanUs - I don’t look for the smoke color as much as I do the smell. I do not like heavy smoke on ribs - that is a personal thing.  I like the taste of the pork, with just a hint of smoke.  So I use a mild lump - usually Rockwood. Once I have the pit temp I want (275 dome in my case) I will just place a couple of fist sized chunks of a mild hardwood in the lump before putting the ribs in - it is usually apple - maybe pecan.

There is no one correct answer, so go experiment and have fun.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Oh - and welcome to the forum !! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Welcome to the club.  Added to that.  Does everyone SOAK their wood chucks, chips or just toss em in right out the bag so speak.  Not foregoing proper placement, lean angle, or bark side up or down
    Columbus, Ohio
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    No need to soak in a BGE 

they can’t catch fire
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    after hovering over an egg cooking ribs the cook gets desensitized to the smoke, try staying away from the grill as much as possible. try leftover ribs the next day and you will taste the smoke.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    after hovering over an egg cooking ribs the cook gets desensitized to the smoke, try staying away from the grill as much as possible. try leftover ribs the next day and you will taste the smoke.
    Excuse me?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Nothing to add about the rib cook but welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    In most cases whenever you ask a question you will get a few different answers/approaches.  They will all work so, as mentioned above experiment (changing one variable at a time) til you land on something you like.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Excuse me?

used to have them when they sold the full spare rib rack but only see st louis cuts now. that upper part was for me and the dog for morning walks. i dont serve that and its better cold

How to Cut St Louis Style Ribs  Oklahoma Joes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it