Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane salamander Inferred steak broiler

If you ever broiled or seared a steak on a salamander 1500 degree inferred broiler they are amazing.  My gas grill has a inferred sear burner but Im still wanting J.J. Geroge one.  Stainless steel.  30 lbs.  Get a cover can leave it outside.  J.j. George and another brand.  In case anyone had interest.  Restaurant quality sear.

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    $399 is a really good price compared to the Otto Wilde. I would definitely be getting this if the Bluestar range I'm considering didn't have one built in. If I chicken out on the range I'll be swinging by the JJ George warehouse after work to pick up one. 

Venturing off-topic for sec...

The infrared burners on a gas grill have one major design flaw - they're on the bottom. They end up overheating the grates and burning grill marks into your steak. Not to mention the nasty flair ups. Great idea, they just need to be flipped up-side-down.  It would be truly awesome if the vertical infrared rotisserie burners could fold down to double as a broiler, then we wouldn't have to sacrifice grill space or buy a dedicated unit like the one above. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Serious question - don’t you feel you could do this in your wood oven?

Fire rolling over the top of a hot oven is a great broiler. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I got one from Northfire  a year or two ago. Their Inferno model.
    It's been solid.

The only drawback is that these smaller units obviously won't hold a Really Big Steak™ and that may be a dealbreaker for some. I'm not a Really Big Steak™ kinda guy so this model has been fine for me.

If you look on amazon there are quite a few of these type of cookers now at about this same price point. Was only a matter of time before some would finally show up in the market for less than a grand. The largest Inferno model is just under a grand.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2021
    Ive done it on the egg, but for me this is a  challenge.  Got egg perfect for chicken or burgers then to flip it for steaks or from steaks to something else a pain to get temp down to do other stuff.

Ive done it in the wood pizza oven, however the amount of wood to burn down to get the amount of embers needed works well, but a lot of prep time so to speak.  I personally enjoy it.  Wifes face waiting not so much. I  actually ordered the bbq500 pan/grill top just for the wood oven.  

Again for my gas grill with a sear burner is amaizing, but can not run other burners well at the same time.  The inferred burner is on the bottom.  Difficult on flarenups.  Great grill marks.  Generally heats up all the grates.  I had to put zone separators in.  Gas hog for other burners.

For those that dont have multiple options.  This stainless salamander is a beast.  Up to temp in 3 min, 1500 degrees.  Small footprint.  Another neat gaget.

Anyway just sharing portable propane salamanders.  

https://youtu.be/WjHVrRE9FdY
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @jdMyers Thanks. I’m all for new toys. I appreciate your clarification. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jdMyers
    I found what works best for me so far is egg at a normal non sear temp then over to gas grill sear burner one steak at a time for crust.  However im seriously considering this, theres an electric version as well. But jj geroge has an all stainless model son outside with a cover is great.  I believe it will do natural gas as well.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Are these really that good? I was excited when I saw this but watching videos on youtube my excitement went down. I get better sears on my PK than the videos I saw.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    HeavyG said:
    It's been solid.

The only drawback is that these smaller units obviously won't hold a Really Big Steak™ and that may be a dealbreaker for some. I'm not a Really Big Steak™ kinda guy so this model has been fine for me.

If you look on amazon there are quite a few of these type of cookers now at about this same price point. Was only a matter of time before some would finally show up in the market for less than a grand. The largest Inferno model is just under a grand.

What do you do with it?

Rent it out?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    Lit said:
    Are these really that good? I was excited when I saw this but watching videos on youtube my excitement went down. I get better sears on my PK than the videos I saw.

Depends if you like broiled steak. Searing over charcoal or in a pan isn't comparable, even if you get better color - they produce different results. Personally, and I've said this a few times, I find broiling the king of all steak cookery. Adam Perry Lange on his Joe Rogan appearance mentioned that he prefers broiling for high quality aged steaks and its what he chose for his steakhouse.  That said, the JJ George vids are terrible.  Most people reviewing these devices don't understand them. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    dmchicago said:
    HeavyG said:
    It's been solid.

What do you do with it?

Rent it out?

Makes for a solid bookend.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jdMyers
    I agree.  A high heat broil sear is much different than a high heat egg/grill cook.  It has a purpose.  For me and all the years in commercial kitchens, we used a salamanderfor more than just steaks.  Have to ubderstand uts abilities  I see a huge advantage.  Great for cheese melts, etc.    I opened the first olive Garden in my region.  We were traines by Italian chefs back then.  Everything from scratch.  Everything the old ways including all pastas.  We used an over head salamander so much it wasnt even funny.  Anyway I appreciate what it can do.  The quickness in which it can work, and I use my outdoor cook space for much more than just a grill.  
    Columbus, Ohio