Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ham and gravy

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,506
edited February 2021 in EggHead Forum
Smoked a usual maple bourbon ham

Didn't have the heart to discard the burnt/stuck on dripping

Mad Max turkey gravy technique came to mind, why not?
Put the pan on low heat, scrapped the dripping loose, added ghee and oil (no butter due to a family member's allergy), stirred in some flour, added some water, maple syrup and whisky. Mixed well and thickened.  Gravy tastes decent but haven't tried it with the ham yet, since this is a post dinner afterthought.

canuckland

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    🤤 

Put the pan on low heat, scrapped the dripping loose, added ghee and oil (no butter due to a family member's allergy), stirred in some flour, added some water, maple syrup and whisky. Mixed well and thickened.  Gravy tastes decent but haven't tried it with the ham yet, since this is a post dinner afterthought.

Isn't ghee just clarified butter?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Yno said:

Isn't ghee just clarified butter?

Mostly, yes, but the milk solids are strained off, so if that's what they are allergic to, then you are good.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    @Yno good question, @buzd504 is right, thanks.

When heated to the point of charring the milk solids settle to the bottom, good stuff to spread on toast or potatoes.

canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You had me at gravy. Looks most excellent. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    I've never tried making ham gravy, but if I were, I'd be tempted to try

Better Than Bouillon Ham Base

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Canugghead
    With steamed broccoli and garlic basil potato. Think it'll be better with grilled pineapple or pineapple bits in the gravy.

canuckland
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    There is always something new to try, thank you for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Looks like a great cook. When doing larger protein low and slow cooks, I never think to make use of the drippings. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    With steamed broccoli and garlic basil potato. Think it'll be better with grilled pineapple or pineapple bits in the gravy.

raisins is more traditional, maybe golden raisins, and grilled pineapple bits. maybe even whiskey soak the raisins
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    @GrateEggspectations It’s my first time experimenting with ham drippings, always do this with mad max turkey.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @fishlessman thanks, never thought of raisins. Raisins in the sauce and grilled pineapple on the side! I may also try infusing raisins/pineapple with whiskey under pressure, using my chamber sealer.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I love that plate! Didn't roast a ham for this past Thanksgiving, and I really missed it.

Gravy should be its own food group, IMO. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Ham steaks for breakfast usually inspire a red eye gravy from the pan fond. Never let flavor go to waste!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Canugghead
    Had a slice of leftover pineapple, grilled in CI pan, chilled(important step) and chamber sealed with raisins in whiskey.

Turned leftover ham scraps into alcohol loaded appetiser =)

canuckland