Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg, do they tip over

I have a guy who has a new table and he claims his small will tip over when he opens the lid. Is this true of all small eggs?
It also seems to me that his hinge is the same size as a large egg and in past I have a smaller cut out behind for hinge to drop down into. I have to replace the top now since the hinge is hitting the tabletop when opening. Of course Mr Murphy
says the table is in the furthest point away in continental US. May have a table available in Seattle

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Before replacing the top, I'd try to figure out how much the hinge won't clear; if it were only 1/4" or so I'd raise the Egg that much, instead.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    @Tspud1- just sent you a PM
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Botch said:
    Before replacing the top, I'd try to figure out how much the hinge won't clear; if it were only 1/4" or so I'd raise the Egg that much, instead.  
    he tried that and that was when he said it tipped. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Tspud1 said:
    Botch said:
    Ah, now the OP makes sense.  
    That's a badly-designed table, if that minute of a Center of Gravity shift can topple her over.  @tspud1, can you post another pic of the whole table?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The Small Egg tips easily than any of the other Eggs in my opinion.
    If there is any flex in the shelf it’s resting on, I’m sure it would make it worse.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
    The Small Egg tips easily than any of the other Eggs in my opinion.
    If there is any flex in the shelf it’s resting on, I’m sure it would make it worse.
    The Mini might be worse but it’s normally in a stand of some kind so I did’t count it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    my small never tipped over, it would have to sit on uneven ground and not level to tip over. dont see it tipping over in a table like that at all, how could it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That’s not a small egg. The hardware is BGE, but the ceramics are some other cooker . That one has a higher dome, also likely higher COG. That’s why it’s more likely to tip. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I’ve never had an issue with my SBGE tipping over.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2021
    caliking said:
    That’s not a small egg. The hardware is BGE, but the ceramics are some other cooker . That one has a higher dome, also likely higher COG. That’s why it’s more likely to tip. 
    No it's a BGE......just an old one.

That's the old finish before they went to the "golf ball divots" around 2000.  The base and dome never matched.  See the line down the base, that was a cast line.  They had more of an orange color than cream color.  They changed the dims of the medium back then, so they may have done the same with the small.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    caliking said:

That's the old finish before they went to the "golf ball divots" around 2000.  The base and dome never matched.  See the line down the base, that was a cast line.  They had more of an orange color than cream color.  They changed the dims of the medium back then, so they may have done the same with the small.
    And here I thought I had cracked the case :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Botch said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Botch said:
    That's a badly-designed table, if that minute of a Center of Gravity shift can topple her over.  @tspud1, can you post another pic of the whole table?  
    The table is in Seattle and I dont have picture of entire table. The table would look like the left side and storage area of this one, just eliminate the large egg and drawer on right. First time I heard my tables described as badly designed. Can I see a picture of yours?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Tspud1 said:
    Botch said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Botch said:
    The table is in Seattle and I dont have picture of entire table. The table would look like the left side and storage area of this one, just eliminate the large egg and drawer on right. First time I heard my tables described as badly designed. Can I see a picture of yours?
    If that table was within a 200 mile radius, I would be all over it.  Would even buy a small just for it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    caliking said:

They changed the dems of the mini also back then. I had an old mini with a line down it and when i upgraded to the new fire ring and plate setter i had to take a belt sander to the fire ring to make it fit. The grate size went from 9.5 to 10” on the mini at some point.