Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking cakes & brownies - best recipes

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
Hi all. I’ve not done a lot of baking on the egg (beyond pizza!) and have never tried making cake. I’m keen to try some smoked brownies and may follow this recipe. https://meatsmokefire.co.uk/recipes/desserts/smoked-chocolate-brownie/

But would likely use dark chocolate chopped rather than choc chips. 

Do you have a best method for brownies? And any recommendations for wood to use?

Any other sweet baking recipes and results?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Have done brownies, banana breads, cakes and cookies with great success. You can bake in your Egg as you would your oven. If using neutral lump, there will be little to no smoke on your goodies. If opting to add smoke, I would tend to go for something light - maybe just a little apple wood. 
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Hey. So I made some brownies at the weekend. Hands up: first time I’ve ever made brownies. Not even in the oven. I’m not much of a baker. But these turned out GREAT. I used some olive chips because I realised I only had massive chunks of apple (and I’ve lost my axe...) but the smoke had pretty much run out by the time I put them in. 

There’s a definite, subtle smoked taste to them. I’ll add more wood next time to make it a little more prominent. I’m surprised how light they taste. Can easily keep on eating them. Despite the recipe being for fudgier brownies (lots of butter, not much flour. Cakey brownies are the opposite). 

A bit dark at edges - potentially the sugar burning? Didn’t dry though - good all the way through. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    looks excellent!  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those darker ones on the edges are MINE!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.