Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco wagyu ground beef?

Options
Picked some up yesterday. Has anyone else tried? Overpriced or worth it for burgers? 

Boom

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It’s okay- I’ve used it a couple times, but wasn’t blown away by the difference compared to 80/20 freshly ground from grocery store

Greensboro, NC
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Same with @Wolfpack it’s good but not sure it’s worth the premium.  Our Kroger has it on clearance a lot (I don’t think it moves at like 12 a pound) to the masses.  It’s worth it on like 50% off.  My biggest complaint is those vacuum packages compress the meat so much you have to work to refluff it so you dont end up with hockey pucks. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I've never understood the logic of grinding wagyu into hamburger; I always thought the whole point to wagyu was having fat interspersed through a steak or other chunk that would lubricate the whole piece of cow.  
    Once you grind up the beef, you're free to add additional fat at any time, from wherever on the cow.  :confused:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Same with @Wolfpack it’s good but not sure it’s worth the premium.  Our Kroger has it on clearance a lot (I don’t think it moves at like 12 a pound) to the masses.  It’s worth it on like 50% off.  My biggest complaint is those vacuum packages compress the meat so much you have to work to refluff it so you dont end up with hockey pucks. 
      My biggest complaint is those vacuum packages compress the meat so much you have to work to refluff it so you dont end up with hockey pucks. 

This is the real answer. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    U_tarded said:
      My biggest complaint is those vacuum packages compress the meat so much you have to work to refluff it so you dont end up with hockey pucks. 

This is the real answer. 
    So you’re say you’re a fluffer?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    U_tarded said:

This is the real answer. 
    So you’re say you’re a fluffer?
     =)  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thought texture was mushy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JustBuggin
    Options
    Our Publix carries these occasionally. I agree with the above post on the texture, it's just a big pile of mush. I prefer the brisket/chuck mix patties they sell instead. Much better texture and good flavor. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I always buy the organic ground beef from Costco and there is virtually no difference in price between the two so game on.  Flavor is good in my opinion.  But the organic is as well.  Not sure I was any help.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've tried the Publix and the Sam's version. Both were a disappointment.