Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ways your egg can kill you

Options
13»

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options

so you set the turkey on the front fender of a Fairlane, powder blue, with original four-digit low-number license plate with expired tags, and bumperettes that you are sure weren't factory. Whose car? Who cares? Turkey dent and all.

Bending to pick up the ten, you hear the engine start and the wipers get to slapping. Wipers on a sunny day (see: spoiled rib roasts, above).

The Fairlane fairly lurches forward, throwing you to the ground, the right front wheel riding up your shirt (first), then up and over your surrendering ribcage (second), said ribs cracking loudly and audibly, surprising you, frankly. Your neck feels pierced with something sharp, but the tire seems so smooth and round. Might call it bald, even.

I'd run Humphrey over too if he set a turkey on the fender of my classic Ford Fairlane.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    500 said:

so you set the turkey on the front fender of a Fairlane, powder blue, with original four-digit low-number license plate with expired tags, and bumperettes that you are sure weren't factory. Whose car? Who cares? Turkey dent and all.

Bending to pick up the ten, you hear the engine start and the wipers get to slapping. Wipers on a sunny day (see: spoiled rib roasts, above).

The Fairlane fairly lurches forward, throwing you to the ground, the right front wheel riding up your shirt (first), then up and over your surrendering ribcage (second), said ribs cracking loudly and audibly, surprising you, frankly. Your neck feels pierced with something sharp, but the tire seems so smooth and round. Might call it bald, even.

I'd run Humphrey over too if he set a turkey on the fender of my classic Ford Fairlane.

Bumperettes don’t look factory. 

Your wife or mother have a blue bonnet?
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Getting you interested in lump charcoal, so much so, that you start a website devoted to lump charcoal, which prompts you to measure the moisture content of some lump charcoal, which prompts you to put some in an oven at 300 degrees, which causes the lump charcoal to unexpectedly ignite, which thank god, you found a) before the wife (yes, the wife who...) found it and b) before the house caught fire.

Getting you interested in lump charcoal, so much so, that you start a website devoted to lump charcoal, which prompts you to measure the moisture content of some lump charcoal, which prompts you to put some in an oven at 300 degrees, which causes the lump charcoal to unexpectedly ignite, which thank god, you found a) before the wife (yes, the wife who...) found it and b) before the house caught fire.
    You aren't the first. Oak wood chips I was attempting to simply char in the oven that I was going to use to age moonshine I had recently stilled caught fire.  I opened the oven door and flames flew out of oven.  All I could think is close door and yell Oh Sh@t and yelled for any of the kids to open the front door.  I grabbed oven mitts, opened oven, grabbed the firery pan, ran for the front door, and threw the pan into the yard, which was snow covered. Luckily the only damage was the oven knobs.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    RyanStl said:

You aren't the first. Oak wood chips I was attempting to simply char in the oven that I was going to use to age moonshine I had recently stilled caught fire.  I opened the oven door and flames flew out of oven.  All I could think is close door and yell Oh Sh@t and yelled for any of the kids to open the front door.  I grabbed oven mitts, opened oven, grabbed the firery pan, ran for the front door, and threw the pan into the yard, which was snow covered. Luckily the only damage was the oven knobs.
    Next time, char the chips on the Egg, or with a weed burner or propane torch of some kind.  And, I just learned this from the "Moonshiners Master Distiller" show; dunk the charred wood in water after charring them, or the liquor will taste like a campfire, which is what mine did taste like after soaking some charred chunks in 100 proof corn whiskey, in my attempt to "rapid age" it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    True Story: 

A few years ago, I decided to cold smoke some cheese, but found my egg frozen shut.  Normally, I would stick a starter cube up it's skirt and heat it up, but since I was cold smoking, I didn't want to light the lump.  I looked inside and saw that I had the grid and plate setter inside, so I dropped a cube down the chimney.  The cube burned for a few minutes and warmed up the inside enough that I could open the egg.  I pulled the grid, the plate setter and the KAB out of the grill, set them on the table and proceeded to cold smoke.  Of course, I balanced the grid on the KAB as I always do.

Inside, I was remodeling the bathroom in my house.  I was moving the lights from the side of the medicine cabinet to over the medicine cabinet, so I went down and flipped the bathroom breaker.  While I was moving wires and hooking things up, I thought I smelled gas.  That's odd, there is no gas in bathroom, so I kept working.  A while later, I really smelled gas, so I went down to investigate.  My SO had put something on the stove and turned it on.  The 110VAC for the stove must have been tied to the same breaker as the bathroom, so it never lit.  The entire first floor was filled with gas.  

I grabbed the back door and swung it open to air the place out.  That's when I noticed the egg table was on fire!  Apparently, some of the starter cube had ignited a little charcoal in the KAB and I set it right on the wooden table.  I extinguished the table with snow, and aired the house out.

But, had that table caught the deck on fire, which had caught the house, my egg would have killed me.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    500 said:
    RyanStl said:

Next time, char the chips on the Egg, or with a weed burner or propane torch of some kind.  And, I just learned this from the "Moonshiners Master Distiller" show; dunk the charred wood in water after charring them, or the liquor will taste like a campfire, which is what mine did taste like after soaking some charred chunks in 100 proof corn whiskey, in my attempt to "rapid age" it.
    Yes, looking back there would have been several better ways.  Anyway, the still was a fun experiment while I had access to the equipment.  I realized there is a good reason you technically need a permit to use where I live. It's a lot more hazardous than brewing beer.