Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Only looking to use it when we lose power.  I have a back-feed into my electric panel which was put in by my neighbor electrician. Double throw switch etc. My current/old generator died (crappy cheap China thing lasted me 8 years.)  It will be powering the fridges, freezer, bedroom fans, a few lights and well pump because not being able to flush stinks. 
     I do not care about powering anything else (hot water heater, TVs, AV, or HVAC (I have 2 wood burning stoves) etc.  The 3500kW did everything we needed it to do. I just want a easy starting, relatively small, quiet machine  I will go gas, but would prefer to hook into my propane line somehow. So just starting the research. 
    Coffee maker.
    How in god's name the cavemen ever made coffee without a Keurig will forever be a mystery to me.

Here is a possible lead. Contact these guys.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mark, because of the return policy, you might want to check out a propane capable generator at Costco.  They have gas/propane inverter in the 3kva range that you want.  It will be much more fuel efficient than a non-inverter.  Probably looking at around $900.

Finally, a reason to buy a tractor!
     I didn’t say it was the cheapest option 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jones2289
    Options
    Picked up a new (to me) Lesco spreader as my first FB Marketplace purchase.  It's overkill for our 1 acre yard, but sure beats the flimsy ones I've used in the past.  

As you can tell from the snow on the tires, it'll be a while before I get to use it here in Indiana...

Indianapolis, IN
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    jones2289 said:
    Picked up a new (to me) Lesco spreader as my first FB Marketplace purchase.  It's overkill for our 1 acre yard, but sure beats the flimsy ones I've used in the past.  

As you can tell from the snow on the tires, it'll be a while before I get to use it here in Indiana...

Good commercial brand
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @jones2289 I bought one of those new about ten years ago for $350 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jones2289
    Options
    @alaskanassasin - how's it worked out for you?

This one needs hosed off, but is mechanically sound...not that there's a ton to these things.  

I paid $200, which isn't a screaming deal by any means, but I was satisfied based on condition/required drive time
    Indianapolis, IN
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Works and looks as good as the day I bought it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I see you have the flower bed chute. That is nice for keeping grass seed in the yard
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    jones2289 said:

This one needs hosed off, but is mechanically sound...not that there's a ton to these things.  

I paid $200, which isn't a screaming deal by any means, but I was satisfied based on condition/required drive time
    Stands up to time and use. Very few do.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • jones2289
    Options
    @alaskanassasin
    I see you have the flower bed chute. That is nice for keeping grass seed in the yard

Yeah, I was excited to see it was included and hadn't been removed or broken off.  We've got a couple hundred feet of street/driveway footage, as well as mulch beds around the house and that's a BIG plus.  

jones2289 said:

Stands up to time and use. Very few do.
    @frazzdaddy That's exactly what I'm hoping for.  

Even using it 5-10 times a year, I got sick of having to constantly fidget with the plastic $#it on the Scott's spreader I had and hoping it puts down an even pattern.  Thought about buying the 50 pound Lesco spreader new, but for a little less, figured I'd have better luck reselling the 80 pound unit I got if the time comes.  
    Indianapolis, IN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Garden tractor with snow blade and chains since snowblower is back-ordered
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Glad I jumped on this deal before they sold out.

The 175watt high bay lights were (maybe mispriced) at $38.99.  I ordered 8 of them which should give me more and more even light at the shop. 

I'll put the switches by the entry door so I don't have to stumble through the dark to get to the old switches.  The old lights (mostly 400 watt Sodium HID) will stay as backup/auxiliary.

Options
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Of course Darn Tough made socks based on Bernie’s mittens.

https://darntough.com/products/unisex-merino-wool-jenerosity-crew-lightweight-lifestyle-socks

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Acn said:
    Do you recommend them for hiking socks?  I had a half-dozen pair of Thorlo's, purchased in 1992, that only wore out about ten years ago; I bought some more, but they shredded in a couple years, quality had really taken a nose-dive (if not the price).    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• butt_juice
    Options
    Gamestop and AMC stock :)
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Another book
    Whatd’ya buy?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Another horse and another dog.  Should probably get another hole in my head while I am at it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Botch said:
    Acn said:
    Do you recommend them for hiking socks?  I had a half-dozen pair of Thorlo's, purchased in 1992, that only wore out about ten years ago; I bought some more, but they shredded in a couple years, quality had really taken a nose-dive (if not the price).    
    I really do.  I wore them exclusively last summer
    when we went through SW Colorado, Arches, Canyonlands, the Tetons, and Yellowstone and I had no issues with my feet at all.  I’m working on converting my athletic and work socks over.

One good thing about the darn toughs, if they wear out, you can send them back to be repaired.  Plus, still made in VT.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Another book
    Whatd’ya buy?
    Got an obscure thing published in the 1890s, limited to 300 or so, rebound in an elaborate binding. It was in a German auction, at 4am, and all the other stuff in the auction appealed to completely different collectors (mine was the only thing of interest to collectors like me).  Had one bad photo, and the auctioneer didn’t do any research on it, so no American collectors probably even knew about it. 

Night before, I put in my max bid, and woke up to see no one else bid on it. Got it for 10% of what I was willing to pay. 

That really helps the average. 

There was an article written about it when it was created. Took two weeks to make. Would probably cost thirty times what I paid in order to replicate the work today. 

Last couple I was not so lucky!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Another book
    Whatd’ya buy?
    Got an obscure thing published in the 1890s, limited to 300 or so, rebound in an elaborate binding. It was in a German auction, at 4am, and all the other stuff in the auction appealed to completely different collectors (mine was the only thing of interest to collectors like me).  Had one bad photo, and the auctioneer didn’t do any research on it, so no American collectors probably even knew about it. 

Night before, I put in my max bid, and woke up to see no one else bid on it. Got it for 10% of what I was willing to pay. 

That really helps the average. 

There was an article written about it when it was created. Took two weeks to make. Would probably cost thirty times what I paid in order to replicate the work today. 

Last couple I was not so lucky!

So it probably hadn't come out on Kindle yet...

I had sold a few old books maybe 20-some years ago.  One guy in Canada bought one...first time I shipped there, learned that I should have marked it as a "gift" on the customs label.  I think it was authored by Lord Byron, printed well after his death, late 1800s.  Leather binding, but it had a tear on the seam.  Beautiful art work on the insides of the cover.

Options

Options
    Glad I jumped on this deal before they sold out.

The 175watt high bay lights were (maybe mispriced) at $38.99.  I ordered 8 of them which should give me more and more even light at the shop. 

I'll put the switches by the entry door so I don't have to stumble through the dark to get to the old switches.  The old lights (mostly 400 watt Sodium HID) will stay as backup/auxiliary.

Post pictures of them when installed.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    old lights...
    Options
    With those wide white ceilings I think I'd be bouncing most of my light off of that with some spot lighting just where needed.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options

That should help you get that weight back on that you've lost =)  
    I think they are all hard,  what's your position on soft & blue cheeses?
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

That should help you get that weight back on that you've lost =)  
    I think they are all hard,  what's your position on soft & blue cheeses?
    SWMBO ordered this...she prefers hard cheeses, especially aged.

I prefer soft cheeses.  Had a blue the other day ranked first in world 2019.

Insane.  But I'm happy with a good blue or a stinky cheese.  I'll ask for the strongest.

Options
    Been looking at getting a new pan and saw Trim posted this in another thread. About to prep some tortillas to try it out.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    More rub. 
    Las Vegas, NV