Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Describe your worst cook

Options

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    My worst cook? Every attempt ever trying to make chili rellenos. I can never seem to get them to work.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    When I first started using the BGE and prior to my Smobot purchase, I have struggled at times with the XL to maintain steady temps other than 250 degrees, depending on multiple variables to include brand of charcoal, outside weather conditions, etc.

I don't know that I have had one "worst" cook as I have had so many over my first year or so with different proteins.  I have ruined pizzas with too hot of temps, under-cooked a larger than what I normally purchase Thanksgiving turkey with 170 degree breasts, 185 or whatever for the legs and like 115 degrees for the thighs with a pitt temp that started at 285 and somehow decided to climb to almost 400 degree  UGGGGH...   Yes, we microwaved the damn thighs and surrounding meat to eat and cut off the black charred skin since the rest of sides for our feast were complete and would otherwise get cold.

I have turned steaks into inedible leather that even the dog got tired of chewing on.  I certainly had some painful cooks that first year or so.  Again prior to the Smobot, I had steady temps on a butt and only wake up to find out the butt is 160 degrees and the pitt is out...  did it reach 190-ish prior to the fire going out and then cool down...  did it die on the stall? 

I see there are outstanding home cooks on this site and although I don't post a whole lot, it is more because I am reading and learning still to this day although thankfully "screw ups" are rare for me now.  Of course I don't want to think about the amount of money wasted for this experience/education.  LOL

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    This is a very therapeutic thread.  I figured all you guys were perfect and couldn't screw anything up on your eggs.

I ruined a pan of cheesy potatoes thinking that "a little smoke" might really be good.  They tasted like an ashtray that had gone through a mobile home-that-doubled-as-a-meth-lab fire. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Had a guest for seafood paella. 

Scallops, little neck clams, lobster

Doubled the typical recipe amounts, except for the broth (for the rice). 

Crunchcrunchcrunchcrunch

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    first time I tried to make homemade gravy with turkey drippings it came out like greasy, wet concrete.  

First brisket on the egg was about the same level of tenderness as the sole on my boots.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • chucktee
    Options
    Maybe technically not a cook, cold smoked cheese.  Emboldened by my successful first attempt, I loaded the Egg with as much as I could fit on two grates.  Smoked for three hours with Traeger cherry pellets in an A-Maze-N tray.  Vacuum sealed immediately (I didn't do this the first time around).

After three weeks in the fridge, everything I tasted was still as acrid as day one.  Some of it never improved, even after several weeks in Ziploc bags with some air.

This was last fall.  I haven't had the opportunity to try again and figure out which of the many possible missteps did the most harm.
    Huntsville, AL
    LBGE -- KAB -- PSWoo and extender -- and a nice pair of tongs
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    When I first got my egg 15+ years ago I did not know about the forum. I also had no idea how to cook a brisket. But that didnt stop me, I also didnt know the difference between a packer and a flat. I smoked a flat at 250 for a couple hours, I checked the IT and it was 160, I figured that was well done for beef. Needless to say I made the finest shoe leather known to man....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    chucktee said:
    Maybe technically not a cook, cold smoked cheese.  Emboldened by my successful first attempt, I loaded the Egg with as much as I could fit on two grates.  Smoked for three hours with Traeger cherry pellets in an A-Maze-N tray.  Vacuum sealed immediately (I didn't do this the first time around).

After three weeks in the fridge, everything I tasted was still as acrid as day one.  Some of it never improved, even after several weeks in Ziploc bags with some air.

This was last fall.  I haven't had the opportunity to try again and figure out which of the many possible missteps did the most harm.
    I smoked a bunch this weekend.  I only go an hour, and I double wrap (Saran, then ziploc with air pushed out) when done.  Same setup as you, otherwise.  I then let it rest in the fridge for 2 weeks before I touch it again.  Good luck!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    chucktee said:

Try washing the cheese under some cold water.

lousubcap said:
    I have had my share of "worst cooks" but the worst (and most expensive) was when I had the LBGE fired up, dome open, temp around 400*F and shutting the bottom vent to get a nice bed of coals for a paella cook.  Upon nudging it shut the last 1/4-1/8" I encountered some resistance.  Pushed a bit harder and the BGE toppled over, off the porch and partially into a flower bed about 18" below.  What didn't find the bed found the concrete patio and that was all she wrote.  Salvaged the base (flowers to the rescue) and fire ring.  
    I wasn't even close to LEO at the time.  Good thing as I grabbed the close by hose and got the lump extinguished.  Creatively managed to execute the cook on the SBGE!
    Not sure I would have had the stomach to proceed with the cook on the SBGE after watching my LBGE pull a Humpty Dumpty. That’s resilience and determination!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I made some pizza that tasted like a house fire when I tried to use splits in the egg. 

Before that, my first cook on a kamado was a chicken that tasted like an ash tray at a bowling alley...I didn't get good smoke.  That chicken got deboned and jettisoned into the neighbors yard with the pack of misfit dogs.  Surprised they didn't run away.

Few other less memorable terrible proteins occurred.  Teachable moments that don't result in hospitalization or death are good in the long run to keep us humble.
    Options
    I've cooked several things that turned out tasting like a creosote ash tray because I didn't know how to manage the smoke - the most distressing of which was a beef tenderloin.

But the worst cook - because it was frankly inedible - was some ribs done turbo without a drip pan.  The radiant heat from the hot convEGGtor burned the bottom of the ribs to a crisp in the usual time that it would/should take to cook some turbo ribs.  That's how I learned the importance of a drip pan that is spaced with an air gap off whatever you are using as a heat blocker - especially when doing a turbo cook.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Newly married, I found a Publix Apron's recipe for a chicken, mashed potato and corn bowl. Bought all of the ingredients and started cooking. After 30+ minutes in the oven, the chicken was nowhere near cooked. After reading the recipe again, I was supposed to buy Publix fried chicken tenders - not boneless skinless tenders. 

We threw it in the trash and went through Chick Fil-A drive through. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Foghorn said:
    I've cooked several things that turned out tasting like a creosote ash tray because I didn't know how to manage the smoke - the most distressing of which was a beef tenderloin.

But the worst cook - because it was frankly inedible - was some ribs done turbo without a drip pan.  The radiant heat from the hot convEGGtor burned the bottom of the ribs to a crisp in the usual time that it would/should take to cook some turbo ribs.  That's how I learned the importance of a drip pan that is spaced with an air gap off whatever you are using as a heat blocker - especially when doing a turbo cook.  
    For YEARS the official BGE steak recipe was the Sear and Dwell method. 

It called for a screaming sear on both sides and then to shut down the egg completely. Shut all vents and let the steak come to temperature under the dome heat, not the fire. 

It’s actually (in concept) not different from virtually every method of cooking a steak that is two step.

in no particular order:

-leave steaks on the counter for an hour to warm up, then sear

-sous vide to a particular internal temp, then sear to finish

-hot tub and then sear (slightly different than sous vide)

-sear on both sides (grill or pan sear), and then finish by roasting in an oven

The “Sear and Dwell” method though is disastrous for anything with fat (ribeyes particularly).

You have just been searing at nuclear temps. The fire is roaring. Then you are told to choke the life out of the fire. 

As the coals struggle and die, they throw off horrible smoke, like blowing out a candle. Incomplete combustion. 

Now let’s add dripping fat!  The fat from the rib eye provides more fuel for the dying fire, prolonging the sooty death throes. 

Enjoy!
    @PigBeanUs, yeah, I get that.  I've done it a couple of times.  It results in a "smoky" flavor that one can convince one's self is good even though it's not because it tastes like some of the things my dad used to cook.

The creosote taste I'm talking about comes from using a vertical bullet smoker (not an egg) that has a relatively small door for adding coal... and small vents... and an inexperienced cook who wants the temp to get above 250... so he adds small cut limbs of mesquite with full bark that isn't very dry to try to get the temp up because he doesn't realize that the limiting step to his temperature is air, not wood... so the relatively fresh mesquite burns in an oxygen-limited environment from the beginning when the meat is put on cold and is maximally absorbing the smoke flavor, to the end when it tastes like a creosote ash tray.  Even a thick layer of sweet BBQ sauce on ribs cooked in this environment couldn't mask the bitter flavor.  This taste was many times stronger than the sear and dwell "smoky" flavor.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    still practicing for my worst cook. from the weekend, a birria taco beef shank braise over pasta, then added provolone and chili crisp, the chili crisp set on fire.

working on worst pic as well

went down well with an ipa though, oddly the provolone did not taste burnt.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Foghorn @PigBeanUs I was still learning to manage heat in my wood oven when I decided to cook a quiche. The oven was too hot so I had the bright idea to close the door and extinguish the fire. Der - uhm - can you say acrid smoke? Leaving that quiche sealed inside a dome of nasty smoke taught me a good lesson. That thing was nasty.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    There are still people here that regularly snuff their eggs with stuff inside.  If you like the result, keep on doing it. I'm not going to suggest a menu for someone with pica.
    Options
    May not qualify as 'worst cook', but definitely worst cleanup job so far...

This weekend I dusted some wings with cornstarch and put them into the Joetisserie tumble basket. 

Didn't even get the crispy wings and on top of that I had some major cornstarch concrete to remove from the spit & basket....  took hours of soaking and scrubbing.

Next time, I'm simply trying raised direct with the cornstarch...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Maybe not the worst, but one of the most memorable. Years ago I had a big prime rib on the rotisserie on the gas grill. My future wife and a friend were there, along with my brother. My mother (had to move her in when she developed dementia) had a cat that hated me. Stupid beast tried to make a jump that was past its ability, and started limping and drying. I had to drive it to the vet while my brother held it down. While waiting for the exam, I got a call from my soon to be bride that the roast was on fire, and asked what to do. I told here to turn of the gas and hose down the roast. 

It actually turned out rather well (not well done!). The outside was a bit crispy, but a little trimming and the inside was great. But this is not a method I will intentionally try again.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Yno said:
    Maybe not the worst, but one of the most memorable. Years ago I had a big prime rib on the rotisserie on the gas grill. My future wife and a friend were there, along with my brother. My mother (had to move her in when she developed dementia) had a cat that hated me. Stupid beast tried to make a jump that was past its ability, and started limping and drying. I had to drive it to the vet while my brother held it down. While waiting for the exam, I got a call from my soon to be bride that the roast was on fire, and asked what to do. I told here to turn of the gas and hose down the roast. 

It actually turned out rather well (not well done!). The outside was a bit crispy, but a little trimming and the inside was great. But this is not a method I will intentionally try again.
    And the cat?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Oooops
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    Yno said:

Man, I thought the cat landed on the grill  =)
    canuckland
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    My worst cook? 

Well, I cooked up some sausages decades ago ... and then got side tracked, showing my father in law stuff I did around the house ... totally forgot. When I finally remembered ... talk about cremated! They were as hard as a brick ... he wasn't impressed. LOL
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Yno said:

Good story. Major props for taking in your mother. That was/is no doubt a challenge and I often think that Western society often fails its elderly.
  • JustBuggin
    Options
    My first couple pizza cooks on the egg are what I consider my worst. They all either stuck to the stone, were under cooked terribly or burnt to a crisp on the bottom and raw on top. After about four tries I almost have up they were so bad. Then I found the threads about not using Publix dough and made my own. Much better results. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My first couple pizza cooks on the egg are what I consider my worst. They all either stuck to the stone, were under cooked terribly or burnt to a crisp on the bottom and raw on top. After about four tries I almost have up they were so bad. Then I found the threads about not using Publix dough and made my own. Much better results. 
    This has been a challenge for me as well. See active thread: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1226896/best-walkthrough-of-pizza-on-the-egg#latest

I had almost given up too, but I’ve now made a few that I’ve been quite happy with. I’ve told myself that I’m going to keep at it to hone the skill.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I made a small batch of Pork Belly Burnt Ends a few months ago. The heat got away from me and they were turned into Pork Jerky Nuggets. Live and learn. I'm glad it was a small batch.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    To those who asked about the cat and my mother... Well, both had good long lives. I miss my mother. Not the cat.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • ZGonzz
    ZGonzz Posts: 10
    Options
    10 years ago, had the egg for maybe a month.  Had several people at our house, they brought their kids.  We didn't have kids at the time and didn't realize they required a balanced meal, something beyond only wings. 

Had the both tiers of racks loaded w wings.  SEC football was on, drinks were being consumed and I lost track of time.  Wings were vitrified.  I wish i took a photo.

Everyone was polite, so they ate the wings.  All you could here was the terrible sound of people chewing on glass.

My friends still remind me of that day.