Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb shoulder

has anyone ever done a bone in lamb shoulder?  I am thinking of attempting this recipe on the egg:

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/the-zahav-lamb-shoulder

It's from a fantastic Israeli restaurant in Philadelphia. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That should work well with the egg. The finish in the oven part would be necessary for a crustier exterior. Post it when you do it. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Funny enough I'm doing a Lamb shoulder this weekend but using a different preparation. Looking to do a Mexican preparation of Lamb Barbacoa. I'm thinking of doing a sear before hand in a pan on the stove top or in the broiler for 15 mins. From there it will spend 5 - 6 hours @ 280 -300 degrees in a roasting pan in the egg
  • Undecided if I am doing it the night before so that it can cool in the braising liquid
  • I'm also torn on overnight rest in liquid. What's benefit of letting it cool before reheating in oven. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I did a half boneless shoulder a couple of weeks ago. I was doing a butt and ribs and decided to thaw and go low and slow with a Turkish southern fusion rub. Pulled and frozen in small batchs for tacos. Delish. It's the smaller on the left. Ribs weren't white, they just went on and the sun was bright as hell  
  • Taking a bath overnight!

• After 5 hours of an oak and cherry wood smoke the shoulder will sit overnight in the liquid. The aroma of cherry and oak wood with lamb and pomegranate was incredible!

• And the verdict is in:  best cook I've done on egg! This recipe is a keeper. The brine made the lamb incredibly tender. The cherry and oak went perfect with the gaminess. And I will continue to find ways to pair pomegranate and lamb as the combo is great. Only thing I'd change next time is using a smaller roasting pan so I wouldn't have to spend as much time reducing the liquid for an optimal glaze. 

• Did you smoke first without liquid and then braise in the pan? What temp do you recommend. 
    Looks great! 
  • Sorry just saw this!  Smoke with no liquids then sit in the pan with the pomegranate liquid mix overnight before braising. If I remember correctly smoke temp was around 250
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Looks and sounds great. Do you think I could skip the brine? I just don’t have the fridge space for it. 

I’ve cooked a lot of lamb shoulder - lots of Turkish people live nearby so the local Turkish supermarket sell lamb cheaper than any other red meat
  • And the verdict is in:  best cook I've done on egg! This recipe is a keeper. The brine made the lamb incredibly tender. The cherry and oak went perfect with the gaminess. And I will continue to find ways to pair pomegranate and lamb as the combo is great. Only thing I'd change next time is using a smaller roasting pan so I wouldn't have to spend as much time reducing the liquid for an optimal glaze. 

That looks fantastic.  I've cooked bone in leg of lamb once, and my results were disappointing, but yours looks like you hit a homerun.