Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs (Full Plate)

Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
edited January 2021 in Beef
Doing these babies today. 8 lbs of beef ribs, full plate (4 long bones with about 2" to 3" of meat on outside).

Will cook at 275F indirect on the egg.

I guess I should take these to 200F internal, or should I do them more like a rib roast to 135F, because of all the meat on them??

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    edited January 2021
    I go by feel not temp.  When they probe like buttah they are done.  Brisket on a stick.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    It’s best to cook them like brisket - go to 200-205. They should probe like butter in the middle. Great looking cook! Aka brisket on a stick. These will end up like brisket. 

If you did 135, I think they would be a tough cut of meat. It would be a med-rare chuck steak on top of ribs. Bring out the dental floss after eating 😁
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Lol, so how long is this gonna take to cook then??
  • sumoconnell
    I’d think about 6 hours at that temp. I’ve had an issue where the bottom gets over done by the time it’s proving like butter, you might put a layer of foil under it after a few hours.
  • Every cow is different but plan 6-8 hrs.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Mark_B_Good
    I better get this thing on now then!! I was thinking 3.5h lol. Fire is lit and waiting for the needle to hit 250F (I'll try and speed up a little by cooking at 250F to 275F).

Do you guys foil wrap at 160F to speed up the cook??
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited January 2021
    I smoked one on new year’s day.

8h30 - Started the egg aiming for 250F and remained there pretty stable until I raised the temp toward the end
    10h30 - Placed ribs on the egg
    15h00-19h00 Stall @176-177F
    19h30 - SWMBO was impatient so I bumped the egg temp to 300-350F
    20h30 - Probing like butter everywhere @204F

That was 10 hours, the previous one I did took 8 hours.

I go ~6 hours at 275, raised, indirect, no wrap.  Good luck!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Mark_B_Good
    Ok, I'm at 275F now, and they went in at 12:15. If they come off in 6h and with 15 min rest, we're eating at 6:30 pm. That would be perfect.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited January 2021
    Good luck with the timing as they will remind you that the friggin cow drives the cook.  Never have foiled them and go til they probe like butter as noted above.  I would roll at around 300*F given your eat time.  You can always hold them (FTC) but could be pressed to get them across the line otherwise.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Start probing at 5 hours, pull when they probe tender. The last few I have cooked were done in just under 6 hours at 250. The cow drives the cook time.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Having the same protein today. On at 11:00 and rolling at 260-275  will be done when done  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Mine that I cooked the other day at 275 took about 4hrs. The rack was about 4.5lbs. I love beef ribs.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Mark_B_Good
    edited January 2021
    4h in and I'm at 155F internal. Not bad ... 2h to dinner time. I think I am hitting a bit of a stall now, last 30 minutes only went up 5F. I'm gonna start pushing dome up from 275F to 300F, just to be on the safe side.

They are looking great. Can't wait to sink my teeth into these.
  • Mark_B_Good
    4 hours in...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sea2Ski said:
    Mine let loose at 5:15 at 196F internal. 

Looks good Buddy

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • sumoconnell
    Looks great! I don’t know why I said 200-205 earlier, that’s pork not beef. 
  • Nice job!  You will eat good.  Enjoy!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • lousubcap
    @Mark_B_Good - those look great and one of the few four bone rib cooks where they all advanced/retracted in unison.  Enjoy the brisket on a stick.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Looks delicious.  I made beef ribs once and they were not great, you convinced me to try again.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Mark_B_Good
    So here's a rib plated ... taste was 100%, BUT could have been more tender. Some parts probed like butter but that seemed to be top inch, then it was tougher as you got close to the bone. No one complained though.

• Mark_B_Good
    So as i mentioned above, I ended up cooking at 275F for first 4h, and then cranked to 300F for last 2h and 15 min ... to reach 196F internal. It was like 6:30 pm and I needed to take it off to serve for dinner, plus because I was cooking hotter at a dome of 300F, it would have dried out if I took it to 205F. To go to 205F you really need to keep the egg temperature at 225F or it dries out.

This probably would have made it an 8h to 10h cook. Which wouldn't have worked in my case due to my late start.

A friend of mine foil wrapped about two thirds the way in. He got finished much quicker and they came out perfectly tender and tasty. I think next time I'll wrap at 160F, and see how thst turns out.
  • lousubcap
    In the end game, the toothpick test for the win-temperature independent.  FWIW-
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited January 2021

A friend of mine foil wrapped about two thirds the way in. He got finished much quicker and they came out perfectly tender and tasty. I think next time I'll wrap at 160F, and see how thst turns out.
    I think that you want to wrap when the stall starts which in my case was close to 176F but I can’t say that I am an expert... Except for my last brisket, I had fairly disappointing results but I am now thinking that this has something to do with the quality of the meat.  I consistently had good results with beef short ribs which I have cooked 6 times over the last year.  First 2 times, I wrapped in butcher paper about an hour after reaching the stall and I had good results both times.  They were also ready much faster than my last 4 times where I did not wrap.  When not wrapping, I averaged 8 hours but my last one took 10 hours (identical weight).  I preferred the ones that were not wrapped but both are totally ok.  I can say now that this is the piece of meat that I appreciate the most cooked on the egg.

lousubcap said:
    Agreed, but a few questions ... a thin toothpick or something more blunt like a chop stick?

I probed lots of areas like butter, but hit a few tougher areas, and definitely when I went deeper than an inch, I felt resistance. So that means some areas were good, some not ... if I wait for everything to probe easy ... won't these parts that reached done earlier just dry out?
  • lousubcap
    I use a normal round toothpick test for any rib cook and go til it probes clean and smooth for the entire rack unless you have a few rack ends with little to no meat.  Between the meat for pork back, st louis cut and spares as well as beef back ribs.  For the plate ribs I go thru the meat on the bones again til a clean and smooth feel.  Never have experienced any dry out especially with the high fat content of the plate cut.  Hope this helps.  
  • Mark_B_Good
    lousubcap said:
    I use a normal round toothpick test for any rib cook and go til it probes clean and smooth for the entire rack unless you have a few rack ends with little to no meat.  Between the meat for pork back, st louis cut and spares as well as beef back ribs.  For the plate ribs I go thru the meat on the bones again til a clean and smooth feel.  Never have experienced any dry out especially with the high fat content of the plate cut.  Hope this helps.  
    It sure does help, thank you.

I was worried because my dome was 300F, taking it all to probing clean would have dried them out. If the dome was at 225F, I'd have no concerns going all the way to 205F internal, or wherever the tooth pick says it's enough.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    lousubcap said:
    Agreed, but a few questions ... a thin toothpick or something more blunt like a chop stick?

I probed lots of areas like butter, but hit a few tougher areas, and definitely when I went deeper than an inch, I felt resistance. So that means some areas were good, some not ... if I wait for everything to probe easy ... won't these parts that reached done earlier just dry out?

Remember that if you are down to just a few spots that still have resistance, they will probably cook during carryover cooking - especially if you are FTC.  Either way, resting at least an hour should take care of it.
    NOLA