Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower intake vent fan

Options
I am using a small fan aimed at my lower vent to help achieve high temp pizza cooks. Very inefficient. Does anyone know of a fan that will adapt to the lower vent, like a bellows or digi Q fan , that will run constantly and not need to be connected to a controller?

Mark
Still Learnin'

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I have never used a pizza porta but if you start with a clean egg and loosely piled in chunks of coal, piled all the way to the top of the fire ring there is no reason your egg shouldn’t go nuclear.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Well, sir your idea of using a fan blowing into your lower vent with the protective screen open and while sitting that close to your home is enough to scare me. Pease MOVE IT
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BTW just in case you don’t know it - your dome is sitting in your band quite crooked. Properly seated then your dome thermometer should be in the middle over your handle.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mkevenson
    Options
    alaskanassasin & Sticharcoal, thanks for the help. I ordered a BBQ dragon, not withstanding a couple negative comments. My wife gets her fan back. Not that she needs it when it's snowing!
    Still Learnin'
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Seems like a poorly set stoker could do this - there was quite a kerfuffle about that recently!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    why not Just use a controller and leave the pit probe out of the pit? It should call for air constantly. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a large egg that will easily reach 900°+. No fans needed, just leave the top and bottom vents open and load plenty of lump. Scary as hell!

I used to think the egg could function as a wood fired oven. It cannot. BTW, I haven't done this in many years... 

It can however, do as @RRP implies. I too, suggest you move it. House fires will ruin your day.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mkevenson
    Options
    why not Just use a controller and leave the pit probe out of the pit? It should call for air constantly. 
    pgprescott, thanks, I will try that method.
    Still Learnin'
  • mkevenson
    Options
    Seems like a poorly set stoker could do this - there was quite a kerfuffle about that recently!
    I missed that discussion and unfamiliar with the " poorly set stoker". Carolina Q said:
    I have a large egg that will easily reach 900°+. No fans needed, just leave the top and bottom vents open and load plenty of lump. Scary as hell!

I used to think the egg could function as a wood fired oven. It cannot. BTW, I haven't done this in many years... 

It can however, do as @RRP implies. I too, suggest you move it. House fires will ruin your day.
    CarolinaQ, it seems that the folks over at Pizza-Porta have cooked hundreds of pies at high temps. Other than the dome coming loose and falling off, preventable, what fire hazards are encountered? I will review RRP's posts. 
    Still Learnin'
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    mkevenson said:
    I missed that discussion and unfamiliar with the " poorly set stoker". Carolina Q said:

CarolinaQ, it seems that the folks over at Pizza-Porta have cooked hundreds of pies at high temps. Other than the dome coming loose and falling off, preventable, what fire hazards are encountered? I will review RRP's posts. 

Hot embers blowing out the top especially using a fan and into your deck, or that dormant ornamental grass for example.   Do the Pizza-Porta guys recommend using a fan?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• mkevenson
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW just in case you don’t know it - your dome is sitting in your band quite crooked. Properly seated then your dome thermometer should be in the middle over your handle.
    RRP, sorry I missed your reply yesterday. I see the misplacement of the thermometer
    being aesthetically incorrect, however the dome being a spherical shape and with no smoke leakage, I  wonder if it maters? I have made the adjustment since that pic was taken when I changed the gasket. More important, obviously, is any fire danger.The BGE now resides in a table built for it and an additional concrete pad is being made further away from the back deck. I believe I will move my fire extinguisher outside also. Do you know of cases where there were fires being caused from an upright BGE? Curious.
    Still Learnin'
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    My un-monitered egg wrapped the thermometer last week with the bottom and top vents half closed. Does the pizza porta create a draft block?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    What temps are you trying to hit?

You shouldnt need a constant forced stream of air to hit 700-800, just a good amount (or time) at the beginning, during start up or after the fire is established (to bump temps up quickly). Once the fire hits a certain temp it should roar right along

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    mkevenson said:
    RRP said:
    RRP, sorry I missed your reply yesterday. I see the misplacement of the thermometer
    being aesthetically incorrect, however the dome being a spherical shape and with no smoke leakage, I  wonder if it maters? I have made the adjustment since that pic was taken when I changed the gasket. More important, obviously, is any fire danger.The BGE now resides in a table built for it and an additional concrete pad is being made further away from the back deck. I believe I will move my fire extinguisher outside also. Do you know of cases where there were fires being caused from an upright BGE? Curious.

There is a dimple in the dome that is supposed to line up with a tit on the top band for proper placement/alignment.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    we used to make a bent metal clip that bolted to the band at the handle, up over the dome lid lip to hold the dome on at high temps. with the daisy off the dome on the ground you can get it to 800/900 fairly quick, then get it to as high as 1200 by reaching in the lower vent and shaking/ poking the lump grate with a wiggle stick (just a long rod bent at the end to poke thru the grate). make sure the lump grate has the bevel side facing down as it collects less ash that way. the new bands have the dome clips built in but not sure that band is compatable with that rig, ask over there. there have been fires with the lower vent open before the screens
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    we used to make a bent metal clip that bolted to the band at the handle, up over the dome lid lip to hold the dome on at high temps. with the daisy off the dome on the ground you can get it to 800/900 fairly quick, then get it to as high as 1200 by reaching in the lower vent and shaking/ poking the lump grate with a wiggle stick (just a long rod bent at the end to poke thru the grate). make sure the lump grate has the bevel side facing down as it collects less ash that way. the new bands have the dome clips built in but not sure that band is compatable with that rig, ask over there. there have been fires with the lower vent open before the screens

This is my thinking too.

700-800, even 1100, can be reached with a full load of lump and a little time.

Maybe the pizza oven insert thing is really affecting draft, though?

No familiarity with that thing, myself.

• fishlessman
    Options
    this will keep the dome from falling out, really simple to make. mounts to the handle bolt

fukahwee maine

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    So it looks like PP recommends leaving the top chimney vent closed to circulate air in the dome and controlling temp by a small pedal style vent on the side of the PP insert.  Visually that vent looks smaller than the daisy wheel. I think this setup is causing airflow issues because this would be like trying to get a raging fire with just the pedals open on the DW.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mkevenson
    Options
    mkevenson said:

Hot embers blowing out the top especially using a fan and into your deck, or that dormant ornamental grass for example.   Do the Pizza-Porta guys recommend using a fan?
    Nope, my idea. The top vent however is closed during the pizza cook, exhaust thru the pizza-porta. At high temps I have never seen embers, just flames, but not coming out. I will be careful.
    Still Learnin'
  • mkevenson
    Options
    Colts fan, Ah, now I understand!!!! Thanks
    Still Learnin'
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    mkevenson said:
    mkevenson said:

Nope, my idea. The top vent however is closed during the pizza cook, exhaust thru the pizza-porta. At high temps I have never seen embers, just flames, but not coming out. I will be careful.
    air flow is what creates high temps.

with the exhaust vents nearly closed, how would you *push* more air into the egg to raise temps?

the air will come straight back out the lower vent if it has nowhere to go.

• mkevenson
    Options
    Fishlessman, thanks for the tip, and pic. I will try to keep the dome from falling off.
    Still Learnin'
  • mkevenson
    Options
    Mattman, there are actually 2 daisy wheel vents on the Pizza-Porta, one on either side. The door can also remain open without much loss of heat. The top vent is not closed until the dome temp is near your baking temp. I close mine about 650 F and launch my pie at around 750-900 F. Plenty hot for a Neapolitan style pie.
    Still Learnin'
  • fishlessman
    Options
    was just on their site looking at how one of these works. my thoughts is to remove the top cap till the ceramics are up to the temp you want then set it up as they suggest. be careful though, ss has a habit of warping at high temps, i dont know if i would really want to push temps higher than recommended
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    675°, easily reached. Platesetter, legs down, pizza stone raised about 4" above PS (with air gap). Closest to Neapolitan I've been able to achieve. I'm far happier with my result than with the pics I've seen of the Pizza Porta pies.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mkevenson
    Options
    Carolina, Your pie looks very nice. I appreciate the care you took in opening your dough. The pics that you have seen of pies cooked with the PP attachment are unknown to me, but if substandard, might be the cook, not the cooker? I competed in BBQ comps for a couple years. It was very evident that there were cooks who had thousands of dollars in BBQ equipment who could not compare to some who had a couple hundred dollars of equipment. The point being it is the cook, not the cooker, in many cases. Over the years I have tried a lot of different BBQ accessories, some proved very valuable, some got stored in the garage. This is my 1st venture with a BGE, now about 5 months. Low and Slow, is a dream, high temp is more of a challenge and uses a lot of Lump. I have had a WFO and loved it but my new residence is more restrictive and my yard is smaller so I must rely on ONE cooker for my BBQ / pizza cooking needs.
    Thanks to all of the posters here and other forums, I continue to get better and am enjoying the journey very much!

Mark
    Still Learnin'
  • mkevenson
    Options
    I have a Digi Q 3 controller that I use for long, slow meat cooks. Thanks to pgprescott's suggestion, I used today for my pizza cook. Left the pit probe outside the BGE and the fan ran the whole cook and did not overheat. Temps achieved approaching 800F. RRP & Colts Fan, thanks for pointing out my dome misalignment. I adjusted and reset for a bit of under bite.
    Still Learnin'