Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meater Probe

Options
https://meater.com/ 

Any experience with these probes? Good or bade? I like the wireless feature, but don’t know the trade off if there is one.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have one and haven’t had any issues with it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I use mine all of the time and love it. I use it a lot for spatchcocked chicken, reverse sear steak, brisket, and pork butt.
    Pros:
    - Completely wireless, so no fuss like my other probes
    - Reads both ambient and internal in one unit
    - Can be set up to see temps anywhere you have an internet connection (need second iOS/Android device)
    - Can be used on a rotisserie, if you have one (which I don't)
    Cons:
    - Diameter is quite large
    - Probe MUST be inserted about 3 inches to protect internals of unit
    - Ambient sensor must be SHINY clean, or it won't charge for next use
    Definitely a cool tool (and toy).
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    jetman96 said:
    I use mine all of the time and love it. I use it a lot for spatchcocked chicken, reverse sear steak, brisket, and pork butt.
    Pros:
    - Completely wireless, so no fuss like my other probes
    - Reads both ambient and internal in one unit
    - Can be set up to see temps anywhere you have an internet connection (need second iOS/Android device)
    - Can be used on a rotisserie, if you have one (which I don't)
    Cons:
    - Diameter is quite large
    - Probe MUST be inserted about 3 inches to protect internals of unit
    - Ambient sensor must be SHINY clean, or it won't charge for next use
    Definitely a cool tool (and toy).
    Thanks .. extremely helpful 
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm planning on purchasing one in a few weeks, after UPS catch up from the holiday rush.  
    KitchenAid markets a similar product (Yummly), but it's Android-only.    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lentsboy007
    Options
    Got one for Christmas and used it for first time yesterday on a butt  . Easy to use and no problems . It was nice not dealing with wires . Scrubbing it clean was no problem.  

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I think battery life is a con as well.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Do you mean that you can’t do long cooks, or that the entire unit fails after a short while ? 

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I mainly use my Thermoworks Smoke, Thermapen and Chef Alarm for most of my cooks. However with that being said the MEATER+ is my go to for rotisserie and for Sous Vide cooking. Just put the MEATER into the meat and let it either spin away or be sealed in a vac bag while using your sour vide. If you have no interest in rotisserie or Sous Vide then I would suggest looking at the different Thermoworks products.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Do you mean that you can’t do long cooks, or that the entire unit fails after a short while ? 
    The probes battery life is about 3 hours so if one wants to monitor long cooks then multiple probes would be needed. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The probes battery life is about 3 hours so if one wants to monitor long cooks then multiple probes would be needed. 
    Never experienced this. I have used one for 15 hours or so without issue. I am over three hours into a cook right now and battery is still 100%. 

I love mine. 
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Never experienced this. I have used one for 15 hours or so without issue. I am over three hours into a cook right now and battery is still 100%. 

I love mine. 
    Yeah I just did a 6.5 hour cook this weekend . My step dad uses his for long cooks regularly . Must be a dud that you got ahold of . 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Try cleaning the top, shinny part or probe real well with a non abrasive product.
    If it’s not real clean, it doesn’t charge properly.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Interesting product, I’ve seen it here a couple of years ago but figured it was an April fool or something like that.  How can the battery sustain the heat?  Isolation or special material?

Its amazing we love it. As for sustaining the heat the max temp of 527 degrees Fahrenheit so I don't use it when searing. I also had long cooks with no battery issues. Steaks come out perfect and its great for rotisserie chicken.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    paqman said:
    Interesting product, I’ve seen it here a couple of years ago but figured it was an April fool or something like that.  How can the battery sustain the heat?  Isolation or special material?

Chemistry, physics, engineering and their step-child, material science. 

These lithium chemistry batteries are designed to be autoclaved and are good up to 125C.

edited January 2021
    Options
    Battery on mine lasts well over 12 hours as well. I think it's a great product, does everything it says it does. I've had mine for years and it's still going.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Brilliant, really, using meat as a cooling sink.  You really would have to overcook it to get the meater hotter than 100C 
    Options
    One thing I learned early on is that in order to successfully charge the battery the thing must be clean. Smoke leaves an almost invisible residue on the contact at the end which can interfere. Just wipe it down carefully after the cook and give the end of it a very gentle scraping with the blade of a knife and it will charge perfectly. No issues with length of cook in my experience.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Brilliant, really, using meat as a cooling sink.  You really would have to overcook it to get the meater hotter than 100C 
    So the battery is buried in the meat?  So I guess that the exposed metal is really just an antenna.  Clever way f that is the case.

Options
    paqman said:
    So the battery is buried in the meat?  So I guess that the exposed metal is really just an antenna.  Clever way f that is the case.
    I don't have one, but if I were designing it, I would do so where there's some kind of insulation between the battery and especially the metal that sticks out.  Either way, the tip where I'm guessing the themoprobe/couple is located shouldn't be influenced by the outside heat to get an accurate temp.