Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Duck

Options
My fiancée and I received a bunch of frozen duck products from Maple Leaf Farms in Northern Indiana. One of the things we were fortunate enough to score was a whole duck, so I finally decided to pull it out of the freezer and thawed it in the fridge for a couple of days. I loosely followed Malcom Reed's YouTube video on "How To Smoke a Whole Duck." I overnight (15+ hours) dry-brined the bird in kosher salt after scoring the flesh with my meat thermometer.

On Saturday morning, I pulled it out of the fridge and wiped it down with paper towels. I stuffed it with orange wedges and two halves of an onion and seasoned it with WING-A-LING's Duck Duck Goose dry rub. I ended up with way more leftover orange wedges than I imagined, but whatever.

While the bird came to room temp., I preheated my BGE and then brought the dome temp. to 325°F with an indirect setup, using a drip pan full of about three cups of water. I stuck my probe in one of the breasts and set my thermometer to 155°F target temp.

While waiting, I made Reed's glaze (orange juice, balsamic, molasses, honey, s&p, orange zest) and put it in the fridge. After about three and a half hours-ish, she was at 155°F internal (breast meat), so I opened the egg and brushed on the glaze. At this point, the bird was looking pretty good and smelled even better.

After adding the glaze, I let her ride for almost another 50 minutes, until the internal temp. of the breast hit 164°F.

Then, I pulled the duck off the egg and let it rest for 15 minutes on a wooden cutting board in my kitchen.

Before carving, I removed the orange wedges and onion halves. It smelled incredible and was very moist! Very much enjoyed the smoky flavor and would highly recommend this to anyone for a holiday meal, as it seemed to me like a more succulent turkey, although with much less meat.

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments