Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog Tennessee Red changed?

Options
Went to the store today for some Tennessee Red sauce and notice the label was different. New version has about twice the sugar, and now 60 calories per 30 ml compared to the 35 calories it was. I just bought the last jar of the old version on the shelf, and wondered if anyone had tried the new one yet? Seems odd that they would change the ingredients on a popular item like that.
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Oh boy - I hate to hear that! BHTR is my all time favorite commercially made sauce. I personally can’t stand that sickly sweet sauce mostly found. But neither do I like vinegar based sauces. 
    Guess somebody at BH corporate never heard of how CocaCola blew it with that crappy New Coke years back!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I say spend $10 if you have the access to both and do a taste test.
    Maybe they just got caught under labeling the actual sugar in the original.
    Since you are familiar with brand, open the wallet back up and let us know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2020
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh boy - I hate to hear that! BHTR is my all time favorite commercially made sauce. I personally can’t stand that sickly sweet sauce mostly found. But neither do I like vinegar based sauces. 
    Guess somebody at BH corporate never heard of how CocaCola blew it with that crappy New Coke years back!
    Ron, If you like the original thick BH sauce, check out Sticky Pig.  As I understand the lore, that was the original recipe from the restaurant in Perry, MO.....one side took the name, one side took the recipe?  Something like that.  They don't have a thin sauce, but the jalapeno sauce is great!  If there are Schnucks stores up by you, they can probably get it for you.....it's stocked everywhere in STL.  https://stickypigbbq.com/
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    RRP said:
    Ron, If you like the original thick BH sauce, check out Sticky Pig.  As I understand the lore, that was the original recipe from the restaurant in Perry, MO.....one side took the name, one side took the recipe?  Something like that.  They don't have a thin sauce, but the jalapeno sauce is great!  If there are Schnucks stores up by you, they can probably get it for you.....it's stocked everywhere in STL.  https://stickypigbbq.com/
    Did you ever get to their small BBQ restaurant in Perry? Been closed for a while
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    This is SO FUNNY! For YEARS now I was the guy who advanced Sticky Pig and explaining how the two guys were on the BBQ circuit together and then split up. I have even posted pictures of the restaurant in Perry, MO where we visited as well as the IGA store there in Perry where I bought a bunch of sauce.

Furthermore the original home base of Sticky Pig was in Centralia, MO just a MERE block from where I grew up!

Even more than that I have Sticky Pig hats and t-shirts and even MORE than that the "Mrs" at Sticky Pig recently sent me pictures of a popular made made recreational lake where as a kid of 12 or 13 years old I worked spreading grass seed, straw and planted pine and fir tree seedlings! Trust me...seeing pictures of thousands of trees I helped plant 64 years ago was a major satisfaction rush!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @OhioEgger i just got a shipment in from Blues Hog this week (left) and this is an old jar from late last year (right)

interested to see the difference in what you picked up. 

I haven’t tasted the new batch yet. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• OhioEgger
    Options
    @OhioEgger i just got a shipment in from Blues Hog this week (left) and this is an old jar from late last year (right)

interested to see the difference in what you picked up. 

I haven’t tasted the new batch yet. 
    Those labels are the old style. The new one is changed:

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    Options
    Hmmmm, looks like they may have just upped the sugar content to match their other sauces. I just checked my pantry and found these unopened jars:
    old style label original recipe 80 calories
    new style original recipe 90 calories
    smokey mountain 80 calories

Just the same I’m going shopping today for some old style TN Red!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @OhioEgger must mean they are clearing inventory in their big bottles right now. Might be a good time to stock up. I love the fact it’s low in sugar for high temp foods. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just shopped my usual supplier and perhaps someone beat me there - but, I kinda doubt it. They had 47 jars on the shelf - YES, I counted them! - of the new higher sugar BHTR. Oooops - now 46 jars - I figured since I had no BHTR in my pantry I better get some while I was there!