Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Big Texas Cat

Options

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• CornfedMA
    Options
    I’ve heard mountain lion meat described as tasting very similar to pork, but better. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @CornfedMA I'm really hoping it just disappears. And quits getting seen by humans. People are going to freak out and kill it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Those things scare me more than the barfly cougars here in Orange County. A guy was killed by one when he was fixing his bike chain on a trail near me back in 2004. The lion stashed his body off the trail then attacked two women who rode by after and nearly killed one of them. 

They are awesome creatures but when I’m out in the local mountains alone I get spooked when I hear things off trail. Guys were even putting stickers of eyes on the backs of their helmets after Mark’s death. The odds of getting attacked are extremely low but it still gets in your head. 

If you see it first then you are most likely ok because it probably wasn’t stalking you.. if one pounces on you, good luck. You won’t know it’s there until it’s on top of you. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    From wiki:

A total of 125 attacks, 27 of which are fatal, have been documented in North America in the past 100 years. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings. Children are particularly vulnerable.

Options
    From wiki:

A total of 125 attacks, 27 of which are fatal, have been documented in North America in the past 100 years. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings. Children are particularly vulnerable.

well, everybody says more people die of catching the flu or catching obesity.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    I’ve heard mountain lion meat described as tasting very similar to pork, but better. 

(insert joke here about eating pu$$y) B)
    Options
    From wiki:

I always remind myself that I have much higher odds of dying in a car accident on the way to the wilderness than getting attacked by a mountain lion. Heck, I’m more likely to be attacked by a human while in the wilderness. People scare me more than anything.
  • texaswig
    Options
    The bad part about this cat is its in a pretty populated area. So that is not scared of humans. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    There was a viral video released from a guy jogging that was attacked that has the collective conscious worrying about mountain lions disproportionately to the statistical risk.

Same thing happens all the time with anything sensational and newsworthy.  Bears, for example rarely attack.  There have been 4 in the US in 2020. 

While there are many ways to get maimed or killed, mitigation is always smart when you're in a high risk environment.  Know how to act and, if recommended, carry bear spray.
    Options
    If you survive an attack, you can always work the talk-show circuit and make some cash.  There's a positive side to *almost* anything, see?
    Options
    Check out this video of one following a guy down a dirt road for 6 minutes in Utah.  Holy crap.  We have them here in Missouri, plenty of game cam footage.  Bobcats too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pg2CDCm34w
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Funny you posted this. We received a text yesterday from one of our neighbors claiming “several” neighbors have seen what appears to be a cougar (the four legged kind) on separate occasions in different places. It’s possible but I’m leaning towards bobcat. Their population is making a strong come back in central IL. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Check out this video of one following a guy down a dirt road for 6 minutes in Utah.  Holy crap.  We have them here in Missouri, plenty of game cam footage.  Bobcats too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pg2CDCm34w
    That's exactly the video I was referring to.

Options
    Funny you posted this. We received a text yesterday from one of our neighbors claiming “several” neighbors have seen what appears to be a cougar (the four legged kind) on separate occasions in different places. It’s possible but I’m leaning towards bobcat. Their population is making a strong come back in central IL. 
    ..as opposed to the two-legged kind but on all fours...

(troll...troll...troll...) ;)

Options
    ..as opposed to the two-legged kind but on all fours...

(troll...troll...troll...) ;)

Brown chicken brown cowwwww
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Two weeks ago I was awakened by a bobcat's scream/call outside my window. Eerie how human-like it sounded. Like a child crying/screaming.  It was in a very rural area, so no actual child screaming at 430am.

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @JethroVA that'll wake you up all right. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I used to work in Boulder at an office near the Boulder Creek path.  At lunch I would go jogging on the trail and usually headed west into the foothills.  I went early one morning and ran into some heavy fog where the path winds through the foothills.  I was thinking to myself - I hope there aren't any mountain lions around!  About 100 yards later I came across a deer head left on the trail.  The body was gone!  I decided tht it was time to head back to the office.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We’ve had several mnt. Lions up here in N Illinois. DNR guy shot one a few years back as it was terrorizing a local farm. Sad situation and it stirred up quite a bit of trouble for the guy for a while. I’m not sure he really had a choice in the end. 

About a year later my uncle looked out his back window and shook his head. He thought his meds were f’d up as he was watching a 3’ tall cat walk across his back yard at the tree line. Nope he was seeing just fine. We have several sightings every year around here. Speculation is they were seeded in the area for some reason. IDK? 
  • texaswig
    Options
    someone posted these on facebook.2 different cats 15 miles apart.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    texaswig said:
    someone posted these on facebook.2 different cats 15 miles apart.
    Curious what the story is behind them shooting these is. My guess is they were not afraid of humans and getting a little too close to condensed population areas. Unless they are attacking livestock or getting too close to people they are usually just left alone. 
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    We had a young one in our backyard about a year ago. We have seen plenty of bobcats, what we saw that day was no bobcat. My wife caught a glimpse of something moving just beyond our wrought iron fence, we got up to look and saw it jump up on and over our fence and onto our fireplace to take a nap. We were so overwhelmed we didn’t think to take pictures. They keep trying to tell us that they are not in North Texas but we know what we saw... 

Why I think it was young is that it was not as large as the one above but it was much bigger than any bobcat I have seen. Also I have never seen a bobcat with a tail like that, theirs are usually short and narrow.

Not long after that our neighbor confirmed that many homeowners in this area had spotted it also.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Cornholio I'm not sure what the story is. If I hear anything I'll give a update. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Those things scare me more than the barfly cougars here in Orange County. A guy was killed by one when he was fixing his bike chain on a trail near me back in 2004. The lion stashed his body off the trail then attacked two women who rode by after and nearly killed one of them. 

They are awesome creatures but when I’m out in the local mountains alone I get spooked when I hear things off trail. Guys were even putting stickers of eyes on the backs of their helmets after Mark’s death. The odds of getting attacked are extremely low but it still gets in your head. 

If you see it first then you are most likely ok because it probably wasn’t stalking you.. if one pounces on you, good luck. You won’t know it’s there until it’s on top of you. 

One night on a MB ride, I watched a guy in front of me take a direct broadside hit from a 10 pointer. We had to carry him out. Critters in the woods are real.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Avoid the satanic Woodland Critters....
    South Park The Fractured But Whole - Woodland Critters Boss Fight 43 -  YouTube
    6 Woodland Critter Christmas S8E14  Woodland critter christmas Woodland  critters Christmas ornaments

Options
    Saw one, what we call a Florida panther, while out hiking the Florida trail alone last year.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    When I was in my twenties, a cougar got her claws into me.  Now that I am 72, I don't get a second look.  Sucks...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • texaswig
    Options

scott 
    Greenville Tx