Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Live in the boonies and need internet access...?

Options
HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,346
Then Starlink may be just what you are looking for.
Starlink has been offering beta service in a few locations for a couple of weeks and actual user experiences are starting to show up. At the moment you need to live either in Canada or the northern tier of US states to sign up.
The cost is $499US for the hardware and service is $99US (not sure if Canada is the same). I've heard conflicting info as to how much bandwidth is available per month - some say unlimited, some say 150Gb.
I'm on Verizon FIOS and with their base service I can usually get 70/70Mbps which is more than adequate for my needs. I was quite surprised to see that via Starlink, customers seem to be getting download speeds of 100-150Mbps. I did not realize that service was going to be potentially so fast. Time will tell tho as more customers connect how that impacts individual speeds.
I recall from past threads that some of you live in the sticks and have no service or just have crappy DSL. If that is you then I'm thinking you're going to want to check out Starlink.
There are many out there but here is just one link to a vid that shows the gear and setup:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• OhioEgger
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The cost is $499US for the hardware and service is $99US (not sure if Canada is the same). 
    I read elsewhere that in Canada it's C$650 for the dish and C$130/month for the service. So roughly equivalent. Good reviews so far as well.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Thank you, I will check it out.  I currently pay $120/month and struggle to get 15/5.  I might be out since I am in the Southwest though.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Just signed up for information.  Hope I can get it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    As a last resort.  You can look at satellite internet.  Hughesnet has a small business plan thats 25mbs that averages 38mbs.  Its $69.99 plus taxes.  Average in ohio is $88 $89 a month.  $129 down to order it.  Let me know if i can help.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    As a last resort.  You can look at satellite internet.  Hughesnet has a small business plan thats 25mbs that averages 38mbs.  Its $69.99 plus taxes.  Average in ohio is $88 $89 a month.  $129 down to order it.  Let me know if i can help.  
    Is there data caps?  We currently use a combination of phones and the long range wifi from our ISP.  We use about 60Gb of hotspot data throughout the month for important stuff, and ISP for regular stuff.  Last month all hotspot data was used up in first 4 days.

If there is no data cap I will check them out.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    It'll be a godsend for me if it pans out. I'm currently paying $90/month for LTE internet that averages 10/17mbps down right now. It's good enough to stream netflix in 4k so I'm happy, but it's still relatively slow. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    there is data cap on hughes
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    I'm signed up to be a beta tester in my area when it's offered. There will be some bugs to work out in the beginning.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    we have been happy with att Fixed Wireless I just ran a test 36/17 $59.00 a month
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    I'd be interested to know if it's stable.  I have 10mbs (on a good day) DSL service but it drops randomly.  I wind up using a wireless hotspot when I work from home so I don't repeatedly disconnect.  
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    edited November 2020
    Options
    there is data cap on hughes
    With Hughes you also wouldn't be able to do much online gaming as the latency/lag is way too high.
    You could probably play chess ok tho.  :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    we have been happy with att Fixed Wireless I just ran a test 36/17 $59.00 a month
    Comcast, AT&T, Xfinity, CenturyLink, Cox, etc do not provide internet to my house.  You would think I lived in the middle of no where, but I have major neighborhoods being built all around me.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I have a lake cabin that has ADSL, averages about 5MBps (bytes).  We had hughesnet, and that was worse.  I've been waiting for starlink, it will be a game changer in connectivity for rural communities.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Comcast, AT&T, Xfinity, CenturyLink, Cox, etc do not provide internet to my house.  You would think I lived in the middle of no where, but I have major neighborhoods being built all around me.

make sure you tag in when they are running utilities to the new neighborhoods. I would love to have Highspeed net and natural gas
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2020
    Options

make sure you tag in when they are running utilities to the new neighborhoods. I would love to have Highspeed net and natural gas
    I would too!  Luckily we do not use much propane here, maybe 1500 gallons a year, but natural gas would be a lot cheaper.  I will see if I can find someone to call about tapping in to the network.