Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem with Foodsaver sealer

Options
I have a Foodsaver like this one, https://www.foodsaver.com/food-vacuum-sealers/countertop-vacuum-sealers/foodsaver-2-in-1-automatic-vacuum-sealing-system-with-starter-kit-v4440-black-finish/SAP_FSFSSL4440000.html

We do not use this every week and when we go to do so, the bags will not trigger the initial sealing function. I literally insert the edge 30-40 times before it goes, then it works every time after that for the session. I have recut the edge, flipped it over, opened the small drawer on the front edge and it is sparkling clean but I have cleaned it anyway. It does this every damn time on the initial seal.  I don't know what triggers the sealing function but I suspect the bag being pushed in moves a flap to engage the sealing but I do not know how to get to it. 

Does anyone know anything about these or had this happen to them?
--
Jeff
Near Twin Cities, MN
Large BGE

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Had no idea there was Auto Detection of a bag.  
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    On my machine, you press "seal", insert the bag and it takes off or is supposed to, the same for after you put your meat into the bag and do the finish vacuum and seal. Stick the bag in and it goes automatically.
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Seems like a poor connection issue. You are probable going to have to live with it, replace it or just slowly pull it apart until you find the connection switch issue. 
    I would pull it apart at the kitchen table.  When I could not find the issue, I would keep acting frustrated until someone suggested we buy a new one...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Seems like a poor connection issue. You are probable going to have to live with it, replace it or just slowly pull it apart until you find the connection switch issue. 
    I would pull it apart at the kitchen table.  When I could not find the issue, I would keep acting frustrated until someone suggested we buy a new one...
    I like your thinking!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks very similar to my foodsaver, but I have not experienced that issue. Hope you get it figured out.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's either a mechanical switch or a optical or proximity sensor.  Take apart, squirt some DeOxIt on any connections.  Clean any sensors. 

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Options
    I have this one purchased from Costco. It has a five year warranty. It's my second.  Had the first for several years and had a sealing problem.  I couldn't find my receipt so I called Costco to see if they could help me with the purchase date. With no hesitation, the CSR told me just to take it back to Costco. I did, and again with no questions asked, I had a refund and went and purchased a new one, which had a few more features. 

We use it regularly and it's a good product.  If you buy a new one, I'd certainly recommend getting it from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/foodsaver-multi-use-vacuum-sealing-and-food-preservation-system.product.100648022.html

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Webass said:
    I have this one purchased from Costco. It has a five year warranty. It's my second.  Had the first for several years and had a sealing problem.  I couldn't find my receipt so I called Costco to see if they could help me with the purchase date. With no hesitation, the CSR told me just to take it back to Costco. I did, and again with no questions asked, I had a refund and went and purchased a new one, which had a few more features. 

We use it regularly and it's a good product.  If you buy a new one, I'd certainly recommend getting it from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/foodsaver-multi-use-vacuum-sealing-and-food-preservation-system.product.100648022.html

I just bought that exact one over the summer when it was on sale, upgrading from a basic one that was starting to give me trouble.   This unit is a nice upgrade from what I had but I only use the thing 5x a month anyway.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Guess I will have to take it apart then. *groan*  
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    MN-Egger said: