Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please help me!!!My brother flew in to illinois from dallas
and i want to show him what REAL EGG Brisket is all about.
just ready to put on, Question?? Fat cap up or down??
Going for 185 internal at 250 degrees this sound ok,
Any other help is appreciated

Thanks MadMax

Comments

• madmax357,one more question, Im using drip pan,water or dry?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    madmax357, fat cap up..rub applied real well, your temp targets look good...Good luck..you will be fine. Look for about 1.5 to 1.75 hours per lb. of brisket..it do vary according to the chunk.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    madmax357, Also Drip pan is fine..add some water just to keep a higher moisture in the dome. I use a raised second grill over a drip pan. Keeping the dome temps down under 250 untill the meat reaches 160..then if your desperate for time you can foil wrap and finish quicker..but best if you ring the entire cook without opening the dome. Use a polder if you have one..otherwise..check it about the time weight measurement I gave you below..others may have some suggestions also..Looks like time is important tho.
    Good luck.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, Thanks for the quick help Im puttin it on,
    Water in the pan untill i hear otherwise
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MadMax

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    madmax357,
    I agree with CW on everything. The times are hard to predict with briskets though. If you go with 250, and water in the drip pan, I say you are lookin at 2 hours plus/pound...but a lot depends on the thickness of your brisket, and how much connective tissue there is.[p]I started out always using water in the pan, but now I find that a dry drip pan gives similar results in the final product, and doesn't lower the temp of your cooking level like water does. The water in your pan will stay around 212 and won't get any hotter....so it slows your cook, and doesn't really seem to aid in moistness of the meat. Least that is what I have found.[p]Enjoy it. It is my favorite meal to cook.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    madmax357, the cup or two of water also helps keep the drippings from charring up in the pan. Sometimes that can give you a small amount of acrid smoke you don't really need.
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]My experience with water in the drip pan is that it initially seems to allow the Egg to settle quickly into an even cooking temp. As the water evaporates, the cooking temp slowly rises.[p]I have found it easier to not use the water and cannot report any real advantage to its use.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Spin,[p]All of my indirect cooks are with a simple throw away pan or with a "pan" fashioned out of tin foil. I've stopped adding liquied to these pans since I've never really noticed an advantage to doing so. Not saying my way is the only correct way, just reporting what's worked for me. Also, it happens to be very simple to do things this way, and that's a nice thing, too.[p]Heee,
    Cornfed

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    madmax357,
    Still trying to understand the advantage of using a water pan in the egg. Just got rid of a water pan smoker to make room for the egg.
    As to fat side up or down. I've always gone with fat side up to allow any fat to run down/thru the meat.

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]If you eliminate the water in the drip pan, do you then lower the temperature? or stick with the 250 degrees? Thanks.