Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When’s this egg from?

This egg’s for sale a state over from me. How olds this sucker look to be?

Comments

• brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Funky looking hinge, and clean non-painted parts on the bands... for its age, you'd think you would see more rust.

Hasn't even bent the band bolts yet!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2020
    That is the old style band with the lever that you had to push down on in order to unlock it. If you didn't do it correctly then your band would bend and the dome might fall out and break. That band is at least 20 years old! 

And then that old style black painted bottom vent is even more of an age give away!

Not sure what they are asking, but I would be very careful...I mean VERY CAREFUL  as the upgrades PLUS having no warranty will be costly!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • early nineties based on the black vent
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    early nineties based on the black vent
    Yea, I was going to say at least 25 years old.
    looks to be in great shape.
    people cooked with this band style for longer than we have had the new style.
    If it’s a good price, I would buy it.
    Maybe upgrade bands in 10 years when it’s needed. But I would definitely oil the pivot points before you start working with it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    spring hinge came in 2001, so im thinking a few years older. the first spring bands were made in mexico and had that same welded on handle. newer spring bands were usa and the handles were bolted on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    edited November 2020
    I agree with @Photo Egg on age. But I think the owner upgraded the hinge from the old style bayonet hinge/bands to the ones shown in the picture.
    As @RRP said band is a bit sketchy and I still have one on my oldest LBGE. I will say that is the first run on that style hinge though. As RRP said folks were forgetting to unlock dome with lever. So on later models of that hinge the unlocking lever had a yellow rubber boot over the lever. Still really did not save many domes do to the uninformed.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My dad has the same band on his. Never has been an issue as long as he's owned it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    6baluts said:
    I agree with @Photo Egg on age. But I think the owner upgraded the hinge from the old style bayonet hinge/bands to the ones shown in the picture.
    As @RRP said band is a bit sketchy and I still have one on my oldest LBGE. I will say that is the first run on that style hinge though. As RRP said folks were forgetting to unlock dome with lever. So on later models of that hinge the unlocking lever had a yellow rubber boot over the lever. Still really did not save many domes do to the uninformed.
    My medium that I bought in 2001 still has that band and yes, my handle has that yellow plastic boot. This is my baking egg, so I'm the only one who ever even touches it...meaning no snoopy, klutzy friends go lifting to sneak a look!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    @RRP I hear you on limiting access to that BGE. My wife uses the other L/M or SBGE's. My daughter is the only other person who gets to futz with with that gen 2 band when she visits. My Kikuya still has the old bayonet band.
  • I have the same BGE with that band and bottom vent, and I bought it in 1996. However mine has a seam in the ceramic on both sides, and I can't tell from these pics if there is a seam.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini