Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: TV selection help

Options
Narrowed down between Sony, Samsung or LG.
55-60"
Don't know the differences /benefits of LED , OLED, HDR...
I don't watch alot of TV per say ..but mainly watch action and sci fy films..wanting the movie theater experience. Only gaming I'm going to do is with my soon to be delivered atari relaunch....

Budget top end is 2k absolute max.
Thanks

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    55-60"
    I don't watch alot of TV per say ..but mainly watch action and sci fy films..wanting the movie theater experience. Only gaming I'm going to do is with my soon to be delivered atari relaunch....

Thanks
    If you can go bigger, I would.  This TV os fantastic.  I am a stickler for color accuracy and picture fidelity.  This particular set has really impressed me.  I have the 75in version which has better built-in speakers.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-65"-class---q8dt-series---4k-uhd-qled-lcd-tv---squaretrade-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100591648.html
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I would avoid OLED right now, price/performance/panel life just isn't there yet.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love the TCL 4K TVs with Roku built-in.  I have 3 of them.  Never had a problem.  50 to 55 inch run between $280 and $350.  They are bulletproof.  Save your money for some shop tools or something.

OLED is the best picture, but they cost around 4 or 5 times an LED.  Some of the worst reliability is with the fancy brand names.  

Anyway, the TCL is solid.  Buy it and you will be very happy.  If you don't like it I'll buy it from you for cost.  I have 8 TVs but could always use a spare.
    Options
    (I have a TCL as a monitor at my office and home office also)
    Options

Anyway, the TCL is solid.  Buy it and you will be very happy.  If you don't like it I'll buy it from you for cost.  I have 8 TVs but could always use a spare.
    There's a hell of a built in warranty. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    I love the TCL 4K TVs with Roku built-in.  I have 3 of them.  Never had a problem.  50 to 55 inch run between $280 and $350.  They are bulletproof.  Save your money for some shop tools or something.

OLED is the best picture, but they cost around 4 or 5 times an LED.  Some of the worst reliability is with the fancy brand names.  

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2020
    Options
    TCLs are great for the price, but are a bit of a panel lottery for uniformity issues.  Buy from somewhere you can exchange if you have issues.  Admittedly 90% of people would never notice.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I could write a TL;DR explanation of screen technology, manufacturers, electronics, etc.  Suffice it to say, there are many manufacturer brands but they mostly use just a few companies display screens.

The most popular TV is an LCD (liquid crystal display) with LED (light emitting diode) illumination.  It's the best quality for the money.  The off brands like TCL (which is becoming a major brand) use some of the same screens that go in TVs costing much, much more.  The only difference other than the lighting (LED side light and/or back light, CCFT (mostly obsolete because they are inefficient and complex), plasma (mostly obsolete for the same reason)), is the QC (quality control).  The opposite ends of the QC spectrum are "best" and "fail".  Then the in-between tiers.  What ranks them might just be more than x pixels out of spec, but no more than y or some color/intensity/electronic criteria.  I've never noticed the QC difference in the non-best tiers. 

Anyway, I can guarantee you won't notice (see above). 

If you have the space, I would go with Ozzie's advice and get a 65".  If you do, you will be super happy you didn't get a 55".  If you get the 55", you just won't know what you're missing.
    Options
    RTINGS is my go to for display research. Check it out
    https://www.rtings.com/tv
    I just bought a a Samsung series 8 for my office. We have a Sony X950 in the family room. Happy with both
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options

Have 3 of these also. Like them much better than my two other much more expensive Samsungs. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options

This ^^^^, we bought a TCL for our vacation home (series6) and it is superb. Having the roku interface built in is a big bonus!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've never even heard of TCL before now
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Another one for TCL, paid $1,600cdn for a 75" series 6 and love it. Cant wait to see how the ps5 looks on it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I just bought an LG at Costco and it’s great. For 2k I would get the 65” OLED at Costco. It’s hands down the best tv I looked at and I compared at least 10 TVs. Nola has a point that you could get a lot cheaper really good TV nowadays but man o man that LG looked amazing at Costco.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,512
    Options
    Three points:
    1.  My eyes can only see the HDR difference only from about 8" away from the screen; the OLED difference I can see across the store.
    2.  I was down to a Samsung and an LG, when I noted the Sammie had a glossy screen, while the LG was matte; in my living room, not having window reflections was quite important.
    3.  I bought that LG, had local dimming but was not OLED; that was ten years ago, and I still have no plans on replacing it (it'll be an LG OLED if/when I do).  

Hello Darkness, my old Friend,

I stood up too fast again...

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    We have a 55 inch Sony “smart” tv that we like except that it’s not overly smart, it only has like 4 pre loaded apps and you can’t add any more which sucks. We just bought a roku for it so other than that drawback it has been great for the past 2 years. No experience with the TCL TVs but I looks like they get really good reviews and have good features, I would buy one.
    LBGE
    AL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    poster said:
    Another one for TCL, paid $1,600cdn for a 75" series 6 and love it. Cant wait to see how the ps5 looks on it

I like Samsung, generally, but quoted this for the PS5.  I have one coming on release day.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,784
    Options
    I have a LG OLED indoors....its far superior to my Samsung's " sometimes " IE when it's pitch black...outdoors I have this set up I saw here , forgot who posted the stand, but I love it combined with a cheap 55 Samsung,

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    A few months ago I decided to replace my aging Panasonic plasma 55 inch.
    The Panasonic plasma served me fairly well, but it suffered with screen reflections and low brightness.
    As a general rule, LED LCD type screens are brighter and have less screen reflections than OLED screens do. Initially I was determined to buy a OLED tv, but after careful considerations of my viewing room and the shortcomings of the plasma screen with regards to reflections and brightness, I finally determined that a tv with higher brightness and lower reflection issues would work better for me, not to mention the potential for screen burn in with an OLED. I chose to go with last years Samsung Q90R in 65 inch size.

The Q90 has completely eliminated the issues I was having with screen brightness and reflections. It is true that an OLED tv will have slightly better picture quality and accuracy as well as excellent black levels, but the OLED also comes with significant risk of screen burn in. The risk of burn in and the superior screen brightness is what finally steered me to the Q90R.

As of now, I'm 100% happy with the Q90R and would buy it again with hesitation. With that being said,  Samsung has saw fit to gimp the 2020 models of their tv's in order to push the consumer into their premium 8k models. There is nothing wrong with the 8k sets, other than their cost, and lack of availability of 8k content. 4k is hard enough to find currently and I believe it will be years before 8k becomes commonplace.

In the end, everyone has to evaluate for themselves what features are important to their specific viewing situation, In a dark viewing room an OLED is absolutely stunning.  
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I researched the hell out of these a year ago.  The LG OLED is the way to go.  I went with the 65 inch and added a Bose 700 sound bar.  Great combination.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:

I like Samsung, generally, but quoted this for the PS5.  I have one coming on release day.
    Same here, well hopefully. Some people have gotten the sorry but your not actually getting one letters. I got lucky and just happened to walk in to a store while somebody cancelled their pre-order and i scooped it up. I refreshed my screen with Best Buy, GameStop, and Walmart every minute earlier in the day and failed. I had one in my cart, but PayPal timed out 3 or 4 times, then i got the sold out message. Stopped in at a local store and over heard one of the workers canceling a previous order while another worker told me that if i had an interest to say something now or else it was gonna be gone, so i did. Its a Christmas gift for my daughter...well both of us i guess.

Also most current sources don't even broadcast 4k, so what you see displayed in the store will rarely be what you see at home. Sometimes whoever has the best upscaling software will have the best picture. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    I have a size constraint due to the built-ins that hold my TV.  The largest I could fit was 50”, so I ended up with a 49” Samsung Q7D bought about a year ago for ~$800 and I’ve been very happy.  I was concerned about stepping down from a larger HD, but this is 4K UHD QLED (no idea what all of that means) and it has been a huge step up in picture, the downsize hasn’t been a problem.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    poster said:
    buzd504 said:
    poster said:

Same here, well hopefully. Some people have gotten the sorry but your not actually getting one letters. I got lucky and just happened to walk in to a store while somebody cancelled their pre-order and i scooped it up. I refreshed my screen with Best Buy, GameStop, and Walmart every minute earlier in the day and failed. I had one in my cart, but PayPal timed out 3 or 4 times, then i got the sold out message. Stopped in at a local store and over heard one of the workers canceling a previous order while another worker told me that if i had an interest to say something now or else it was gonna be gone, so i did. Its a Christmas gift for my daughter...well both of us i guess.

Also most current sources don't even broadcast 4k, so what you see displayed in the store will rarely be what you see at home. Sometimes whoever has the best upscaling software will have the best picture. 

Yeah, I caught a leaked preorder link for Amazon on release day that happened to work.  It was sold out a couple of minutes later.  I've had good luck with Amazon preorders.

Agree with you about the 4k content.  Most of what we get in 4k is streaming (upgraded Netflix account and Amazon) and occasionally PPV or certain events on DTV.  It's nice when it's there, though.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i went with a 60 inch sharp about ten years ago, not so much for pic quality but because the screen was not shiny. to much reflected light off the lake, the house is maybe 5 feet to the lake and the whole room shimmers with light reflected off the water. after a week or two watching i dont think the pic quality is noticeable.  they screw with the screens in the stores to get you to buy the one they want to sell
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    55-60"

Thanks
    If you can go bigger, I would.  This TV os fantastic.  I am a stickler for color accuracy and picture fidelity.  This particular set has really impressed me.  I have the 75in version which has better built-in speakers.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-65"-class---q8dt-series---4k-uhd-qled-lcd-tv---squaretrade-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100591648.html
    I have the 75" version of this, and it is FANTASTIC. I also have Sony and LG in the house. I paid $1600 for my 75"!

To answer OP's questions ... the difference between LED and OLED is both the resolution and also the phantom trails. Once you get into 75" territory, going 4k is a big plus on resolution. 65" it's break even, and below that, you'd hardly notice the difference between 1080P and 4k ... yes, there is a difference, but not really worth it to write about.

In terms of phantom trails, this is related to how fast the pixels change colors, as the scene changes ... if they are slow, you see this shadow (or lag) behind moving options ... basically the pixels are not keeping up with the frame change rate.  In the end, to an untrained eye, you'd only notice it if someone told you (like now) or if you saw the picture side by side with one that does it and another that doesn't ... and then you'd say, oh wow, that image is way sharper! YES it is!

I agree with Ozzie ... go bigger, at least 65". For $2k, you can even get yourself an 85" if you look, that's plenty of budget!

The other thing about this TV that Ozzie posted is that it has a lot of nice features. The sound quality is okay enough that if you're not looking for a sound bar or surround sound, you don't really need one. Other brands have been too low volume, and you can hardly hear anything. 

The other good feature is the remote is truly smart, it learns what devices you have plugged in, and it automatically programs the Samsung remote to work with those devices, so you'll have everything on the one device.

Also, it has a great user interface, with quick launch to Netflix and Amazon Prime, as well as a quick launch section to get back to cable TV or any device connected ... it just works really, really good.

Good luck!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    it's nice to compare similar models side by side.  they crank up the brightness and saturation so much in showrooms, and that stuff typically looks really good.  but in a dim room, with dark scenes (think ad astra), the shortcomings will be more noticeable.  the fancier sets can turn off lighting at every pixel, the cheaper sets light everything from the edge.  

i'm also shopping for a new TV.  what I really want is an 85" OLED.  but I felt like the real value is in the lower price stuff, and I'm planning to go with the lowest end Sony.  I'll spring for the giant OLED in 5 years when the price is half as much and the size is even bigger.  

Can't wait to hook up a retropi to an 85" TV and play super mario brothers, contra, and elevator action.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle