Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mounted Temperature Probes

Options
Just wondering if the probes on thermometers mounted in the dome or hood of the grill need to be cleaned to keep them reading accurately? If so, how often and what is the best way? I noticed some buildup on the one on my BGE when I replaced it with one for my Fireboard.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I never clean mine, seems to be ok.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Seems like a crusted up probe would be the same temperature as a clean one, since the actual sensor is inside it. I wouldn't be concerned.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    If it were connected up to a controller, it can't hurt to knock the crud off it once in a while.  

Anything on the outside of your probe is going to act as an insulator.  And the thermocouple is already behind (I assume) a stainless steel tube to protect it.

I've been able to accumulate some fair amount of crud on my dome.  For just the stock "Egg" thermometer, it's probably fine to not worry about it.  But if it's on your fireboard, you might consider keeping it clean-ish for better accuracy.