Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Use All-Clad Copper Core

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited October 2020 in Off Topic
We are in a refueling outage again, so I am working 72 hour weeks for 6 weeks (ie: tired as hell, but a sizable chunk of OT). Our current cookware is about 35 years old - purchased about 2 years after we were married and it's starting to show its age.

I am considering purchasing the 14 piece All-Clad Copper Core set from BB&B (have a 20% coupon) and I am looking for some real world feedback. 

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add: The All-Clad Hard Anodized line is not under consideration as it is coated with PTFE. I know that the harmful PFOAs were removed back in 2015 or so, but with SWMBOs asthma issues, I don't want to take the chance of the pans off-gassing something when heated. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    It's just my opinion but if you buy a 14 piece set then there's  going to be a few that are never/rarely used.  I buy one piece at a time of the most used .  But yes All-Clad CC is good stuff. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• CTMike
    bucky925 said:
    It's just my opinion but if you buy a 14 piece set then there's  going to be a few that are never/rarely used.  I buy one piece at a time of the most used .  But yes All-Clad CC is good stuff. 
    I looked at buying individual pieces from the All-Clad website (had a 15% coupon) but most everything was out of stock, and 4 pans and lids was approaching the price of the set.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I cannot address the AC copper core line but I will completely endorse the All-Clad pans that I bought many years ago.  Top quality and the heat transfer properties across the full cooking surface are impressive, especially if you have not worked with that level of pans in the past. 
    There are a few threads here that talk about cook ware that may be worth a look.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have one copper core.  I honestly can't tell the difference between it and my cheaper stuff that's about the same weight.  If I were starting out fresh knowing what I know now, I'd just buy the same stuff that commercial restaurants use.
    We bought the 10 piece D5 set at Costco for $650. Good stuff. They have the 14 piece copper core for $1400.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • CTMike
    PBandJ said:
    We bought the 10 piece D5 set at Costco for $650. Good stuff. They have the 14 piece copper core for $1400.
    Damn, that beats the BB&B deal by $200 ($2,000 - $400 for 20% coupon). Thanks for the tip.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    lousubcap said:
    I cannot address the AC copper core line but I will completely endorse the All-Clad pans that I bought many years ago.  Top quality and the heat transfer properties across the full cooking surface are impressive, especially if you have not worked with that level of pans in the past. 
    There are a few threads here that talk about cook ware that may be worth a look.  FWIW- 
    Thanks for the info Frank.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    I got a Kirkland signature copper core set from Costco for the price of 1 piece All-Clad and I am not disappointed (250$CDN).

The All-Clad is currently in-stock at the Costco in Gatineau for 1700$CDN (and maybe less) that’s 1275$US.  If you still have family in the area and a way for them to get it to you, it might be worth it.  The price is from the website and warehouse price is usually cheaper.

Have a couple of CC ALL-CLAD and find them fine. Can’t tell any better than other good pans we have. Cast iron (IMO) wins hands down. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I don’t know what the functional difference between the D5 and copper core would be, so I also don’t know what justifies the price difference. 

I’ve bought some pieces off of eBay, and have been happy with them. This stuff is practically indestructible. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    caliking said:
    I don’t know what the functional difference between the D5 and copper core would be, so I also don’t know what justifies the price difference. 

I’ve bought some pieces off of eBay, and have been happy with them. This stuff is practically indestructible. 
    From what I can tell, both CC and D5 are 5-ply pans - the center layer is steel in the D5 and Copper in the CC. The functional difference being that the copper will react to temperature changes more quickly than the steel layer in the D5 - so the pan will be quicker to heat up and cool down. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    I have three pieces of D3, a 12" covered Skillet, a 3 1/2 Qt covered Saute pan, and a 3 Qt covered Saucepan, All do exactly what they're supposed to. I might add a smaller sauce pan, but have no use for all the other pieces in the large sets. These three combined with my Le Creuset Dutch oven and a good egg pan cover all my bases. Disclaimer: We are empty nesters. If I was cooking for more than two I might feel differently. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    No real input regarding Copper Core, but we have the D5 and it's awesome.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

From what I can tell, both CC and D5 are 5-ply pans - the center layer is steel in the D5 and Copper in the CC. The functional difference being that the copper will react to temperature changes more quickly than the steel layer in the D5 - so the pan will be quicker to heat up and cool down. 
    The difference in price is significant. I haven't cooked with copper core pans, but would it be noticeable? The 2-3 sec difference between Thermapen and Thermopop comes to mind. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2020
    I've got Copper Core, D5 and their Thomas Keller line. You're not going to notice a difference between any of them. The only appreciable difference is the handles on the TK line don't suck. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i havent worn out my early 60's vintage revere ware pans yet, i upgraded the range though. they heat faster now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CTMike
    edited October 2020
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

The difference in price is significant. I haven't cooked with copper core pans, but would it be noticeable? The 2-3 sec difference between Thermapen and Thermopop comes to mind. 

Looking at the thermal conductivity of the two metals, I’m thinking it should be noticeable. Type 304 SS (typically what’s used in cookware) is even lower - around 14 BTU/hr ft degree F).

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • fishlessman
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

Looking at the thermal conductivity of the two metals, I’m thinking it should be noticeable. Type 304 SS (typically what’s used in cookware) is even lower - around 14 BTU/hr ft degree F).

my solid heavy aluminum sauce pans will heat quicker than the aluminum or copper laminated ones. the real reason you would want the laminated ones is a more even heat transfer. just make sure whatever ones you get have the core rounded up the sides to the rim. the few i had with just the bottom lamination are horrible, they burn stuff on the bottom corners around the circumference. my copper tin lined pot is best for an even simmer, thats my chowder pot
    fukahwee maine

• CTMike
    edited October 2020
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

my solid heavy aluminum sauce pans will heat quicker than the aluminum or copper laminated ones. the real reason you would want the laminated ones is a more even heat transfer. just make sure whatever ones you get have the core rounded up the sides to the rim. the few i had with just the bottom lamination are horrible, they burn stuff on the bottom corners around the circumference. my copper tin lined pot is best for an even simmer, thats my chowder pot
    The copper core pots have a magnetic SS outer ply (good for induction), a layer of aluminum, then copper, another aluminum layer, and the 304SS cooking surface. The entire pan is made this way - all five layers all the way up the sides to the outer rim. The D5 line is the same except the center core is SS instead of copper. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • fishlessman
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

The copper core pots have a magnetic SS outer ply (good for induction), a layer of aluminum, then copper, another aluminum layer, and the 304SS cooking surface. The entire pan is made this way - all five layers all the way up the sides to the outer rim. The D5 line is the same except the center core is SS instead of copper. 

wolf makes a nice set as well cored up the sides, not sure of the mag outer ply.  my stove has a large castiron simmer plate, not much need to upgrade pans but i do have a few nice pieces
    fukahwee maine

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    I have a few pieces. I like the 10" skillet the best. Also have a  8qt stock pot that we use almost every day.
    Mountain View, CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

What is the thickness of the one layer out of the five that is made from copper?

I doubt that there is enough copper mass in  those pans to make any real difference in performance.

Copper definitely will heat more evenly and will heat up and cool down more quickly but those advantages are really diminished/negated by the properties of all the other metal layers involved.

If one wants/needs a pan that can respond like copper then just buy a real solid copper pan that is either tinned or, nowadays, lined with a very thin layer of stainless.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Regarding induction:  

There's a huge difference between cookware that "will work" on induction and cookware that was designed for induction!  It's all about how much iron there is in the pan.

I had an All-Clad Copper Core sauce pan from their original line, and it was wonderful, I loved it, but when I got an induction range, it wouldn't work at all on induction.  They re-jiggered the design since, and now they "will work" on induction.  But I have a whole set of Demeyere Atlantis cookware, designed for induction, and the one skillet I have that is by All-Clad (NOT copper core, though) "works" on induction, but it doesn't heat nearly as fast, and I have to use a higher setting to get the same amount of heat.  It's very noticeable how much less well the All-Clad skillet works on induction!

If you use induction, or plan to do so in the future, I'd urge you to shop for cookware that was designed for induction, not cookware that "will work" on induction.
  • caliking
    @CTMike I'm not questioning that copper is a better conductor. Just asking whether that translates to noticeably faster heating of pans when cooking, with the intention of saving you some $$ :)

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    HeavyG said:
    If one wants/needs a pan that can respond like copper then just buy a real solid copper pan that is either tinned or, nowadays, lined with a very thin layer of stainless.
    I have a few Mauviel solid copper pieces (some tinned, some with the thin stainless liner). All are VERY thick (2.5 mm copper) and have cast iron handles. They weigh so much that I almost never use them! Also a pain to clean.

Neither a problem with the All Clad copper core. Not enough copper to be that heavy, and not exposed to make cleaning an issue.

I wouldn't spend the extra cash. My All Clad pieces are D3 (I think) and are my favorite (out of Le Creuset, Mauviel and antique cast iron).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    This is an example of my Mauviel stuff...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    This is an example of my Mauviel stuff...

whats there to clean once the patina builds up
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Never really developed a patina! Just a coating of grease.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Never really developed a patina! Just a coating of grease.
    patina =)

fukahwee maine