Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the grates and the cast iron temp regulator

Options
Does anyone have any insight on how to clean the cooking grates as well as the cast iron regulator?  I have years of caked-up soot and grime on my cooking grates and nothing seems to remove it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Does anyone have any insight on how to clean the cooking grates as well as the cast iron regulator?  I have years of caked-up soot and grime on my cooking grates and nothing seems to remove it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    High heat normally does the trick, but if you want Easy Off Oven cleaner also works. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    For the regulator, you just put it in the egg when you shut it down.  The heat will keep it clean.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sand blasting works wonders. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rickybobby12
    Options
    WOW!   Thank you for these  This is great   Much appreciated