Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-Pork Appetizer recipe help

Options
I have some co-workers coming over for a cookout next weekend and need to start planning for the appetizers.  the main course will be a Prime brisket, Mac and cheese and green beans.  one of my co-workers tries to not eat pork sometimes he does but I want to make sure he and his family have options.  I am planning scotch eggs, stuffed mushrooms but need 1 -2 more ideas/recipes from the group if possible.  Our last cookout at a different friends house was a Brazilian style BBQ (they being from brazil and all) and it was food from about 3pm -10pm.  i have a couple deserts planned as well but its going to be a 4-5 hours of appetizers.  everything i normally prepare has pork, pig shots, stuffed poppers, pork belly burnt ends, smoked queso so i am at a loss here.  any help is appreciated.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    grape jelly sweet and sour kielbasa, meatballs, deviled eggs, bufalo chicken dip, salmon croquettes

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUpload41681d32564805a53315de280471e9bdjpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JustBuggin
    Options
    ABTs using beef little smokey's without the bacon wrap. I cooked like this for a friend who doesn't eat pork and she loved them. Cooked the same as normal except I didn't flip them.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    stuffed rellenos, lots of no pork cooks with those
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Brisket sliders 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Doesn’t all have to have meat, does it?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Big batch of bruschetta, you don’t have to make them all up, we usually serve with the toasted sourdough on the side and people make up their own.

tomatoes, red onion, basil, garlic, garlic, olive oil, balsamic, shaved parm, etc.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    We have done "sausage" rolls in several ways. These have always been a hit at gathers.  Easy to prep ahead of time and easy to cook.

One variation was vegetarian. For the filling, we made a mushroom duxelle. You can drizzle the disks with a goat cheese sauce after cooking.

Prep (this can be a done a few days prior):
    1. Open up a sheet of puff pastry
    2. Cover with a filling
    3. Roll into a log
    4. Wrap in plastic wrap/foil and freeze

Day of cook:
    1. Remove rolls from freeze and thaw a bit
    2. Cut into 1/4" - 1/2" discs (they still need to be firm to cut nicely)
    3. Lay flat on a sheet pan
    4. Cook 375* for 25-ish minutes
    We have done these in the oven as well as on the egg indirect.

Other variations of the filling we have done that include pork are:
    • Hot Italian Sausage, basil, parmesan
    • Chorizo, cotija cheese

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Kent8621
    Options
    Legume said:
    Big batch of bruschetta, you don’t have to make them all up, we usually serve with the toasted sourdough on the side and people make up their own.

tomatoes, red onion, basil, garlic, garlic, olive oil, balsamic, shaved parm, etc.
    i never east vegetables so i didnt think of this.  this would be a good one, lighter before the brisket and mac and cheese.

Boiler Up!!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Green lighting shrimp. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Jalapeno poppers stuffed with crunchy peanut butter.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Blistered shishito peppers, empanadas, Spanish tortilla, cheese/charcuterie tray, ABTs w/o bacon, veggies w/dip, baked brie, Spanish croquettes, bruschetta, chips and salsa/guacamole, spiced nuts...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Blistered shishito peppers, empanadas, Spanish tortilla, cheese/charcuterie tray, ABTs w/o bacon, veggies w/dip, baked brie, Spanish croquettes, bruschetta, chips and salsa/guacamole, spiced nuts...

do you have a recipe or style for the spanish croquettes, im seeing rice...potato...bechemel based ones. only one ive eaten is the italian rice ball version. buffalo chicken rice balls with blue cheese dressing is killer
    fukahwee maine

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    pf changs style chicken-lettuce wraps

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SciAggie
    edited September 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:

do you have a recipe or style for the spanish croquettes, im seeing rice...potato...bechemel based ones. only one ive eaten is the italian rice ball version. buffalo chicken rice balls with blue cheese dressing is killer
    This is my interpretation of Spanish croquettes:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1219643/i-bring-to-you-fried-gravy/p1

This is bechamel based. I really like being able to make them ahead and freeze them. Just make the quenelles, roll in flour and freeze - then batter and fry right before serving. You don't have to thaw them beforehand.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    funny, i already had the jamon serrano recipe printed out, yours looks more interesting
    fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    Options
    funny, i already had the jamon serrano recipe printed out, yours looks more interesting
    For the OP, just leave out the ham. If you just think of them as fried bechamel (gravy) - then flavor it however you please. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @fishlessman I'll also add that I've decided less = more for these. I leave out the chicken and most of the cheese now. I really like a simple bechamel with green chilies added. Too many additions interferes with the creaminess that makes them so delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • the_crease
    Options
     Chicken wings? 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like grilled baby portabella mushrooms basted with melted butter and Lawry's seasoned salt with some hickory chunks in the charcoal.
    Wife never liked mushrooms before she tried this, she is a convert now!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Kabobs, chicken kabobs, who wouldn't like those 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Veggie platter
    Ice cream puffs
    Roasted tomatoes
    Fried green tomatoes
    Bluecheese stuffed figs or dates
    Seared Halloumi and honey
    Charred veggies
    Churros
    Elote
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    egg baked alaska
    fukahwee maine

• Kent8621
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Kabobs, chicken kabobs, who wouldn't like those 
    these look great.

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    I like grilled baby portabella mushrooms basted with melted butter and Lawry's seasoned salt with some hickory chunks in the charcoal.
    Wife never liked mushrooms before she tried this, she is a convert now!  =)
    i was thinking a stuff mushroom, i may try this, thank you

Boiler Up!!