Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Flu Shot OT

Options

Comments

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    I have not had the shot in some years because im horrible about putting off health stuff.  Here is my resolution to get one as soon as the company voucher is available.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I hope it doesn’t get trampled by a herd of enraged herbivores. I posted it specifically to get as many people vaccinated as possible. So I am not going into antivaxxers.
    I hope I am not trampling. I am far from a, herbivore, or a antivaxxer. Just my experience...

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited September 2020
    Options
    RRP said:
    From the other side of the coin...I only had 1 flu shot in my life and that was 57 years ago and was mandatory my freshman year in college (back when they could make you do things LOL). Then my wife taught school for 37 years and never has had a single flu shot! We figure she was exposed to every known virus during that time and shared the bugs with me whereby we built up some form of immunity. BTW I have mentioned this to my doctor of 52 years just as recently as Tuesday and he likewise has never had a flu shot himself and speculates the same immunity from his exposures over the years. Maybe we are just lucky.
    that's just luck. nothing more. The flu shot will not hurt you. Can only help. Yes, it CAN but probably won't make you feel less than perfect for a day but it doesn't "give" you the flu. I would go so far as to say that if you haven't had it for that long, statistically, you have about run out of luck and you are not a good demographic to run out of that luck. You and your wife please go get your shot. This is coming from a medical professional.  Your doctor, by the way, could almost be accused of malpractice for not encouraging a flu shot for anyone in your age group. Not trying to be controversial.  Just trying to educate. Thanks. 

Also, yes we all know you CAN still get the flu despite the fact that you are vaccinated  but at the very least it decreases the severity if what you get happens to be a different strain.   

Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    AprèsSki said:
    RRP said:
    From the other side of the coin...BTW I have mentioned this to my doctor of 52 years just as recently as Tuesday and he likewise has never had a flu shot himself and speculates the same immunity from his exposures over the years.
    You need a new doctor
    I'll wait until both my doctor and I and my wife of 54 years come down with the flu.
    BUT I will be kind and say THANK YOU for your opinion. Nice that we can share such opinions here on a BBQ grill forum, huh? without getting violent, vulgar or political! huh?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you want to excercise your immune system, get the flu shot every year.
    Options
    If you want to excercise your immune system, get the flu shot every year.
    Fine -  I'm just 57 years worth of flu shots behind all the rest of you! 

I'm out of here! - Good night.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • etherdome
    Options
     I'm just 57 years worth of flu shots behind all the rest of you! 

Fact.  
    Upstate SC
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Anybody have a recipe for a kick-butt flu vaccine?
  • nolaegghead
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Anybody have a recipe for a kick-butt flu vaccine?
    Sure, I do.  Which recipe do you want?  Egg-based, cell-based or recombinant? 
    I think we would all prefer egg based.😜
    Upstate SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Not being political. Not being boastful. Ive never had a shot and by the grace of God have never had the flu. Not by a doctors orders. Just have never had one and no plans to get one this year but thats just me.

God also gave you a brain.  I’m assuming he intended for you to use it.

Get the shot folks.  It looks like this season could be quite mild compared to recent years, in no small part due to all the social distancing people are still practicing, but you still don’t want to get a bad case or worse yet pass it on to someone you love who is really vulnerable.  This is about being a responsible member of society.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    People make their own decisions, I get that, but I’ll never understand why some attach pride to something like “never got the shot, never been sick” as if their immune system scored high on the SATs or something.  More likely you somehow managed to avoid exposure.

If you had skipped poliovirus or small pox vaccines, you could claim the same thing as your odds of getting those today are low...because everyone gets those vaccines and usually as a child when it’s your parents making the choice.  

Do you get your tetanus booster every 10 years?  

I don’t understand the deal with flu vaccine - is it because it’s yearly?  Or people don’t think of it as potentially fatal, just more like a bad cold?

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I am relatively healthy (for my advance years) and I am low risk for the flu. No kids (little Petri dishes), safe work environment, etc. I used to skip getting the flu shot for no particular reason other than laziness, but a few years back I figured that it couldn't hurt. It has been a couple of decades since I had the flu, but as convenient as getting the shot has become, I get it every year. I will probably wait anther two weeks, though. I have to get some other shots and I might as well get them all at once.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I was planning to get my doctor to tell me which shots that I needed boosters for during my annual wellness checkup(free of cost during that checkup, had a colonoscopy as part of the last one). I know that I need a tetanus booster, there is a newer and improved pneumonia shot, I have had the newer shingles vaccine. I don’t know the rest but that is why I pay him.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have to admit being pretty lazy about getting a flu shot myself for many years.  And that's all it was - just sheer laziness and thinking "well how bad could it really be anyway?"  

Then one year our whole family got the flu.  Thankfully none of us had to be hospitalized but we were miserable for a solid week.  I remember the body aches being the worst part, because you're so uncomfortable you can't even sleep.

That was enough for all of us.  Since that time the whole family gets them every year.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Yep, go ahead and get it folks.  The kid will be getting hers at her annual checkup later this month, and my wife and I were just talking about how/when we were going to get ours.  Usually it is wait until we get the blast email that they’re available at the office, and then schedule our appointments.  Since we’re not going to the office, obviously that won’t work this year.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Options
    I have to admit being pretty lazy about getting a flu shot myself for many years.  And that's all it was - just sheer laziness and thinking "well how bad could it really be anyway?"  

Then one year our whole family got the flu.  Thankfully none of us had to be hospitalized but we were miserable for a solid week.  I remember the body aches being the worst part, because you're so uncomfortable you can't even sleep.

That was enough for all of us.  Since that time the whole family gets them every year.  
    Yep, we too were lazy for years about this.  The availability at Walgreens and work seemed to tip it for us.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    BUT...BUT...DOESN'T IT CAUSE AUTISM AND AIDS!?
    Options
    I READ THAT ON FACEBOOK!!!
    Options

Options
    Stop making this political Carey.

Oh, never mind.  This thread still isn’t political.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Yes, every year.  And, I am a 3rd grade teacher.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Legume
    Options
    Most doctors are independent at maybe 30 yo?  Maybe 52 years ago that was 28?  So, that’s an 80yo doctor at this point.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Please, I want this thread to last until at least Monday. No need to beat our heads against a brick wall.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Check your facts @Legume
    Doogie Howser MD Disney Orders Reboot of 1990s Dramedy Series - canceled   renewed TV shows - TV Series Finale

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    You are wrong sir. It is big pharmas way of injecting us all with the 5G microchips to track our movements and gain herd compliance with the giant COVID conspiracy. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    Options
    5G wha?!  AIEEEEEEEE!
    never got one before, this will be the first year
    Ditto

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • AprèsSki
    Options
    RRP said:
    AprèsSki said:
    RRP said:
    From the other side of the coin...BTW I have mentioned this to my doctor of 52 years just as recently as Tuesday and he likewise has never had a flu shot himself and speculates the same immunity from his exposures over the years.
    You need a new doctor
    I'll wait until both my doctor and I and my wife of 54 years come down with the flu.
    BUT I will be kind and say THANK YOU for your opinion. Nice that we can share such opinions here on a BBQ grill forum, huh? without getting violent, vulgar or political! huh?
    That was heartfelt advice. According to the credentialing folks and underwriters, physicians are at their peak about 7 years post-residency.

I would not recommend a physician who has been practicing for over 50 years to any of my loved ones.

I wish you well and hope that your flu avoidance technique keeps working.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Got mine early this year. “Free” at CVS (Aetna), in and out in 5 minutes. Encouraging family and friends to do the same. I’ve yet to hear a rational reason why ya wouldn’t, although I admit in prior years I’ve forgotten or been lazy or just neglected to geterdun. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .