Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Roof Gutter Repair Options

Options
My home has seamless aluminum gutters, with a couple end caps and ten 90 degree angle pieces.  There are seams where these pieces attach to the gutters, sealed with a white adhesive.  After 15 years this adhesive is deteriorated, resulting in minor drips from those locations. 
Ideally those seams could be resealed without the need for disassembly.  Ideas on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.
I am considering the aerosol FlexSeal product.  No experience with it however.  Thoughts?
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m with you on this one. My gutters are 18yrs old and had the same issue you’re talking about.  I have gutter helmets (hate) so I removed a couple of helmet sections each way of the corner and got rid of the roof grit and bad sealant and let everything dry for a couple of days.  Once it was dry I took NP1 urethane sealant and recaulked the joints and the pop rivets that held the joints together.  This was 6months ago and I’m still drip free.  Just use a good sealant and you’ll be fine.  I’ve never tried the FlexSeal so can’t comment on that 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    I recently had a "gutter tune-up" done at the new house. Seamless aluminum guttering, 180 feet in all. They used a product called Buytl-Flex and sealed the end caps, corners and downspouts.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• leemschu
    Options
    You can get gutter sealant at your local Lowe’s or HD. Where ever it is dripping you can remove the old when possible and but a bead of new. You can go over the old but I don’t recommend it cause it could cause you to hold water.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited September 2020
    Options
      I have gutter helmets (hate) 
    Not sure why you hate your Gutter Helmet. I've had mine for maybe 15 years and just signed a contract 2 weeks ago to have 3 sections some 29 feet long in total replaced. Partly due to a tree falling on my roof crushing the helmet and the rest due to the roofers who I now know must have stepped on it in a few places and broke the brackets which keep the helmet in proper distance from the gutter underneath. Could the re-roofing be part of the reason you hate them?

My only complaint is HUGE icicles form and I have to get out and bust them. Even at that it sure beats having to clean my gutters!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @RRP - My roof is a 12/12 and mostly on 2nd story and has a couple of dormers and a higher roof section that all dump into a couple of areas. With that kind of volume of water it runs right over the helmets and dumps on the ground. I took a couple of areas of helmets off and installed screens and am way more satisfied. Helmets may not be bad on lower pitch roofs but in my situation they suck 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    @RRP - My roof is a 12/12 and mostly on 2nd story and has a couple of dormers and a higher roof section that all dump into a couple of areas. With that kind of volume of water it runs right over the helmets and dumps on the ground. I took a couple of areas of helmets off and installed screens and am way more satisfied. Helmets may not be bad on lower pitch roofs but in my situation they suck 
    I gotcha! I can see where that would be a major problem! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PBandJ
    Options
    Home Depot or Lowe’s sells the sealant. It’s called gutter seal. Look in the gutter section of the store.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Go gutterless. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    forget flex-seal
    I have yankee gutters/box gutters ( they are built in) sprayed heavily on some areas, no affect!  :|
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I have used this product - Flexseal. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I used the flexseal spray on a corner that was leaking like a year ago. Noticed it was leaking again and checked and the flexseal was gone. I put like half a can in the corner and went like 8” each direction and you couldnt even tell it was ever there. It might work good for some things but this isnt it. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Go gutterless

I understand that is an option in some circumstances.  My area brings regular thunderstorms with 2+ inches of rain at times.  If that happens and a gutter or downspout is blocked by debris, water in the basement is possible.  The gutters prevent that.

Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Flex seal you guys? Really?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    Options
    Thanks all for the insights.  FlexSeal got my attention as the aerosol application was attractive.  Based on what you folks are saying, that is not the correct solution to my problem.
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    All joking aside I like Solar Seal products, I use their #900 when installing corrugated metal roofs. It looks like they make a gutter seal

Maybe worth a look.

On the repair, I have never done one but if i were, I would get up into the gutter with scotch bright and soap to clean, rough, and prep the surface. once it is dry glue the seam from the inside and try to squeeze it into/under the seam.

Also I assume you are talking about a dripping connection while it is raining, because if you have water in your gutters and they turn into bird baths for a few days they need to be adjusted to drain.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    Options
    All joking aside I like Solar Seal products, I use their #900 when installing corrugated metal roofs. It looks like they make a gutter seal

Maybe worth a look.

On the repair, I have never done one but if i were, I would get up into the gutter with scotch bright and soap to clean, rough, and prep the surface. once it is dry glue the seam from the inside and try to squeeze it into/under the seam.

Also I assume you are talking about a dripping connection while it is raining, because if you have water in your gutters and they turn into bird baths for a few days they need to be adjusted to drain.

Thank you, lots of good info provided there.  I clean them twice a year using a garden hose, the drainage slope seems fine.  Mainly wanting to seal up the dripping before it progresses to a steady stream.

Great Plains, USA