Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Rocks! Aka Happy with Rockwood!

Options
Just thought I would serve this up as an alternative news source B)  Likely many here do not know that when Firecraft quit shipping lump charcoal (including Rockwood) Rockwood stepped up and set up an on-line source.  This was done in a matter of weeks to continue to source their product to consumers who otherwise were left hanging.  I for one appreciate their responsiveness both with the above and the order fulfillment.  
BTW- I am sure the order fulfillment is directly connected with their use of the three lettered shipping company.
Be healthy and stay safe-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• sumoconnell
    Options
    It's all I use too
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like the product. 
    Made in USA!
    The owner is actively involved here!
    The product is so very reliable.  

I direct all who seek.  . . To rockwood 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Here is another appreciator of such a fine product. Since I began using Rockwood, the meal quality has increased significantly. 

If I do not use Rockwood on a meal, it will not be cooked.

The best addition to egging for me.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Great product.  Very happy with it. I never bought multiple bags of charcoal at a time until I started using Rockwood. But now I want to be sure I have some on hand at all times. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    It’s all I use, thankfully my local ACE stocks it. Never been disappointed in the product.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • danlbrown
    Options
    What’s the cost of a $20 lb bag at Ace vs the website?
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    danlbrown said:
     Not sure - what weighs more?  A pound of feathers or a pound of gold.   =)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Here is the link- https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/  You can do your own work.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    “Rockwood Rocks!” first had me wondering whether this was about stones in your charcoal.  ;) 

Being a Canadian, I have never before come across Rockwood in any of the retail establishments I frequent. I have never looked into an online order. Although generally very happy with the Basque’s that I use, I’ve seen so much praise for Rockwood over the years that I really should give it a try. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    A pound of feathers weighs more. Feathers are weighed in Avoirdupois ounces, 16 to the pound. Gold is measured in Troy ounces, 12 to the pound. 

Avoirdupois ounce equals 28.35 grams, Troy ounce equals 31.1 grams. Therefore, a pound of feathers is 453.6 grams while a pound of gold is 373.2 grams.

Even with the lesser weight, I would rather have a pound of gold.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Yno said:
    A pound of feathers weighs more. Feathers are weighed in Avoirdupois ounces, 16 to the pound. Gold is measured in Troy ounces, 12 to the pound. 

Avoirdupois ounce equals 28.35 grams, Troy ounce equals 31.1 grams. Therefore, a pound of feathers is 453.6 grams while a pound of gold is 373.2 grams.

Even with the lesser weight, I would rather have a pound of gold.
    Just wow. I learned something to this morning.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I do love Rockwood and have burned hundreds of bags but the last two bags I had a few larger pieces that were not fully carbonized. Never had that before.
    Jacksonville FL
  • carrda04
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I do love Rockwood and have burned hundreds of bags but the last two bags I had a few larger pieces that were not fully carbonized. Never had that before.
    I'm still a die hard, but I'll confess I have had a few pieces that were heavy as a log and visually not fully carbonized in the last couple of bags. Not a big deal, but was first. Also have a size the shape (and nearly the size of) Texas in my current bag. Keep forgetting to grab the hammer!
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • HogFather
    Options
    I use Jealous Devil. It's Fire!
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    danlbrown said:
    Join ace rewards.  I have about 25 dollars of rewards to use.  My main issue is that I never remember to redeem the rewards.  Ace counts on that methinks. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    carrda04 said:
    Dobie said:
    I'm still a die hard, but I'll confess I have had a few pieces that were heavy as a log and visually not fully carbonized in the last couple of bags. Not a big deal, but was first. Also have a size the shape (and nearly the size of) Texas in my current bag. Keep forgetting to grab the hammer!
    I love rockwood also.  When I get an oversized piece, I whack it with the end of the ash tool that is always by my eggs.  That usually gets the job done.  Funny thing about that ash tool is I find it very useful but not for its intended purpose.  It is great for lifting a grate and breaking lump.  But I never use it to clean ash. Kick ash basket and shop vac do all of my ash cleanup. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Since switching from Royal Oak to Rockwood the consumers of my food say that it is a heck of an improvement in taste. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • carrda04
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    Since switching from Royal Oak to Rockwood the consumers of my food say that it is a heck of an improvement in taste. 
    100%. I thought this was being overblown when I first read people talking about it. Then I started to think all my cooks were starting to taste the same. One cook with Rockwood at 500 and everything started tasting like the unique cook it was. I was sold. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN