Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plum’d butt

FarmingPhD
FarmingPhD Posts: 839
edited August 2020 in Pork
We made plum jam from the plums our neighbors gave us and thought why not do a YukonRon inspired variation of his peach preserve butt.  Coated the butt in plum jam and then coated with a home rub and onto the egg with cherry wood.  Would love to swing this with plum wood, but none readily available.  I had a friend give me some plum branches years ago that I smoked a bunch of pork and chicken with that had great flavor, so I’ll make sure to let my neighbor know that I’ll take any decent checks when pruning.   Should be done around time for dinner.

The. For good measure, I decided to try making a plum jam based sauce for later based roughly on a KC style sauce.  I got a little too much vinegar and my jam is on the tarter side, so it has more bite on the back end than I think it should.  I like a vinegar based sauce on pork as it cuts into the fat well in my opinion, so it should work out. White sugar, salt, and pepper missing in the pic before everyone went in the pool.

Comments