Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first tri-tip

Options
I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out.  I used the CGS Spider and half stone to cook indirectly to 115 F using a Thermoworks Dot probe.  Then I seared 3 minutes per side at 500 and pulled. 

Here is where I need some help.   I knew the grain shifted and my cuts, I think, started well, but I had a really tough time identifying where the grain shifted as I went further up the tri-tip.  The tri-tip was only 1.65 lbs.

Any suggestions for the next time?

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
Memphis  

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Looks Great!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Fine job. It looks like you have been cooking try-tip for years!

The grain changes direction in the center area. It's easy to see while the meat is raw. Just make a mental note on where it is before you start the cook.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I did one yesterday that grain ran the same direction throughout.  Odd, I know.  With it being easy to see precook I will take a pic as reference.  

Protein looks great btw 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Fine job. It looks like you have been cooking try-tip for years!

The grain changes direction in the center area. It's easy to see while the meat is raw. Just make a mental note on where it is before you start the cook.
    Yikes!

TRI-tip. Darn spell-checker.  :|
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Something like this:

I’ve only cooked similar to the op’s method. To say they are rare here is putting it mildly. I used Mickey’s Coffee Rub on it which I highly recommend. BTW I copied this handy pic in case I luck out and find another but don’t tell me red meat poo pooing Doc.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  Like Gulfcoastguy, tri-tips are unicorns in Memphis.  I found this one at Whole Foods.  

How thin do you slice?  I went number 2 pencil width like I do on brisket.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    maybe try cutting in 1/2  B)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I mark it with a cut. something deep enough to see it after cooking. I also cut a corner off brisket so i can just continue the slices from there. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.