Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What's the loudest concert you've attended? - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
edited August 2020 in Off Topic
Might be a fun thread, plus let us reminisce about the days when we could go to concerts....  :|

For me, it was unexpected: Todd Rundgren and Utopia.  Incredibly talented band, Todd is Godd, all four sang both lead/harmonies, all four wrote, and multi-instrument abilities out the ying-yang!  I have all their albums and all their concert DVDs (four for Utopia alone!)  
But dayam they were loud!  And not a good, clean loud, just distorted all to hell, like your neighborkid's stereo in his Chevette (but MUCH louder).  My ears rang for three days.  

What's yours?  

EDIT:  woohoo, I was able to find a video of a Willie solo, on the World's Coolest Drum Set!  And if you're interested, let the video play through, and you can see Utopia on the "Mike Douglas" show, little bit better video/sound.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6v47rBe9D8 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    You know what they say “if you remember it you probably weren’t there”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The location was a bar in Columbia SC. It was on Rosewood Drive, but don’t recall the name of the establishment. .....Band called Head East. They were a hard driving rock band back in my much younger days. It might have escalation  as I was right in front of a speaker stack.....

A strong second would be Black Oak Arkansas. Loved those guys. I did not attend a Grateful Dead show during the wall of sound tours. I am certain they would have made the list if we were given a could-a been vote. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Options
    This actually made me chuckle, as there was a guy in the front row who was head-banging to a violent amount at the start of the show, and you could tell the audience directly behind him were clearly irritated.
    Next time I looked down at him, he was still head-banging.  But at a tempo quite slower than the music.
    Next time I looked down at him, he was slumped to the side, and immobile.  The folks behind him were now enjoying the show.
    Last time I looked down at him, I saw an empty seat.  :lol:  

And I'll be honest, I didn't even drink beer before a concert.  I LOVE music, and in those days could rarely afford a ticket, so I wouldn't overload my bladder and miss part of the show.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• northGAcock
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    This actually made me chuckle, as there was a guy in the front row who was head-banging to a violent amount at the start of the show, and you could tell the audience directly behind him were clearly irritated.
    Next time I looked down at him, he was still head-banging.  But at a tempo quite slower than the music.
    Next time I looked down at him, he was slumped to the side, and immobile.  The folks behind him were now enjoying the show.
    Last time I looked down at him, I saw an empty seat.  :lol:  

And I'll be honest, I didn't even drink beer before a concert.  I LOVE music, and in those days could rarely afford a ticket, so I wouldn't overload my bladder and miss part of the show.  
    He was an under achiever. (Head banger not you Botch)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The Black Keys at Jazz Fest
    Options
    I fought my way up to 2nd row at a Rage Against The Machine concert once and remember it being loud. 

Pearl Jam was one of the loudest but it was because of everyone singing along. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Options
     .....Band called Head East. They were a hard driving rock band back in my much younger days. It might have escalation  as I was right in front of a speaker stack.....

A strong second would be Black Oak Arkansas. Loved those guys. I did not attend a Grateful Dead show during the wall of sound tours. I am certain they would have made the list if we were given a could-a been vote. 
    Yes!  My last band played at the HAFB Club on New Year's Eve, and I was surprised when over half of my office showed up with their spouses, so cool!  We opened with "Never Been Any Reason" (very keyboard-centric), we packed the dance floor (Opening Number!) and my coworkers' jaws were on the floor.  One of the coolest gigs I've ever done.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvL6aqJxMA

I've heard, too, that the Grateful Dead had incredibly loud shows, but it was clean sound.   

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Huh? What? Whatdidyousay? My ears are ringing...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Motörhead. With lots of whiskey. 
    NOLA
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Plasmatics, with Wendy O. Williams.  Roadhouse type place with couple hundred people, at any rate probably double what should have been in there.
    Two things stayed with me... loudest music I think I ever heard and the one and only time I wished to be a microphone.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Foo Fighters. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Worst and loudest was the Smashing Pumpkins.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I wouldn't call it ear-shattering, but for me the loudest was The Black Crowes in a smallish theater.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Worst and loudest was the Smashing Pumpkins.
    That's funny. I hear Billy doesn't play their top hits at their concerts. Something about how fans should appreciate all the "art" they do. Puke. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Foo fighters on the floor of the Vivino arena a couple of years ago.  We saw them like 4 years before that at the maverik center and the Vivint was waaaaayyyyyy louder. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Leaning on the stage at a Thin Lizzy concert, 1982. Lots of ear ringers, but that was probably the loudest of them.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Coldplay 2016 in Philly. I have never seen/heard that many people (70k) sing that loudly in unison. It was an amazing show. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Any time I saw CLUTCH, it was pretty loud.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Korn in 2003.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    rock bar just outside harvard square, TT The Bears, dont remember the punk rock bands name, do remember being in the mosh pit watching the harvard girls tearing each others clothes off. left TT's and my car was towed to the fenways, 2 in the morning i ask 5 black guys sitting on a stoop drinking where the tow yard is, they point down the street, walking away my friend yells back something derogatory, they all stand up, i clocked him good, they sat down, he ran away, i ended up leaving him there, got the car and drove back to new hampshire =) b52's were loud, ramones were the back up, still listen to the ramones, cape cod coliseum was open floor, was so packed that my feet didnt touch the floor for a good hour
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Ted Nugent, Norfolk Scope. Couldn’t hear a thing until I was home in Virginia Beach.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    AC/DC, 1981(I think) - For Those About to Rock We Salute You tour. It was at the Checkerdome, home of Blues hockey at the time. Even with napkin ear plugs my head rang for a day. The cannons were less loud than the amplifiers...
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Went to see TOOL at Roseland Ballroom in NYC in 1992 or 1993.  I left with two black eyes from some significant time in the mosh pit.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Went to see TOOL at Roseland Ballroom in NYC in 1992 or 1993.  I left with two black eyes from some significant time in the mosh pit.
    That is a quality outing.

• northGAcock
    Options
    Botch said:
     .....Band called Head East. They were a hard driving rock band back in my much younger days. It might have escalation  as I was right in front of a speaker stack.....

Yes!  My last band played at the HAFB Club on New Year's Eve, and I was surprised when over half of my office showed up with their spouses, so cool!  We opened with "Never Been Any Reason" (very keyboard-centric), we packed the dance floor (Opening Number!) and my coworkers' jaws were on the floor.  One of the coolest gigs I've ever done. 
    I have been cataloging my vinyl collection recently (about 65% complete) and have logged four of their releases. Your referenced tune is a classic. Getting deeper (again) into their collection is one of my desired goals in the coming months. Not at full volume though.  B)

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Alan Parsons Project at Chastain Park. My ears hurt!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Metallica and Guns N' Roses twin bill at Giants Stadium.  My ears rang for 3 days.  Bonus coverage from Wikipedia:

On July 29, 1992, while Guns N' Roses was playing during the second show at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose encountered severe pain in his throat, but he continued the show until he was hit in the genitals by a cigarette lighter thrown from the audience during "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", so Rose retreated backstage to regain his energy, while bassist Duff McKagan took over on vocals and then the show ended.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Plastic Bertrand. Tout petit la planet 

kidding - Van Hagar in Dallas. So loud. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Midnight Oil @ the Original Austin Opry House on S Congress in ~1988 I am guessing.  It was so loud I couldnt be in the arena I had to sit outside in the entry area.  They had a bar, I could hear the music fine, I didnt need to see it.

From that Night forward I bring those foam earplugs to any music event.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    The location was a bar in Columbia SC. It was on Rosewood Drive, but don’t recall the name of the establishment. .....Band called Head East. They were a hard driving rock band back in my much younger days. It might have escalation  as I was right in front of a speaker stack.....

Dundee's!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes